What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Mashaaf, Mr. Graves, Dragonborn

All aspects of Historical and Fantasy Miniatures are under discussion: including creating diorama's and vignettes.

Moderators: Jim Bertges, Moderators

jgoldader
Finger Painter

Mashaaf, Mr. Graves, Dragonborn

#1 Post by jgoldader »

Hello all,

I've finished a few minis. First up are Mashaaf from Reaper with Mr. Graves from Malifeaux.

Mashaaf is from Reaper. I primed him with Vallejo acrylic airbrush primer. (To prime or not to prime these Reaper figures, that is the question. I still have a few sticky spots on Mashaaf, and either they'll dry one day or they'll stay sticky.) My original plan was to make him look like a big section of intestine, but decided to go for the grub look after seeing the nice article in AFM. I mixed up a tan/linen color for the upper body and airbrushed him, then used lightened purples for the abdomen. I used a sponge with darker and lighter blends for some color texture on top and bottom. I wanted the chitinous bits to look like cockroach exoskeleton, and I was very happy with the result. For those, I used Apple Barrel Barn Red, with a few layers of mixes for highlights, topped with clear orange and sepia accents and washes. I'm a great believer in craft paints. They're cheap, and if you thin them with airbrush medium, strain them, and add a drop or two of Future, they go on well with an airbrush. For a regular brush, I just thin with water.

Mr. Graves is from Malifeaux Miniatures. I'm a big fan of the Monster Hunter International novels, and the first time I saw Graves, I said, "It's Agent Franks!" so I eventually bought him. He was painted overall with Vallejo white acrylic airbrush primer with Vallejo black primer for his pants and vest. Flesh tones from Folk Art. I placed him facing off with Mashaaf after a scene in Monster Hunter Nemesis.

Full album (6 images) is here:
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jgolda ... r%20Graves

And second is the spectacular Dragonborn from North Star Models.

This is a resin kit (1/32 scale) that must be based on a 3D print from the Skyrim game files. The level of detail is incredible, I've never before seen such a crisply cast resin kit. I thought I'd go blind and/or insane from trying to paint it. You can get the figure with or without the dragon head. The base is a few rocks from outside with a baking soda, white paint, and Elmers glue mix. I primed the resin bits with gray Vallejo airbrush primer and did everything else by hand using mixes of craft paints.

Full album (5 images) is here:
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jgolda ... Dragonborn

I have a bunch of large figures on order from the Reaper Bones 3 kickstarter, so figured I'd better get these all done before those get here!
"You're gonna need a bigger display case."