What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Birth of Dracula

All aspects of Historical and Fantasy Miniatures are under discussion: including creating diorama's and vignettes.

Moderators: Jim Bertges, Moderators

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

The Birth of Dracula

#1 Post by kevtk135 »

This is another terrific kit from TKS- Terrible Kid Stuff from Italy. It's really call Elizabeta: Birth of Dracula. But I like the shorter name better. It's 75mm in gray resin, and has 7 parts.

Seeing the red armor in the Coppolla movie, my plan was to paint his armor chrome and then add V's Transparent Red over the top.

While the Chrome was drying I knew I was going to add a background, so I just mixed some red and black and painted the cape with that. The fur collar started dark brown and then a few dry brush highlights. Elizabeta was painted all Beige Red. I remember, again from the movie that she lept into the moat or river... and I was going to paint the gown sheer in parts.

Adding the transparent Red to the chrome just turn the armor pink. Many layers later and it still wasn't what I was thinking. I needed to do something else. As I painted his face I had to keep checking with the arm since it wasn't attached to see how much would and wouldn't show.

Elizabeta gown was painted in V's Azure Blue. Darker where the material looked thicker, leaving the Beige Red where it didn't. I also painted the skin with a mix of Pale Skin and Light Gray as she was supposed to be dead, and wanted to to contrast her from Vlad's skin tone.
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Re: The Birth of Dracula

#2 Post by kevtk135 »

I took a break from all the painting and started in on the base. I had these 4X4' blocks hanging around and decided to use that. The base supplied was just one layer but it had 2 or three layers that couldn't be seen to make it a little taller. I thought would be enough, but the base was smaller than the block, I cut out similar sized blocks out of foam to add around the base.

I then had the idea that I would used Green Stuff World's Crackle Paint to make cracks and I planed on painting the cracks yellow and red as if the Devil was making his way up to Vlad. Long story short the crackle paint didn't really work out. :(

I always wanted to add a back drop so I just kept cutting foam to make them. I didn't have my cutter and doing them by hand I ended up with a few different sizes. Oh well. When they were all cut I glued them together with Gorilla Glue .When that dried I cover the whole thing in my Black paint/Mod Podge mix. This will protect the foam from paints and super glues.

Turning back to Dracula's armor I simply applied Nocturna's Sanctuary Red over everything and then a couple of coats of V's Metallic Gloss. That's it, I was done. Since the wood base is rather big I will get a little name plate for it. Thanks for looking.

Kev
~~~

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by Tim Fortuna »

That is super cool. Really like the base, the different sizes give it a more "real" and imperfect plausibility. Very cool.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Scooke123 »

Well done! Lotta detail in such a small piece. I really like the base - simple but effective.
Steve Cooke

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by kevtk135 »

Thanks!
Looking back at the base I’m kinda glad the crackle didn’t work. I think that would have been way to much.
Kev
~~~

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by timetraveler »

Very striking piece. Captures the emotion of the event. Great work on the cloth painting! :D

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by Warped Speed »

So what happened to his main squeeze, she drink too much Diet Coke? :mrgreen:

Good job on another 'mini' Kev.

Carl-