What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

GeoMetric Mini Hunchback

All aspects of Historical and Fantasy Miniatures are under discussion: including creating diorama's and vignettes.

Moderators: Jim Bertges, Moderators

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

GeoMetric Mini Hunchback

#1 Post by kevtk135 »

A few years ago I picked up a few of the old mini kits from Geo-Metric. As usual they got lost in the stash until I just found them again. I don't think I've done the Hunchback since the days when I was a little kid building the Aurora kit.

The kit comes in 4 resin pieces and two metal parts. It all came packed in two bags along with a pic of the finished model.

In the pic, Quasi was holding on to the jester's "crown" the crowd gave him. My first problem was the the hand holding the crown was molded just like the other hand - with an open palm. I just received my new PE pliers and they were strong enough to bend the fingers enough without doing any damage. It's not a perfect grasp, but it'll do.

Taking a break from cleaning up the model, I took a look at the vignette. It comes with a disc that doesn't quite fit under the ledge with gargoyle, and then the arch was just left open behind the figure. I took some trusty foam, and cut out a wall, and also added a spacer to make it not feel like the wall was just blocked up. Didn't do to well on that, but at least there's a solid background now.

Turning back to Quasi, he got his base coat of tan and then my usual Beige Red for the skin color. Looking it up Charles Laughton had blue eyes, and so I did those. But the figure is really too small to make out an eye color once the pupil was put in.

The image had him wearing a light green tunic with dark green tights, his shirt was some sort of beige, and brown shoes. Laughton also was said to have sandy brown hair so I tried to mimic that. With that done I gave his shirt a wash with some Citadel Green shade. Looking at the pic of the crown the colors looks to be red and blue. Finding other pics online - altho B&W, the actually crown part seemed to be a shiny metal. So I broke out V's Duraluminum, and washed it with Nuln Oil to darkened the details.

One shade darkening to the recesses of the skin and then 3 highlights later, I was done. I had previously drilled holes in the gargoyle for the pins I had in his feet and I was done. It was then I saw that he was looking no where with his good eye. So I got some V's Ivory, Azure, and Black and gave him a new place to look - at the viewer.

Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

Re: GeoMetric Mini Hunchback

#2 Post by KathyD »

Very nice, love the colours and the stonework on the base

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#3 Post by billikenmonster »

Good job on this

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by Warped Speed »

Yet another really good one Kev.! I'm beginning to understand why you're drawn to the small stuff...SHELF SPACE?

Carl-

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by kevtk135 »

Thanks everyone! :D

KathyD - thanks. I've been doing a lot of watching the "mini" guys on You Tube lately. Many are into this "make a 1000 foam blocks" and build a castle type of thing. Besides being zen, cutting all the blocks, they work out well. One of the guys to look at is Black Magic Craft. There's another EXCELLENT guy (IMHO) is Oliver Spaeth on Instagram, that does tremendous work and really takes height into account while building a little vignette.

Carl: Yep, I've been into these 75 to 200mm figures now for a while. The detail will knock your sox off, and as you mentioned it saves on shelf space-not to mention I could buy 2.5 - 3 of these kits rather than one 1:6 scale model. While if one of those comes along that I can't resist, I'll get it. I'm not usually in a mood to pay $300+ for a 1:6 figure plus elaborate base. Forget it if it's awesome and 1:4 or 1:3... Space is definitely a factor.
The guy who operate fantastic-plastic.com, once said he had no room to display his prolly 1000's of models. So he started the website, and shows them there, while most of his collection is safely boxed away. I'm just at the point where I'm going to have to start building boxes...
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Scooke123 »

Great job!! I've always liked these small kits but never pulled the trigger on one. Shelf space would definately be a plus!
Steve Cooke