What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Thank goodness for our little hobby...

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Thank goodness for our little hobby...

#1 Post by derekc62 »

Where I live in Canada, the anti-COVID-19 measures are changing day by day and sometimes even hour by hour.

All of our schools, including day-cares, colleges and universities have been closed since last Friday;
People are being encouraged to work from home, when they can and while looking after the kids - others are being laid-off by the thousands;
The airlines are cancelling their international flights and cutting back on other operations;
Bars and restaurants are either closed or offer only severely limited access;
Some retailers are closing and store hours for most other shops are being curtailed;
The pools, libraries, community centres and other public buildings are closed;
Seniors residences are off-limits to visitors, so people with aging parents and other relatives are having a hard time wondering when they'll see loved ones again - all in an effort to keep the most vulnerable safe;
The health-care system has put out an appeal to retired staffers (my wife included) to come back to work and help out - and by the thousands they are ready to return.
I work in a TV newsroom in a relatively high-pressure job, trying my best to keep the community informed with accurate, essential information - but like an awful lot of people now it's harder and harder to unplug, disconnect, take a break and try to clear our heads.

And to that end, I just had a relaxing hour and half hunched over a bust of all things, worrying more about what color to apply rather than trying to anticipate what's going to come next.
So thank goodness for the distraction a bit of paint and a chunk of resin provides.
Stay safe - and wash you hands with soap.
Last edited by derekc62 on March 17th, 2020, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Conlon

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Thank goodness for our little hobby...

#2 Post by Zeiram »

Yeah. Between being on Spring Break, getting a "bonus" week off next week due to further school cancellations, and everything being shut - I'm getting a ton of modeling done. It's been awesome. :)
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#3 Post by tay666 »

Derek - sounds like the same situation we have here in Ohio.
Honestly, all this is currently not really affecting me. My kids are grown and moved out, so the only thing with school being closed is I don't have to worry about buses on my drive to and from work.

I don't really go anywhere this time of year anyway. Go to work, and come home and stay home.
Our pantry and freezer and fully stocked. As long as the stores keep getting perishables (milk, bread, etc) I won't have much issue. I've got probably a 2-3 week supply of toilet paper (which is pretty normal for us)
My life is apparently perfectly suited to the current situation.

But I do understand the stress. Trying to keep abreast of everything going on, the steps being taken.
It's tiring. Especially dealing with the handful of brain-dead coworkers who take everything they read on FB as fact. Some of the stupidity they spout is just mind-boggling.

As long as I have cable, internet, and all the projects around the house, and kits to build in the workshop, I will be fine. Gotta have the escape, if for no other reason than to let your mind tune out for a while and reset.
I check the news in the morning, and in the evening. That is enough for me.
I cannot imagine being in the news business right now.
Almost as bad as listening to my daughter vent about trying to keep her Walmart stocked in the current situation.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by bucketfoot-al »

A part of me wishes that I was in the same boat as you guys.

A garage full of half-built and unbuilt kits (that I haven't touched in 2+ months) - and I am in my busiest work season of the year due to the low mortgage rates. I wear a mask and gloves doing home appraisal inspections, keep clorox wipes in the car (hand sanitizer - 2 gallon-sized jugs - coming tomorrow in the mail).

Everything may be closed, but going to individual single family homes to inspect them is still not verbotten. Russian roulette you might even say (which is why all the protection and precautions - I ask the folks ahead of time to open every door in the house - that way I don't have to touch ANYTHING while I'm photographing).

Oh well. You gotta make hay while the sun shines. :wink:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#5 Post by billikenmonster »

Derek , true words I took a few hours Sunday and worked on a Resin from the Grave Ygor kit a real test of modeling skills but it used a different part of the stress brain so it was really relaxing. I run three call centers for unemployment and we are slammed ….slammed Lets hope this passes soon so we can all get back to normal. Steve

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#6 Post by Misellus »

I'm also in Ohio and pretty much exactly the same as trevor. Go to work, come home, stay there. I live alone and I've got enough of everything to hole up for a couple months without any problem (bought tp a month ago when it was on sale). As long as I have internet for entertainment I'm fine. Mostly I'm cleaning/packing. I wish it were a bit warmer so I could work outside since the garage still needs serious work.

My workplace is still open with no plans to shut down unless either directly told to do so by the government or enough employees get sick. So far 2 people took a week+ off with the flu and 1 person has just stopped coming in after scheduled vacation.

I got my tax refund over the weekend and now have a 3-4 month cushion where even if my workplace shuts down I can still make all payments.

I have seasonal allergies which are kicking in. Mild (wet) cough, runny nose, a lot of head congestion. Good news is most people are leaving me alone :) Trying not to stress over it. Trying not to wonder if it really something more serious. Keep telling myself "Not coronavirus symptoms." In general I have a good immune system. I either don't get sick or I get really sick (meaning found something that could overpower my immune system). 0 or 10, no middle gears.

I worry about my parents mostly. Early 70s and neither is taking "self-isolate" seriously. My dad goes to the gym and goes to park meetings, my mom goes to walmart just to have something to do. Can't convince them they should just stay home.

Good luck everyone, keep your heads down
randy
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by derekc62 »

Randy, your post about your father reminded me - Where I live all the gyms have been closed because, let's face it, everyone touches everything and no one can depend on anyone to properly disinfect.

People are now walking more and reading (since the theatres are closed).

And of course today, when I woke up about 12 hours ago (just got home) I was briefly foolish enough to think maybe there wouldn't be any major developments... and then we close the Canada/USA border to everyone except emergency workers and international trade. Not criticizing, just wondering now what else will happen that I thought I'd never see in my lifetime.

BTW - Al, I hope you're changing your gloves frequently and washing your hands with soap in between. There is a reason - basic chemistry - why soap and water is a much better defence against the virus than alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

And now it's time to go back to my resin distraction....
Derek Conlon

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by bucketfoot-al »

derekc62 wrote:Randy, your post about your father reminded me - Where I live all the gyms have been closed because, let's face it, everyone touches everything and no one can depend on anyone to properly disinfect.

People are now walking more and reading (since the theatres are closed).

And of course today, when I woke up about 12 hours ago (just got home) I was briefly foolish enough to think maybe there wouldn't be any major developments... and then we close the Canada/USA border to everyone except emergency workers and international trade. Not criticizing, just wondering now what else will happen that I thought I'd never see in my lifetime.

BTW - Al, I hope you're changing your gloves frequently and washing your hands with soap in between. There is a reason - basic chemistry - why soap and water is a much better defence against the virus than alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

And now it's time to go back to my resin distraction....
All gyms here in NorCal closed a couple of days ago - as far as the gloves go .... I use a pair of leather driving gloves ... which I immediately nuke with a Lysol bleach wet wipe as soon as I get back to the car ... and most of the time I don't touch anything as I ask the homeowner to open all the interior doors ...

Last edited by bucketfoot-al on March 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by derekc62 »

Now that's what I call playin' it safe!

bucketfoot-al wrote: - as far as the gloves go .... I use a pair of leather driving gloves ... which I immediately nuke with a Lysol bleach wet wipe as soon as I get back to the car ... and most of the time I don't touch anything as I ask the homeowner to open all the interior doors ...

Derek Conlon

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#10 Post by tay666 »

Yeah, gyms, theaters, and now hair salons, tattoo parlors, and a few other things are closed too.
Just got an email from Home Depot saying that they are now closing at 6 PM because of all this.

Never realized how many places had my email until my inbox started to get flooded with all the companies letting me know what they are doing to deal with all this.
Trevor Ylisaari

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#11 Post by Otto69 »

On the plus side, most of us already have nitrile gloves and respirators rated to stop organic fumes, which, I think, will stop airborne bugs.
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#12 Post by derekc62 »

Otto69 wrote:On the plus side, most of us already have nitrile gloves and respirators rated to stop organic fumes, which, I think, will stop airborne bugs.
Careful on this one though... coronavirus exists on surfaces.

So, unlike measles and other airborne bugs this one is heavier.

It'll stay on surfaces for a while - we still don't know how long - and our clothing acts like magnets for it.

That's why hand washing is essential, especially using soap - any kind of soap including dish and laundry - which helps breaks down the components that hold the virus together.

Also, drying your hands properly is essential because viruses like wet or damp surfaces.

Rule of thumb: first thing when you enter the house - wash your hands. First thing when you get to work - wash your hands. Your have a momentary lapse and shake hands with someone - wash your hands. Don't tough your face - your eyes, nose and mouth are gateways for the virus into your system. And disinfect your work stations when you get to work, especially a shared space.

I know I sound like your mother but this is how you drastically cut down on the spread.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

. . . AND by using a paper towel (not bare hands) to carefully turn off the tap AND open doors etc. (before disposing of it).

You drastically cut down on transmission risks by keeping hands & face clean when you DO need to go out AND by not going ANYWHERE unless you absolutely have to.

It ain't rocket science folks!

As Trev said - there are a LOT of brain-dead people out there . . . either being stubborn and/or stupid (in actions and/or words).

Until there is immunisation available, it is the ignorant, the stupid and the selfish that will result in this being dragged out longer than would otherwise be the case.

A shame the "Darwin award" principle doesn't apply - because the idiots are going to be causing the deaths of OTHERS.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#14 Post by Misellus »

Good news, I guess...
My dad tried to go to the gym today and found out it is closed for the next few weeks.

Bad news: my mother then took him to Krogers so he could walk around with her.

They still don't get it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to stop by walmart to get some tylenol in case I eventually need it, or just pay 3x the price and have it shipped to me so I can avoid the crowd. Both plans have merit.

m-
-Theodor Rosyfelt

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#15 Post by tay666 »

Misellus wrote: I'm trying to decide if I want to stop by walmart to get some tylenol in case I eventually need it, or just pay 3x the price and have it shipped to me so I can avoid the crowd. Both plans have merit.

m-
Nothing smaller / less busy nearby where you can get the tylenol?
The one Dollar General I drive by on the way home, rarely has more than 5 people in it at any one time.
Trevor Ylisaari

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#16 Post by Misellus »

I checked websites and not really. Sams Club, Walmart, Meijer all have it. Local Walgreens has small packs but that's more expensive than ordering online; out of large bottles. I went to a dollar store monday and they had a line 15-20 deep. I just left.

I ended up going to Meijer (closer than WM), got the tylenol plus some soup and King Dongs (decided to treat myself). It really wasn't that busy; less than a normal evening. Just not much there atm.

At work right now. Everyone either took the day off or left/will leave early. Right now it's us 3 office workers and we're all leaving at lunch. Place is dead and nothing to do. I spent an hour earlier surfing 9gag.

Owner: Refuses to shut down since there are contracts due, then takes 2 weeks off.
Other Owner: comes in late afternoons/evenings only, to avoid other people.
Shop foreman: decided to take 2 weeks off but didn't tell anyone. Found out via text after a week.
Production manager: Only works half days anyway 75% of the time.
Remainder of staff: F* this, going home.

One of the machinists is sick but still comes in. No one here with the authority to force him to go home. Normally I can avoid him but today he came to my desk. I'm going to keep working until I get sick or we shut down.

wheeee
m-
-Theodor Rosyfelt

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#17 Post by bucketfoot-al »

We have been notified by our clients that we are an "essential business" (since we help keep the mortgage banking industry functioning) and, at least as long as FHA and VA are processing orders for mortgages we are OK to continue working ... with the "equipment" I modeled above and following the 'distancing' recommendations ... crazy stuff I tell you ...
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#18 Post by derekc62 »

At the TV station where I work most people are now working from home - even and camera staff and reporters.

Our reporters shoot their own video, write and edit their own scripts on iPads and I only send a camera person to work with a reporter when we have to do a Live report from a location.

But the challenge is covering a pandemic while trying to make sure the people covering it don't get sick or infected and then spread it to the rest of the staff.

If that happens we're shut down and the flow of information stops.

I was asked today if I could do my job at home but as the Assignment Editor I have to coordinate local staff, national feeds, update the various newscasts and work with other stations in Canada and the US - not doable if I'm at home.

I now look at door handles and elevator buttons as 'the enemy.'
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#19 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote: . . . I now look at door handles and elevator buttons as 'the enemy.'
Elbows, knuckles and finger-joints Derek - and wear loose clothing (hoodies/sweats) that can be used as a barrier if needed.

Be safe everyone.

Heavy Metal Spike

#20 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »