What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Need a Photobucket Replacement

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Need a Photobucket Replacement

#1 Post by beaveren »

So it has finally happened. I am no longer able to utilize Photobucket to host my pictures that I want to share on the CH. Starting today, they what an impressive $39.99 a month from me to allow third-party image hosting which is what is used here when you link an image you have on Photobucket.

This is from their new terms of use policy:

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

NOT GOING TO DO IT!!!!

At this time ALL of my picture links from past forum posts have been replaced with a message from Photobucket stating that they no longer support third-party image hosting and that one can unlock this feature by updating their member account.

Anybody got any recommendations for other image hosting sites that they use?

Thanks
B :(
* Looking for Warlock bust from New Mutants (producer unknown)
https://www.facebook.com/PathosModelCreations/

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Need a Photobucket Replacement

#2 Post by resin addict »

I'm certainly no fan of photo f***it either...the only thing I'm not sure of is was is the difference between "Image Linking" and "Image hosting"?
I've copied the following from their new terms of service:
Plus 100 Plan: 50 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.
If it would mean keeping all my existing photo links alive, for $8 a month I could live with that...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by beaveren »

Image linking would simply allow a link with no image to direct to the associated PB hosted image. What we have here with the photos actually showing up in the posts on the CH is "third-party image hosting". You can go to any of my recent threads where I have pictures of the Elektra piece I am working on producing and see that ALL the pictures have been replaced by PB.

B

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Zeiram »

Has anyone used Instagram? I avoid social media like the plague, and haven't bothered to check to see if it allows linking. My wife has been harassing me to set up an account, and I MIGHT consider it if it allowed me to share kit photos for the museum.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by Ant »

Just when you think PB can't do anything more to alienate their users...

They succeed.

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by beaveren »

Ant wrote:Just when you think PB can't do anything more to alienate their users...

They succeed.
Yep...currently looking for somewhere to relocate all my photos and give PB the old "heave-hoe".

B

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by resin addict »

beaveren wrote:... You can go to any of my recent threads where I have pictures of the Elektra piece I am working on producing and see that ALL the pictures have been replaced by PB.

B
Not arguing, but just confused...following is a link to a thread with one of my pieces also on PB...when I look at the post I still see my pictures, and I currently have the minimal free acct.

So if I understand the difference, the $100/year plan would allow me to post links that someone would have to click to see my photo's as opposed to the way that we currently just put the "IMG" string of characters which then shows a picture in our post?

http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 8&t=115076
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by resin addict »

Is there instead a way the "Clubhouse" could change to allow us to upload pictures directly to the site?

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by beaveren »

resin addict wrote:
beaveren wrote:... You can go to any of my recent threads where I have pictures of the Elektra piece I am working on producing and see that ALL the pictures have been replaced by PB.

B
Not arguing, but just confused...following is a link to a thread with one of my pieces also on PB...when I look at the post I still see my pictures, and I currently have the minimal free acct.

So if I understand the difference, the $100/year plan would allow me to post links that someone would have to click to see my photo's as opposed to the way that we currently just put the "IMG" string of characters which then shows a picture in our post?

http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 8&t=115076
I don't think this has hit everybody with a PB account yet. The terms only changed yesterday and I received an email in the early hours this morning telling that the third party linking thing had been disabled for my account. Probably doing this in batches or one server machine at a time. I checked a
Couple of my threads with photos and they all have the pictures disabled. What's weird is if you close cl the PB pic it takes you to the photo on their site still just with all the pop ups they are known for. So done with them...

B

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#10 Post by beaveren »

So I am reading on some other forums that this may be a monthly bandwidth thing that resets at the start of every month. If you buy their premium service then you will avoid this bandwidth cap. Will see what happens this weekend. Still going to look for another hosting site.

B

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by RockinResin »

Why you can't just transfer photos from a personal library baffles me. Wouldn't it make life so much easier?
Last edited by RockinResin on March 11th, 2019, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by resin addict »

I used to be active on "The Statue Forum", but not anymore...and my recollection is there you actually uploaded your picture(s) to the site...there were file size restrictions, but still, it was a lot simpler...so I'll ask again...
resin addict wrote:Is there instead a way the "Clubhouse" could change to allow us to upload pictures directly to the site?

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#13 Post by Zeiram »

Uploading photos to the site means more storage, which means more cost. Anyone willing to foot the bill?
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by resin addict »

Zeiram wrote:Uploading photos to the site means more storage, which means more cost. Anyone willing to foot the bill?
Well...if you're looking at $40 per month as an alternative; maybe it's time to make this a subscription site...those that truly want to be here and participate pay an annual fee to retain their membership; and the cost of that membership; depending on the number of members would cover the additional storage space needed.
As it is right now, there are probably literally thousands of members who are not active and never contribute a thing (monetarily) towards the support of this site.
Maybe that would solve several problems.
Using "The Statue Forum" as an example, they also had advertisments along the sides of the page...but they went after the big companies like sideshow, DC, Marvel, etc., that's why un-licensed pieces were taboo there...this place could also sell advertising, but to building and finishing supply companies; etc.
You could even have a "New Kit" banner ad on the main home page where a producer could choose to pay a small fee to have his new offering advertised on the front page for a month.
I recognize that if we want to continue to have this place be a site for "garage kits" (meaning un-licensed), we couldn't rely on much sponsor dollars, but personally, I'd be willing to pay an annual "membership", if it meant that this place could continue as is, but with the added the ability to up-load pictures. Frankly this is the only site I visit where I have the need for a service like "Photo F***it".
So...short answer; yes I'd be willing to pay/subscribe.

Chuckenstein
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by Chuckenstein »

I use PictureTrail. There probably is a free version, but I pay $20/year and don't have to deal with any ads. It has always been easy to use and I have not had any problems with it.

monomaster2
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by monomaster2 »

This topic has come up many times before. Apparently, no one researches on this site if they have a problem. This will be the last time I post the solution as I will avoid this topic if it comes up again to keep my head from exploding!

Use Flickr on Yahoo. It's FREE and there is no indication that it will stop being FREE.
Last edited by monomaster2 on June 30th, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#17 Post by Zeiram »

I did verify that you can link photos from Instagram. It's not "simple" to extract the raw image URL, since Instagram wants you to embed all their extra rubbish, but it's certainly doable. Also there's the small matter of Instagram wanting you to upload solely from your smart phone, but again that's surmountable.

beaveren
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#18 Post by beaveren »

Chuckenstein wrote:I use PictureTrail. There probably is a free version, but I pay $20/year and don't have to deal with any ads. It has always been easy to use and I have not had any problems with it.
I will give that one a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

B

Crazy Joe
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#19 Post by Crazy Joe »

I use Flckr. Couldn't be happier.

DSC_0125 by Joseph Nejberger, on Flickr
crazy joe

"Many miles away----- something rises to the surface...

of a dark........

Scottish.......

lake............"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmodels/albums

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Buc Wheat »

Host my crap!! For I am @$#@ AWESOME!!! and for FREE dammit!!!
On your SPACE...for my crap is so AWESOME you should pay me...and
and be GRATEFUL!!!

give me a break! stop being cheap @#$@'s and go pay for a hosting
service! (or don't ...and just stfu!)

(just saying)