What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Thank goodness for our little hobby...

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: Thank goodness for our little hobby...

#21 Post by tay666 »

:mrgreen:
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#22 Post by centaur1 »

Just moved to stay Louis and bought a condo. Things looking good. Dream finally coming to fruition

Then this hits. I find out my new accounting job is cutting us all down to 4days a week, and obviously, less pay. But I am thankful for all I have (even a job at 20% pay cut is better than being out of a job entirely)

I am praying for those whose jobs have ended because of this. The stress and uncertainty must be tough with bills to pay, groceries to buy, rent/mortgage, and we don’t know how long this will last

Hang in there, everyone. Even better times and opportunities are on the other side of this. Be safe and careful as we ride this out

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#23 Post by derekc62 »

And just when you think, "It can't get any worse..." the provincial government where I live (Quebec) announced today that effective midnight tomorrow all non-essential businesses are to be closed for three weeks.

I can't even hazard a guess as to how many people have just been laid off temporarily.

If we can just convince people to not gather then maybe we can get out of this mess in a month. But every time people gather the clock gets reset.

Follow the advice - stay home, wash your hands with soap and get a good start on your stash of kits. There's no excuse now for putting off that build or paint job.
Derek Conlon

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#24 Post by tay666 »

Depends on how much tooth that order has.

Ohio goes into effect at midnight tonight, and I still go to work tomorrow.
There are so many industries labeled as 'essential' that it isn't going to have as big an impact as a lot of people think it will.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#25 Post by derekc62 »

Where I live 'essential" is pretty much limited to anything health related (including food production/distribution and drug stores) and emergency services - police, fire, etc.

All construction sites are being closing down. One of the major breweries is stopping beer production and switching to hand sanitizer, so some workers will be kept on.

Police are now making sure people don't gather in groups of ten or more... No clue how that's going to work for the bus and Metro (subway).

Traffic here was already like a Sunday morning. By mid week there won't be many of us moving around. There's a distinctly eerie feeling around town.

Oh, and staff at the TV station where I work are now forced to stay in their own respective departments - and we only have three if you count the studio. Anyway, there's only about a dozen of us left in the building.... and yes, we're considered essential....
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#26 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

After a couple of weeks of being very careful (avoiding large crowds etc.), I'm pleased to say my parents in the UK have FINALLY gone into TOTAL lockdown (likely for 12 weeks).

Me & mine in Canada are pretty much the same - Son quit his part-time job, I'm now totally WFH, Daughter & Son doing UNI classes via the internet - we've been out 2-3 times over the last 2 weeks for supplies or doc appts. Can't take any risks due to Wife being in high risk group.

We've all seen the news reports of people ignoring warnings.

I've been watching the behaviour of people in the UK, US and Canada with a combination of disgust, anger and disappointment.

So much stupid.

Here's another from today (UK) - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52017910

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#27 Post by Scooke123 »

Our city went into lock down as of midnight last night except for the essential businesses. It isn't a manditory one yet but just about everyone in St. Charles are complying. My daughter runs beauty salon - they shut it down last week. My son works as a high-end dog groomer and his place shut down and his band gigs are on hold as well. Other son works at a car dealership in body shop - so far they are still open.
Steve Cooke

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#28 Post by centaur1 »

Yes with the mandated nonessential shut down that came over the weekend I’m now out of work.

There are many businesses that may not survive to see the other side of this

The company I work for is large enough I think it will survive an extended layoff, But it may be a different story for many of their employees

I have 2 1/2 weeks paid time off that I am starting to use as of Monday when we shut down, but the government is “””supposed to be””” getting income assistance to taxpayers very shortly, as I understand it

How much that’s going to come out to be, who knows——- but I don’t think a one time shot of $1000 will make much more than a small dent in a family paying bills

Heavy Metal Spike

#29 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote:Our city went into lock down as of midnight last night except for the essential businesses. It isn't a manditory one yet but just about everyone in St. Charles are complying.
My daughter runs beauty salon - they shut it down last week.
My son works as a high-end dog groomer and his place shut down and his band gigs are on hold as well.
Other son works at a car dealership in body shop - so far they are still open.
  • centaur1 wrote:Yes with the mandated nonessential shut down that came over the weekend I’m now out of work.

There are many businesses that may not survive to see the other side of this

The company I work for is large enough I think it will survive an extended layoff, But it may be a different story for many of their employees

I have 2 1/2 weeks paid time off that I am starting to use as of Monday when we shut down, but the government is “””supposed to be””” getting income assistance to taxpayers very shortly, as I understand it

How much that’s going to come out to be, who knows——- but I don’t think a one time shot of $1000 will make much more than a small dent in a family paying bills

Yeah - FINANCIALLY - this is going to be a lot more painful for some folks than others.

We are very fortunate not to have to worry abut that but I really feel for those that have that extra pressure :(

Given THEY were bailed out not-too-long-ago, I'm hoping the banks etc. step in with LONG-TERM interest-free loans/credit. Also, governments should help landlords and stop council rates etc., then landlords and local councils can back off passing those onto businesses and householders etc.

Regardless - everyone needs to be safe - you might not want to stop working - but you can't work if you're sick (or dead!) - AND how would you feel if you found out you could have infected others?

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#30 Post by temperflash »

Well I hate going to the grocery store at the best of times so I normally stock up on TP and paper towels enough to last two months at a time, so I've got enough to do for awhile.
Did go out Monday to stock up on pet foods, five cats and a 120 lb dog, and cat litter.
Local store wasn't that crowded and only thing they were out of was TP and whitebread, neither of which I needed. Got a supply of Hormels complete meals and a few extra canned goods plus Cornmeal and potatoes.
Got some extra milk which I intend to freeze for hard times.
As usual I already have more canned goods than I have a place to put them.
I have two 3M R 95 masks , plenty of gloves including a large box of medical type thruway rubber gloves. Wore a mask while shopping just in case.
Should be set till really warm weather hits at least.
Been a lot of rain at night and they say moisture shortens the life span of a virus that is outside a host body. Plenty of sunshine during the day and UV plus moisture kills off the virus. So the outdoors air is fairly clean and healthy.

Got plenty of projects I need to finish or at least take off the back burner for awhile.
Been working on a western style gunbelt off and on for years now, maybe Ill finish it. Its for my Umarex CO2 powered Colt Peacemaker replicas. Excellent realistic pellet guns.
I had lucked onto a large double shoulder of vegetable tanned leather at half price years ago. Enough for several projects.

Other than that my lifestyle is about the same as ever. PC,DVDs, oldies channel , etc. Being more or less a Hermit has its advantages.

spock
Site Admin
Bishop of Build Ups

#31 Post by spock »

Hell, I'm watching this as a training film ! :cry:

The Clubhouse Model Gallery
When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is NOT what I had in mind!

Heavy Metal Spike

#32 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

spock wrote:Hell, I'm watching this as a training film ! :cry:

Suggestion :arrow: avoid the "choc full o' nuts" - dodgy flooring & there be crazies!

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#33 Post by Tim Fortuna »

spock wrote:Hell, I'm watching this as a training film ! :cry:

:lol: :rolf:
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#34 Post by bucketfoot-al »

spock wrote:Hell, I watching this as a training film ! :cry:

Ah yes - the film that resurrected Kurt Russell's career (thanks to his artful 'theft' and re-purposing of Client Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" character for this sci-fi classic). Love the scene at the end when The President (Donald Pleasance) wastes "The Duke"! :rolf: ("Are you still a big shot, Duke?") :rolf:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#35 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Damn - Is it my imagination or have the number of posts on the CH gone way, way up in the past few days due to the current situation?
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Crazy Joe
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#36 Post by Crazy Joe »

Well, my plant's essentially shut down for the time being, although we are still processing dealership orders. I have a TON of kits to work on, having finished with what may be my last pay job for a while, so it's JOE time in the JOEJOE DOJO!!! I should have some cool stuff to post soon -
crazy joe

"Many miles away----- something rises to the surface...

of a dark........

Scottish.......

lake............"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmodels/albums

Heavy Metal Spike

#37 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Crazy Joe wrote:Well, my plant's essentially shut down for the time being, although we are still processing dealership orders . . .
  • . . . having finished with what may be my last pay job for a while . . .
      • Not so good to hear :(
Crazy Joe wrote: . . . I have a TON of kits to work on . . .
  • . . . so it's JOE time in the JOEJOE DOJO!!! I should have some cool stuff to post soon.
      • Always good to hear :D

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#38 Post by Buc Wheat »

woot!

Heavy Metal Spike

#39 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

One of the 2 new TeeFury shirts that went up today - REALLY tempted :lol:

I ID'd most, but am missing one:
  • • Stay Home festival - AC/DC
    • Personal Space – Metallica
    • Books – KISS
    • Video Games – Iron Maiden
    • Movies – Motorhead
    • Coffee – Slayer
    • Puzzles - ???

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#40 Post by derekc62 »

Puzzles could be Pantera

Derek Conlon