What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

American Hero Audie Murphy's Birthday Today

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

Stormheart
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

American Hero Audie Murphy's Birthday Today

#1 Post by Stormheart »

Today is the birthday of one of my favorite childhood heroes, Audie L. Murphy (June 20, 1924 - May 28, 1971). A true American hero, Murphy won every accommodation, award, or medal the U.S. Army had to give for his service to our country in World War II, including the Distinguished Service Cross, and the Medal of Honor. Unfortunately, he's been largely forgotten today. Everyone in our military, present or past, is a hero, but Murphy's accomplishments and his story really stand out. If you're not familiar with him, do some research. I guarantee you'll be inspired! He was an undersized Texan with the courage of a lion, and boundless determination. He became a popular, movie actor following the war and, because he wanted to set a good example, he reportedly refused to act as a spokesman for cigarette and alcoholic beverage companies. He had severe struggles with PTSD after the war. But, he eventually chose to speak openly about it, and campaigned for the military to acknowledge it and extend benefits to the veterans of the Korean and Vietnam Wars so they could receive treatment for it.

Just thought I would share one of my heroes with you, and ask if anyone is aware of a model kit ever being done of him? I'm not aware of any myself, even from his movie days.
"So cry 'Crivens' and let loose the clan Mac Feegle!" - Tiffany Aching

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: American Hero Audie Murphy's Birthday Today

#2 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Definitely a fan of his movies. Thanks for the heads up.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

OKCmike
Jack of all Trades

#3 Post by OKCmike »

A truly great man and a cool dude.

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by temperflash »

One thing I remember was that he was walking down a sidewalk in a wealthy neighborhood and saw a man beating a dog with a riding crop.
He leaped over the iron fence around the property and grabbed the guy and proceeded to beat the devil out of him with his own riding crop.
IIRC he was arrested but charges were dropped almost immediately, not because he was an actor but because he was a war hero.

Stormheart
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by Stormheart »

I hadn't heard that story, but it must have been something to see. I can't imagine the S@%t Storm that would rain down if one of today's celebrities did something like that?
"So cry 'Crivens' and let loose the clan Mac Feegle!" - Tiffany Aching