What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

British hotel that inspired "Fawlty Towers" to be demolished

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

highwayman57
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

British hotel that inspired "Fawlty Towers" to be demolished

#1 Post by highwayman57 »

British Hotel That Inspired 'Fawlty Towers' to Be Demolished - Hollywood Reporter

The British seaside hotel that gave John Cleese the inspiration to write his internationally renowned comedy series Fawlty Towers is to be knocked down.

Having closed last year, the 41-bedroom Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay on the south coast of the U.K. will now be demolished to make way for a retirement home.

Cleese stayed at the hotel while filming Monty Python's Flying Circus in May 1970, but when much of the team checked out after one night (they were booked in for two weeks), he remained with his then wife and collaborator Connie Booth to observe the owner, Donald Sinclair, a man he would later describe as "the most wonderfully rude man I've ever come across in my life."

Sinclair, along with his wife Beatrice Sinclair (whom he would allegedly address with 'Yes Dear'), would provide the templates for Basil and Sybil Fawlty.

Incidents involving the owner included him throwing a timetable at a guest who asked when the next bus would arrive, criticizing Terry Gilliam's table manners for not being British after he left his knife and fork at an angle on the plate (in a scene reminiscent of the series' famed Waldorf Salad episode) and putting Eric Idle's briefcase behind a wall in the garden because he said he thought it contained a bomb.

"Why would anyone want to bomb your hotel?" Idle claimed he asked at the time, to which Sinclair replied: "We've had a lot of staff problems lately."
David
----------------

"No matter where you go... there you are!"
Buckaroo Banzai

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' "