What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Now 10 years - Gary Moore (ex Thin Lizzy) passes at age 58

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Now 10 years - Gary Moore (ex Thin Lizzy) passes at age 58

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Oh my God – NO!!!!
Gary was totally unique as an artist - without doubt one of my very favourite guitarists and singers.

His "Wild Frontier" album from 1987 is an absolute classic, and he has created/co-created so many songs that bring back happy memories to me and mine.

Technically and artistically talented in a way that most guitarists can only dream of.

The guy was only 58 – unbelievable.

Terrible, terrible news :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Image Image

Last edited by Heavy Metal Spike on February 6th, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

le Gardien
Finger Painter

Re: Gary Moore (ex Thin Lizzy) passes at age 58

#2 Post by le Gardien »

:cry:
So sad

boxerdog
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by boxerdog »

bad news indeed.

Heavy Metal Spike

#4 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Reports are surfacing that this may have been down to Gary choking on his own vomit.

The original source appears to be the UK's "Sun" newspaper, which is well known for embellishing and exaggerating stories (it appeals to the Neanderthal type).

We should know for sure once other parts of the press start to report their own (rather than copied) details.

Heavy Metal Spike

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

The BW&BK board is lighting up with various people commenting on Gary's passing.

Here's the link for the search - http://www.bravewords.com/search?q=gary+moore (then you can browse the various articles on your own if you wish).

Currently looks like this:

.......... Image

Although it in no way even starts to balance the sad loss of a virtuoso genius, I appreciated this bit of news - http://www.bravewords.com/news/155630
  • "A complete version of THIN LIZZY's legendary 1978 performance at Sydney Opera House featuring GARY MOORE has recently been unearthed. The person holding the footage is willing to make this available for a full commercial release and discussions were due to take place with interested parties in early February.

The unreleased footage is completely different to the countless versions that have been released officially or otherwise over the years. The complete concert features different camera angles and extra songs.

• The complete set is as follows:

Jailbreak
      Bad Reputation
      Warriors
      Don’t Believe A Word
      Waiting For An Alibi
      Still In Love With You
      Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed'
      Cowboy Song
      The Boys Are Back In Town
      Suicide
      Are You Ready
      Baby Drives Me Crazy
      Me And The Boys Were Wondering How You And The Girls Were Getting Home From Here Tonight
    Following the sad passing of Lizzy legend Gary Moore we believe that the release of this concert featuring Gary would be a fitting tribute to his memory."

JamieCk
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by JamieCk »

:( I was deeply shocked to see the news when I logged onto AOL earlier. Gary was a genius and very soulful player. Besides Wild Frontier which is a true classic, Still Got The Blues is and essential disc to own. I was only listening to Around The Next Bend (the album he recorded with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker) a couple of days ago.

I will always remember an interview he did for the BBC's Rock School series in the mid 80's. He commented on the trend for super fast widdly, widdly lead breaks as being nothing more than, "Look how big my willie is!" :lol:

RIP Mr Moore.

regards
Jamie
"You kids touch my car, I'll come round yer houses an' stamp on all yer toys!"

Save our hobby, avoid recasts!

Heavy Metal Spike

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Gary was laid to rest on Wednesday 23rd February 2011 in a small village graveyard outside Brighton.

It has been fortunate that the Clubhouse has been “out of commission” for much of the last 2 weeks since I was not able to post my disdain and anger towards those quarters of the British gutter-press that will do anything to exaggerate, twist, exploit and hurt those connected with anyone in the public eye. Gary (per Phil 25 years ago) ended up on the unjust receiving end of their blinkered quest for increasing sales at the expense of anybody they consider “fair game”.

The day that the likes of “The Sun”, “The Mirror” and “The Mail” (et al) die their long–deserved deaths is much anticipated by me. God forbid their current audience suddenly has to learn to read & write or figure out fact from innuendo.

What has been apparent to anybody that cared, or bothered to research, was the love that Rock fans and the musical community had and ALWAYS will have for Gary.

I have been compiling tributes – and they have kept coming in from so many. I’ll share them in batches.

.................... http://andieairfix.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... the-years/

.................... Image
  • (01) From the official Thin Lizzy website (http://www.thinlizzyband.com/)
    It is with great sadness we hear of the passing of Gary Moore. Our thoughts go out to Gary's family at this time and our memories of Gary and his contribution to Thin Lizzy and music in general will live on forever.
    • • Brian Downey - I am in total shock. I have known Gary since 1967 when he was in Platform Three and he's been an amazing friend ever since. It was a pleasure to play with Gary again in 2006 after his days with Lizzy. He will always be in my thoughts and prayers and I just can't believe he is gone.
      • Scott Gorham - Playing with Gary during the Black Rose era was a great experience, he was a great player and a great guy. I will miss him. [It was] an honor to have stood on the same stage with him.
    The band dedicated the concert at the Vienna Arena Sunday night [6th Feb] to Gary.

(02) Hot Press editor Niall Stokes
    He was a genius player, even as a teenager, he had something special about him and throughout his career he worked really hard at improving his technique. His contribution to the Irish rock canon was immense, both in his own solo work, his days with Skid Row, the great records he recorded with Philip Lynott and with Thin Lizzy and in various other cameos. My heart goes out to all of his close friends and family. It is a huge loss.

(03) Anger as Art mainman Steve Gaines
    Super Bowl Sunday, and I find this news.... simply terrible. This hits me as hard as RONNIE DIO's passing. About ten years ago, I was starting to make the jump from bass to guitar... and was lacking some inspiration. While working on some Pagan War Machine recordings, I was shown some live video of Gary Moore, and quite simply it changed my life. Instead of the shreddy, arpeggio swepping whammy bar guys that dominate the thrash scene, here was a guy who played bluesy hard rock - who could hold a note for what seemed like forever ('Parisienne Walkways') that would bring tears to your eyes. From there I discovered his whole career... blues, prog, whatever, he did it better than most. It is not a stretch to say that if not for Gary Moore, that first Anger as Art album never would have been done. Unashamedly I admit to ripping off his technique for that whole record. Gary, I hope Phil (Lynott) was there to greet you. You guys have some time now... go find Cozy (Powell), and we expect that you have a few records worth of material for us by the time we join you. Rest In Peace Gazza!

(04) Opeth guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt
    We are devastated to hear about the passing of Gary Moore. Both myself and Fredrik (Åkesson; guitar) are massive fans of his, and we've been listening to his music since we're kids. He was such a integral part of our musical upbringing, so it's with great sadness we have to try and accept these horrible news. One of the very best hard rock lead guitar players EVER! We love you Gary, rest in peace.

(05) Nightwish singer Anette Olzon
    A super guitarist and for me, a man who has given me wonderful songs to listen to and dance my first slow dances to, has been found dead early this morning in Spain. He was so young still, just 58 years old and it´s just a big loss for music …. I hope you may rest in peace, Gary, and thanks for all the songs I just love!

(06) Black Sabbath / Heaven and Hell bassist Geezer Butler
    I was very saddened to hear of the passing of one of the greatest guitarists of all time - Gary Moore. His Still Got The Blues album was one of the great albums, certainly one of my favourites. His way of playing can not be learned - it comes from the soul. R.I.P Gary.

(07) Lyraka guitarist Andy DiGelsomina
    My tears have flowed, sobs racked through me. Gary Moore was a player that gave me so much enthusiasm for playing. His high degree of aggression, unearthly sense of timing, and volcanic passion was rarely matched in rock guitar history. I can't count how many times I've been awed by Gary's playing, going back over 30 years now. His playing always brought to fore that childlike enthusiasm that first made me pick up guitar. His playing made me feel huge and powerful, and I dreamed of sounding as massive and confident as Gary. For most of my life I referred to him as Scary Gary, because his tone and attack were like a musical Godzilla. Today I call him a much mourned guitar friend, one I deeply regret having never met.

(08) Author and musician Joel Gausten
    Anyone serious about their Rock N' Roll has at least one true guitar hero. I lost mine this morning. In many ways, my love of Gary Moore's beautiful guitar playing - especially on THIN LIZZY's incomparable Black Rose album - gave me a career. If I never fell in love with that amazing work, I might not have ended up as a music book publisher. Some of the earliest independent writing I ever produced was about this man's work with Thin Lizzy. As I complete work on an upcoming book chapter devoted to Black Rose, it shatters me to know I must now add this painful postscript. My deepest condolences to Bob Daisley and other mutual friends who worked with Gary in creating the magic that went into a Gary Moore album and live performance. Listen to Gary Moore's music today, and let it move you. A special man's momentum has ceased, a legend has left our world. Rest in peace, Gary. And thank you.

(09) Bob Daisley
    It is with great sadness that I acknowledge Gary Moore in this way. His passing has come as a sad and terrible shock and I have difficulty believing that he’s gone. I have many fond memories of our years together, both in the workplace of music and as friends. I have love and respect for Gary as a musician and as a person …. Gary was one of the greatest guitar players ever and a nice bloke with it. He was a brilliant technician and musician but above all, his playing came straight from the heart and soul. …. mere words can never convey such sadness in such loss. Long live Gary Moore and may he rest in peace, we'll miss you mate.

(10) John Sykes
    Our condolences to the family of GARY MOORE - one of the greatest guitar players ever. A very sad loss for the music world. His playing will inspire generations to come. God Bless. Love and respect. John Sykes.

Mark M
Site Admin
Wizard of Washes

#8 Post by Mark M »

Great Stuff... Thanks for posting it Ian 8)

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Here's another batch of tributes.

• (11) Uriah Heep guitarist Mick Box
    I was shocked and devastated to read that my good friend Gary Moore had died at the age of 58, in a hotel in Spain. I remember first meeting Gary backstage when we were playing a London show, and he was over from Ireland, and on the brink of leaving Skid Row, which at the time was pretty top secret. We shared a few drinks, and discussed our love of Jeff Beck’s playing, and had a great evening. Since then we have met many times, but mostly on the road where we have shared the same stage at many a festival. Gary has left a legacy of guitar playing that will continue to inspire guitarists all over the world for many years to come. He had a wonderful touch and his tone was always spot on. It really is unbelievable that he is no longer with us and his virtuoso playing will be sadly missed, as will the man himself who touched so many people as a player and as a person. Rest in peace my friend.

(12) Trevor White – Planet Rock’s Programme Director
    GARY MOORE, guitarist and Planet Rock radio presenter, passed away this weekend. The former THIN LIZZY and solo artist was one of the most influential guitarists of a generation; he also was a presenter and friend to Planet Rock. Gary’s involvement with Planet Rock began when he exclusively presented the series Blues Power in 2007. He was recognized for this show by winning the Gold award at the prestigious radio awards held at the New York Festival in 2008. He also campaigned to save Planet Rock when the station was under threat of closure and played two exclusive concerts for Planet Rock’s listeners. We’re all shocked at the station …. He was a close friend and was one of the stars instrumental in keeping the station on the air, when the station was on the brink of closure. His guitar playing was incredible and luckily his musical legacy will live on for future generations, Gary will be sorely missed.

(13) Lindsay Brown & Mike Carden
    Eagle Rock Entertainment have been deeply saddened by the news of the death of GARY MOORE, the consummate musician acknowledged as one of the finest guitarists that the British Isles has ever produced. In a career that dates back to the 1960s, there are few musical genres that he has not turned his adroit musical hand to, and on top of his acclaimed solo work he has graced the line-ups of several notable rock bands, THIN LIZZY, COLOSSEUM II and SKID ROW to name but three …. Gary Moore was truly a giant of contemporary guitarists. We feel honored to have worked with him, released his amazing music and indeed to have called him a friend. He will be sorely missed by all those who knew him, and all fans of original guitar music, and leaves a gap that simply cannot be filled. It isn't often you get the opportunity to work with a legend who is also a gentlemen. Gary Moore was such a legend he will be sorely missed.

(14) Chuck Prophet guitarist James DePrato
    Gary Moore is gone. Hard to imagine. I'm still numb this morning thinking about it. A major loss—a blow to the guitar-playing community, for sure. Gone before your time. Gary, you will be sorely missed.

(15) Testament guitarist Alex Skolnick
    RIP, Gary Moore. Brilliant guitarist, not the most household name but one who didn't need trends, gimmicks or image, just pure tone and soul.

(16) Therapy’s Michael McKeegan
    Just heard the very sad news that GARY MOORE has passed away. The Belfast born guitar legend was a big inspiration for myself growing up in Northern Ireland, both for his work with THIN LIZZY and his very successful solo career. We had the pleasure of meeting Gary and his band last summer at the Pinkpop Classic festival in Holland. After watching their (killer) show we were introduced and Gary came over to our dressing room and chatted away to us. He was everything you'd want a hero to be... laidback, modest and very genuine with a cool sense of humour. Our condolences go out to his family, friends and bandmates.

(17) Guns N' Roses guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
    Gary Moore gave a lifetime of music to the world, such a great guitarist. He was like *the* rock guitarist, the guy that had the best of everything in his playing - and that could only come from having the best of everything in his heart. To his family, you have my deepest sympathies, the love and support of millions of fans, all wishing you strength in this difficult time.

(18) Black Sabbath / Heaven and Hell guitarist Tony Iommi
    So sad to hear about Gary Moore, a truly great player lost. My sympathies go out to his family.

(19) Swedish rockers “Europe”
    No words can describe how sad we feel hearing the news that GARY MOORE has passed away. We can't believe it! It's a total shock! He was one of our biggest influences, both as a guitarist and a songwriter. Our thoughts and feelings now go out to his family and close friends.

(20) Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover
    I am deeply shocked and saddened about Gary’s passing. He was truly one of the great guitarists, had a huge talent, and was a musical force beyond par. I am a fan. My heartfelt condolences go to his family, friends, and fans all over the world.

Heavy Metal Spike

#10 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

My continued appreciation goes out to “Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles”, “Metal Hammer” and “Classic Rock Revisited” for collecting so many of these tributes and condolences together.

• (21) Ozzy Osbourne
    I knew Gary Moore for what seemed like forever. We’d run into each other many times over the years and we were always able to pick up right where we left off. I had the honour of recording with Gary on his After The War album on the track 'Led Clones', which was great fun. To say that his death is a tragic loss doesn’t seem to give it the justice it deserves. We’ve lost a phenomenal musician and a great friend. Rest In Peace, Gary.

(22) Roger Taylor
    It was my wife who told me the news. It’s terrible: 58 is just too early. In Phil [Lynott]’s case it was tragic, and in Gary’s case there should have been a lot more years. I have great memories of Gary on tour in THIN LIZZY with Queen: always smiling, very cheerful and… too young to die. He’d recently joined Lizzy and he fitted in great: a blindingly fast player, and his thing was these staccato runs, with a bit of jazz in there. Totally different to Brian [May], who’s a very fluid player, but musicians usually ‘get’ other rated musicians, and Brian very much enjoyed his playing. Over the years, I’d see Gary out in the clubs: a great guy on the scene. He liked to drink, as I remember, but everybody did in those days. It’s very sad. But I think his music will live on. Virtuosity is something we really don’t have now: there are lots of great bands, but the emphasis just isn’t on that anymore. In those days, it was all about how great you were; there were so many virtuosos and he was definitely one of them. He was a star player.

(23) Paul Rodgers
    Gary was a friend and a truly great man. I respect that he played the game his way... no time for BS. He was focused and passionate about music and was one of the best. The last time that I jammed with Gary he came on as my Special Guest at London's Royal Albert Hall and proceeded to take it to another level... the place imploded! When he played he was a man on fire. If there hadn't been an ocean between us and Gary didn't mind flying we absolutely would have created more together. We've lost a great British blues man and I am very, very sad.

(24) Arch Enemy’s Mike Amott
    Growing up in the 80’s in Sweden you couldn’t avoid Gary Moore. His Celtic hard-rock material of that era was massively popular here. As a guitar player he had a huge influence on the European scene, and certainly on myself. America had Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen, we had Gary Moore and Michael Schenker! There are so many Gary Moore-isms in Arch Enemy’s music… and that is something we are very proud of! Thank you for the music, R.I.P. Gary.

(25) Saxon's Biff Byford
    It’s really sad. We knew Gary from back in the 80s. We went to a few of his album recording sessions back then. Him and Michael Schenker and Paul [Quinn, Saxon guitarist] were quite close back then, so we’d go to their sessions and they’d come to ours. We lost connection with him a bit when he started doing the blues thing, but during his metal period we knew him well. His guitar playing was always incredible. His tone, in particular, was really something. I hung out with him and Phil Lynott at Stringfellows once! It was quite a messy evening, even though I didn’t drink at the time. It wasn’t a lap-dancing club back then. You had dinner upstairs and then downstairs was the disco, and it was full of fashion models and B-list film stars, and I was there with Gary and Phil Lynott! That was quite an experience! But it’s very sad to lose Gary. He’ll be greatly missed.

(26) Saxon’s Doug Scarratt
    In my memory of guitar gigs, Gary Moore really stands out. I was a fan from back in the Thin Lizzy days. A friend of mine had a ticket for one of his solo shows and I nearly didn’t bother going, but I’m glad I did! It stays in my memory as one of the best guitar gigs I’ve ever seen. It was at the crossover point when he’d just started doing the blues stuff, and Still Got The Blues was out, but he was still playing Parisienne Walkways and The Loner and all the big rock hits. His playing was just so emotional. It was mind-blowing.

(27) Joe Lynn Turner
    Gary Moore was one of the greats. He had his roots in the blues and the power of rock, which is a brilliant combination. I have played with some of the best guitarists in the business and when asked if wanted to do a project with someone else, I always said, “Gary Moore.” Maybe it’s little known but I am a guitarist myself. I became a singer by pure accident. So, I can really appreciate Gary’s playing from a musician’s point of view. He was an amazing talent and let’s not forget his voice, which was pure and honest like his playing. I had the great fortune to meet Gary while in Denmark during the RAINBOW days. He was a great guy and very down to earth, which is impressive to say the least. We shall greatly miss him for he was an original who stood out from the rest. I send my sympathies to his family and friends and to the rock world who is truly saddened by this loss. RIP Gary.

(28) Carmine Appice
    I am touched and sad about Gary’s passing. He was a great guitarist that many players looked up too and were inspired by.

(29) Frankie Banali
    At a brief moment in time after the release of the 1982 HUGHES/THRALL record and at a party at Glenn Hughes's house, Gary, Glenn and I were talking about the real possibility of forming a power trio. Gary's enthusiasm for the project was infectious. The union never materialized, but for me it would have been a dream band! Rest in peace Gary, you were one of a kind and a rare and genuine talent.

(30) Steve Morse of Deep Purple
    “On the last date of our tour a couple of months ago, Gary was playing on Roger's [Glovers] MP3 player backstage through an amplified speaker. It was Gary and our Don Airey, I think, playing with Colosseum II. They sounded great, of course. Don always spoke fondly of his playing, and I'm a fan as well. His playing was lively, energetic, but tasteful at the same time. I never knew him but all of us in Purple were shocked at the loss.”

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

31 through 40 – as with the tributes above, musicians from a variety of genres, showing just how much he was admired.

• (31) Pat Simmons of the Doobie Brothers
    “I had the pleasure of meeting Gary when he was playing with Thin Lizzy, back in the late 70's early 80's, I think it was. We played a few shows with the guys, and I wondered who this great guitarist was. I remember having a beer somewhere in a bar while on the tour, and speaking briefly with him. He was a gentle soul, and quietly friendly while we hung out together. A few years later, I started really listening to Gary's music, and became a huge fan. I would venture to say that, in my humble opinion, he was one of the greatest blues players of our time. And a tremendous all around musician in general. Great voice, killer licks and tone, and he really could play any kind of music. It's obvious to us, his fans, that his heart belonged to the blues, but he rocked with a vengeance, and he could sing a gentle ballad with all the feeling one might hope for. It's funny, but I was just thinking about him the other day, and hoping I would have a chance to see him play somewhere soon. Now he's jamming with the immortals, and I'll have to wait awhile longer. He left us all the gift of an amazing amount of fantastic recorded material, and I feel so lucky to have that to remember him. I'm going now to put on the DVD of his live show at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1990. I recommend this to anyone who loves Gary, or wants to see this great artist at his best. We'll all miss him, but his music lives on for us, and we'll keep him in our hearts. Thank you Gary for keeping the flame burning.”

(32) Eric Singer of Kiss
    I had the Pleasure to play drums with Gary on his 1987 Wild Frontier tour. I joined Gary's band via Bob Daisley. We had recorded together with Black Sabbath on the Eternal Idol album. Bob arranged the audition in London in January of 1987. We soon began rehearsals for what would become one of Gary's most successful tours ever. I remember we would practice everyday at John Henry Studios in London. Bob and Neil Carter lived in Brighton and would have to leave in time to make their train home. Gary and I would sometimes stay on and jam. Just drums & guitar. We would play Thin Lizzy tunes or just jam endlessly as Gary never ran out of ideas when it came to soloing! He would also play those legendary guitars back then. The "Peter Green" 1958 Les Paul and his "Pink Salmon" 1962 Fender Stratocaster. He of course did not take those on tour anymore as they had become much to rare & valuable. I have to say the one thing that always stood out to me about Gary was his absolute passion and intensity as a guitarist. This man played every song and note like it was the last time he would ever play it. And therefore demanded and expected the same from his band. I have to admit he could be a bit tough on drummers. But he only asked for and expected what he himself gave to music. And that was complete commitment every time you played with him. He inspired me to want to play up to his level every night. I will always thank him for the opportunity he gave me to play with him. He really was a Brilliant musician. And I always felt like he helped take me to another level as a drummer & musician. It was an experience and an education I will never forget and take with me everywhere I go. God Bless You Gary Moore

(33) Gary Ferguson
    I am so sad my old colleague is gone. I really wanted to play music with him again. He was inspirational to me as a player as he played with so much passion. My heart goes out to his family. It is so surreal to have lost him he was a strong person. Rest in peace my brother you will be missed.

(34) Tommy Aldridge
    It was while living in London that I had the privilege of working with Gary on a couple albums and tours. Coincidentally it was during the same time that I met Randy Rhoads. Talk about a double-whammy...yikes! The fact that Randy was a fan of his pretty much says it all. Gary had an amazing work ethic that, in combination with his God-given gift, made him an extremely dangerous guitarist. His sheer athleticism on the instrument was exceeded only by his true musicianship. He played music, not just guitar. I was shocked when I heard of his passing. Though he loved a good laugh he led a disciplined life. I am blessed to have known him.

(35) Howard Leese
    I had the pleasure of Jamming with Gary Moore when the Paul Rodgers band played the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago. Great player, very fast, but clean. He will be missed.

(36) Bryan Basset of Foghat
    Gary Moore was a guitarist's guitarist. He not only had a faithful following of fans who loved his music he also inspired many professional guitarists with his brilliant technique and command of several musical styles. For me, listening to his playing was a wonderful musical experience and a master class of playing technique. We have lost another musical giant. He will be missed but not forgotten. RIP Gary.

(37) Bill Leverty of Firehouse
    Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, Gary Moore stands out as one of the greatest guitarists, ever, who was able to combine rock and blues; high energy and melody; tone and taste, emotion and style. I would say the same about his extraordinary vocals, which made him such a complete artist with deep integrity. He's a true legend in every sense of the word, and his music will live forever.

(38) Rich Williams of Kansas
    We were in the dressing room in El Paso. Thin Lizzy had opened for us in the past, so I didn't bother to go backstage to check them out, but I could hear someone really #$#$#$# tearing it up. I remember asking, "Who the #$#$#$# is playing guitar"? Well it was Gary, and I had to meet him. Later I introduced myself and we did what guitar players do ... gear talk. He hands me his pride and joy, the Les Paul he recently got from Peter Green. To my surprise I could hardly play it. He used very heavy gauge strings, high off the neck like a slide player. He played it with such ease ... I couldn't even make a bar chord. Felt like a total p u s s y.

(39) Carmine Appice
    I am touched and sad about Gary’s passing. He was a great guitarist that many players looked up too and were inspired by.

(40) Herman Rarebell ex-Scorpions Drummer
    I met Gary the last time last year here in Brighton at a Hotel called Hotel de Vine. We talked about music of course and we were both surprised that we lived in the same City Brighton. I always liked Gary's music. Still got the Blues. Gary forever.

Heavy Metal Spike

#12 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

It is now 3 months since Gary’s sad passing. I hope his friends and family are at least starting to get over their loss.

Here’s another batch of tributes (41 through 50).

• (41) Mark Kendall of Great White
    Gary Moore was such a tremendous feel player. I call it playing from the pores of your skin and he definitely had that. I wanted to share a quick story concerning Gary. In 1988 we were on tour with Whitesnake and I became pretty good friends with Vivian Campbell. We used to jam a lot before shows and stuff. One night before the show I told him I really loved his live solo and could he show me what he was doing. He showed me the riff and said all I do is play this one riff but I play it all over the neck and it makes it sound like I am playing something different but I am not. Then he said and one more thing, "I stole the riff from Gary Moore." Gary will be sorely missed.

(42) Gary Hoey
    I was a sad day loosing Gary Moore at age 58. I'm in shock. I never had the chance to meet or play with him, it was on my bucket list but I felt like I knew him through his music. My favorite songs are "Still Got The Blues" and “Empty Rooms." There's a live version of “Empty Rooms” on YouTube from 1987 that's the best live solo of all time and is the essence of what Gary Moore stood for, taste, feel, power and conviction. God rest his soul. We’ve lost a giant. 

(43) Neil Murray
    My memories of Gary will be of someone who was dedicated to playing the guitar as well as he possibly could and with total focus, energy and intense commitment. I don't think I ever heard him play a wrong note and he was able to effortlessly become Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Carlos Santana or Jimi Hendrix if he felt like it. He was a very funny, down-to-earth guy and for over 10 years we seemed to share identical, wide-ranging taste in music, more so than anyone else I've played with. I wish I'd had the opportunity to play blues with him but that came later in his career. I do remember that in the mid-70s he was very casual about how he looked after the priceless Peter Green Les Paul – then again, he could make just about any guitar sing and cry. His passing is a giant loss for music.

(44) Charlie Huhn of Foghat
    I did several recording projects with Gary Moore and the guy was amazing. He could play anything, flawlessly. We would be in the studio recording and he would start goofing around with a country version of the song we were recording and, as if that wasn't funny enough, he would do a Japanese version. Unbelievable. The many nights we would spend at the hotel bar after recording at Morgan Studio NW London for the Dirty Fingers album would be filled with joking, poking and self-depricating humor which made one feel like we were accepted in the presence of this genius. The title for the album wasn't decided and having two Americans in the band, Tommy Aldridge on drums and myself, Gary, being Irish, jokingly suggested, “Let's call it Paddy and the Septics. No wait, The Four Skins!” What a hoot. He didn't drink much because his father did and he wanted to work on his career but what a jokester. A few years later we did a release and a tour of England including the Marquee Club in London and the Reading Festival. The first day of rehearsal, I was so jet lagged that after an hour of practice I laid down on a bench at rehearsal unknowingly fell fast asleep with all the noise going on. Then a tap on the foot woke me up and the guys were playing “The Star Spangled Banner” perfectly. A little embarrassing but hey, I'm in the midst of international superstars, Ian Pace on drums and Neil Murray on bass. Gary was always so positive, happy and generous and I will always remember all the great times we shared in the 80's. Rest In Peace, my friend. That was a great song, as well, from the Dirty Fingers album. I will sorely miss you, Gary.

(45) Dave "Bucket" Colwell
    I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Gary. I met him several times over the years & opened for him on a couple of tours when I was in SAMSON. Such a passionate, Powerful yet subtle player & a major influence on many a big name guitarist. My condolences to his family.

(46) TOBI (UK 16 year old phenomenon)
    "When I first started playing guitar at 12 years old I would have never thought of singing as well but when I asked my parents for a new guitar they said you have to play and sing a whole song at an open mic night. I took on the challenge and they said I had to play Gary Moore’s “Still Got The Blues For You” with the solo, so I pushed myself to learn it and did it. Now I am a singer/songwriter with a really nice guitar. He is one of my biggest influences and without I might not be doing what I am doing today"

(47) Andy Fraser
    I did many dates with Gary Moore when we were coming up together in England. He always stood out as an "A” division guitarist and the nicest guy.

(48) Metallica's Kirk Hammett
    Some excerpts are below, but please see here for the rest of Kirk’s heartfelt personal remembrance - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20110209
    • • Gary Moore is definitely in my list of top five guitar influences, right up with Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Michael Schenker.
      • He just blew me away from the first time I heard him …. He had a very distinct sound and a very distinct way of approaching his guitar playing.
      • The reason why he wasn’t more popular here in America is beyond me because he was incredible. He was peers with like George Harrison, and he was peers with Albert King and he was peers with B.B. King. He was just an amazing player, and he could hang with almost anyone.
    (49) Whitesnake’s Doug Aldrich
    I spent today rediscovering some of the work he did. Nobody ever played with more emotion than Gary Moore. He played with unmatched soul and melody. But he was also by far, THE most ferocious, fearless and intense player i ever heard. No question. His playing made a huge impact on me. I had the opportunity to see him play several times while on tour. I remember me and Reb listening to him warm up... It was awesome! Not only was he one of the all time great guitarists right up there with guys like Hendrix and Rhoads, but his voice was righteous and pure. Rest Peacefully Gary.

(50) Alex Lifeson
    I was very saddened to hear the news of Gary's death. We toured together in the 80s and I remember him as a soft spoken, gentle man with a quick smile. His influence as a guitarist is undeniable and his purity of playing and passion will live on in all of us who love the instrument he so cherished.

Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Now 2 years on (to the hour) from Gary's untimely passing.

Still miss the guy (and still got the blues) :cry:

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#14 Post by raydrz »

all them tributes were truly tear-jerkers...gary moore was a guitar genius!

i just picked up BLUES FOR JIMI...awesome is an understatement!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jimi-London ... B008NR8YTQ

JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Heavy Metal Spike

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

3 years on. Didn't have chance to post on the day.

Still miss the genius, the talent, and the passion.

Heavy Metal Spike

#16 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Can't believe it's now 10 years since Gary left us.

Such a talented (and unique) guitar player, and the voice was great too.

Still miss ya man!

• Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
[list][list][list] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw [/list][/list][/list]