What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

World Model Expo Chicago 2017

For info on other shows.
Do you have local shows that you'd like to post about. Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Scott Johansen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

World Model Expo Chicago 2017

#1 Post by Scott Johansen »

You know, recently someone bragged to me about how much traffic is here and the fun people are having on this forum again now that they "altered" some of the rules. So how is it that a major event like the World Model Expo happens in Chicago last week and no one posts about it????? Have I missed something? If so I apologize. But for the sake of the hobby I'm going to post a link to Norbert's pics!! . https://www.flickr.com/photos/124306931 ... 303158474/ Now folks when you are looking at this stuff and are impressed (as you should be) by the work keep in mind that the majority of the figures you see are only a few inches tall. This work simply blew me away. Now I understand that painting a miniature is different than what we do but still.........these guys/gals blow us away!! I really wish that the garage kit world and the contests involving the garage kit world exhibited the high level of skill that I saw here. You have some talented guys in this hobby there is no doubt about it. This should be a wake up call to everyone else in this hobby, including myself, to step up our games!! I've said for years that the quality of the WF contest and others has gone downhill. The really good guys get better but the majority of mediocre modeling that is called "good" in this hobby continues to stagnate. None of this is being said to discourage anyone!! If anything the opposite!! Step up your game!!! As long as this stuff is around it's no wonder we're not taken seriously! The majority of the pieces that I saw were really done at a high level. Can we honestly say that about the WF contest? Now before the crap hits the fan this is not a knock to the WF contest at all (or any other GK contest). It's directed at those entering these contests. We have a long way to go.

SJ

Nerv31
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: World Model Expo Chicago 2017

#2 Post by Nerv31 »

Yep.
Jason Walker

http://www.amazingmodeler.com
God's mighty anvil will strike without warning.
http://www.wasteyourlife.com

yvesvidal
Seam Filler

#3 Post by yvesvidal »

Very nice. Thank you for posting.

Yves

shakey dave 187
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by shakey dave 187 »

Well Scotty too hotty, put ya money where ya mouth is and enter the contest!!! :)
I plan on entering as long as I keep going and try to step up my game with each new build!

NM 156
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by NM 156 »

Scott Johansen wrote: I really wish that the garage kit world and the contests involving the garage kit world exhibited the high level of skill that I saw here. You have some talented guys in this hobby there is no doubt about it. This should be a wake up call to everyone else in this hobby, including myself, to step up our games!
Scott Johansen wrote: Now before the crap hits the fan this is not a knock to the WF contest at all (or any other GK contest). It's directed at those entering these contests. We have a long way to go.
So what you'r really saying Scott is your modeling stinks along with
"everyone else in the hobby except "some undoubtably talented guys".
(Just for the record, that is sarcasm)
Here's a thought... It's a hobby!!! It's meant to be fun. Telling folks they
need to step up their games because you want to see better, or you want
"our" hobby to be taken more seriously, is a bit condescending.
So what do you suggest, people get better, or accept that their work is
sub-par and refrain from entering it in a contest?... I disagree.

Not only is it a good thing to experience the contest for the judging results,
good and/or bad, but it's also alot of fun to see SO many (730+ at WF) built
and painted kits under one roof. Not to mention seeing, meeting, and talking
to so many like minded individuals.
That is what this hobby, especially going to the shows and entering/ viewing
their contests is all about for me!!!
Last edited by NM 156 on July 13th, 2017, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K.

shakey dave 187
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by shakey dave 187 »

NM 156 wrote:
Scott Johansen wrote: I really wish that the garage kit world and the contests involving the garage kit world exhibited the high level of skill that I saw here. You have some talented guys in this hobby there is no doubt about it. This should be a wake up call to everyone else in this hobby, including myself, to step up our games!
Scott Johansen wrote: Now before the crap hits the fan this is not a knock to the WF contest at all (or any other GK contest). It's directed at those entering these contests. We have a long way to go.
So what you'r really saying Scott is your modeling stinks along with

good and/or bad, but it is alot of fun to see SO many model kits (730+ at WF)
built and painted under one roof. Not to mention seeing, meeting, and talking
Damn good point....

Scott Johansen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by Scott Johansen »

NM 156 wrote:So what you'r really saying Scott is your modeling stinks along with

Matt and everyone else, My post was not meant to be condescending at all. If anyone took it that way I apologize. I love the GK hobby, the scale we work in, the people (well most of them), etc. I was just simply blown away by what I saw at this show. For the record.......YES my modeling stinks :oops: !! I'm humbled enough by the stuff I see at WF but this work was amazing. Now it's two different styles of modeling yet very similar as well and I acknowledge that. For years I have said that the guys that just pull something out, build it, paint it, and display it enjoy the hobby way more that my perfectionist ass does! I guess the point I'm trying to make by saying we need to "step up our game" is exactly as you said as far as I want to see the hobby that I still love be taken more seriously in the hobby world. I'm not suggesting that people refrain from entering sub-par work at all (however I've seen guys enter sub par work for years and then bitch about not winning anything. I've also seen guys do the opposite, get better, and eventually win top awards). I am saying I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I've been going to WF for 22 years. I've seen every contest in that span. What I have seen over the years is more entries but less quality. Is it cool that there are that many kits under one roof? ABSOLUTELY!! Now can you imagine a higher level of quality with that many? I can and now that I've seen it. The mainstream modeling hobby caters to these guys and makes more products geared directly for them. Wouldn't it be great if they did that for us?? As for the seeing, meeting, and talking to like minded individuals........well I don't think you can ever replace that with anything. I think it's the thing that keeps us all going back. We're all on the same side here guys......this wasn't meant to be a "shot" at anyone.

SJ

Scott Johansen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#8 Post by Scott Johansen »

shakey dave 187 wrote:Well Scotty too hotty, put ya money where ya mouth is and enter the contest!!! :)
I plan on entering as long as I keep going and try to step up my game with each new build!
And you do it very well my friend. I hope to be half as good as some of you guys someday!! You do step up your game every year!! Guys like you and many others have set the bar that we should all strive to achieve!! Scotty too Hotty...........I like that!! LOL

SJ

shakey dave 187
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#9 Post by shakey dave 187 »

You're retired now, you should be living the nerd dream!!!!
Pop on some good horror /sci-do movies and hit the bench!!!!
Start small with some bust to get back in the swing, then keep rockin!!!

swriojas
Earl of Epoxy

#10 Post by swriojas »

shakey dave 187 wrote:You're retired now, you should be living the nerd dream!!!!
Shakey, don't know how you are with molding and casting, maybe you're an all star, but I do know when he hits THAT bench it's very impressive. Everything I've seen him do over the years is pretty darn nice. We all have our talents and areas we put our time into.

Steve

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Scott Johansen wrote:
NM 156 wrote:So what you'r really saying Scott is your modeling stinks along with

Matt and everyone else, My post was not meant to be condescending at all. If anyone took it that way I apologize. I love the GK hobby, the scale we work in, the people (well most of them), etc. I was just simply blown away by what I saw at this show. For the record.......YES my modeling stinks :oops: !! I'm humbled enough by the stuff I see at WF but this work was amazing. Now it's two different styles of modeling yet very similar as well and I acknowledge that. For years I have said that the guys that just pull something out, build it, paint it, and display it enjoy the hobby way more that my perfectionist ass does! I guess the point I'm trying to make by saying we need to "step up our game" is exactly as you said as far as I want to see the hobby that I still love be taken more seriously in the hobby world. I'm not suggesting that people refrain from entering sub-par work at all (however I've seen guys enter sub par work for years and then bitch about not winning anything. I've also seen guys do the opposite, get better, and eventually win top awards). I am saying I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I've been going to WF for 22 years. I've seen every contest in that span. What I have seen over the years is more entries but less quality. Is it cool that there are that many kits under one roof? ABSOLUTELY!! Now can you imagine a higher level of quality with that many? I can and now that I've seen it. The mainstream modeling hobby caters to these guys and makes more products geared directly for them. Wouldn't it be great if they did that for us?? As for the seeing, meeting, and talking to like minded individuals........well I don't think you can ever replace that with anything. I think it's the thing that keeps us all going back. We're all on the same side here guys......this wasn't meant to be a "shot" at anyone.

SJ
I agree.. :) the hobby is almost 30yrs old and has slowed down
compared to 90's..
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Scott Johansen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#12 Post by Scott Johansen »

shakey dave 187 wrote:You're retired now, you should be living the nerd dream!!!!
That's the plan at some point!! LOL Of course I've been saying that for years!! This molding and casting thing keeps getting in the way!!

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by resin addict »

Two things...
- First of all, I think a couple people are misunderstanding Scott's point, and I also can see that point.
It was obvious to me when I read his initial post that he wasn't "dissing" anyone or any event, but I do agree...if you've ever seen some of the world class miniatures that are in those contests, they will just blow you away...and they're done at a much smaller scale than our (typical 1/6) scale which in my mind makes it even more impressive.
Not intending to brag, but I've won a couple awards in my lifetime, but when I see some of the work at those contests, I just shake my head and say "nope...I could never do that"...or "I wish I could do that". Now to be fair, I look at some entries at W.F. and say the same thing, but not as much...
So, I guess my takeaway is that we kind of have developed a comfort zone...we think that we've reached a pinnacle, but be encouraged to explore other venues, and use that to up your game; to set a higher bar, bring our work to the next level.
- Second...this started in "The Garage"...some mod. moved it to the show section, probably because of the title...but it's really not about the show, I think the intent was to start a discussion regarding our standards and setting them higher; to challenge ourselves more. This doesn't belong in the "Convention and Show" section and should be moved back to "The Garage" before it quickly gets buried...perhaps change the title of the thread?
Randy
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Scott Johansen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#14 Post by Scott Johansen »

resin addict wrote:Two things...
- First of all, I think a couple people are misunderstanding Scott's point, and I also can see that point.
It was obvious to me when I read his initial post that he wasn't "dissing" anyone or any event, but I do agree...if you've ever seen some of the world class miniatures that are in those contests, they will just blow you away...and they're done at a much smaller scale than our (typical 1/6) scale which in my mind makes it even more impressive.
Not intending to brag, but I've won a couple awards in my lifetime, but when I see some of the work at those contests, I just shake my head and say "nope...I could never do that"...or "I wish I could do that". Now to be fair, I look at some entries at W.F. and say the same thing, but not as much...
So, I guess my takeaway is that we kind of have developed a comfort zone...we think that we've reached a pinnacle, but be encouraged to explore other venues, and use that to up your game; to set a higher bar, bring our work to the next level.
- Second...this started in "The Garage"...some mod. moved it to the show section, probably because of the title...but it's really not about the show, I think the intent was to start a discussion regarding our standards and setting them higher; to challenge ourselves more. This doesn't belong in the "Convention and Show" section and should be moved back to "The Garage" before it quickly gets buried...perhaps change the title of the thread?
Randy
Thanks Randy, you totally got it and I agree I wish it would be moved back to the garage as well.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#15 Post by tay666 »

Actually, I think it fits here just fine.
While some of this may apply to the Garage, I also see it as a separate thing.
If anything it would get moved to the miniature forum, as it applies to that more than it does the Garage.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by resin addict »

tay666 wrote:Actually, I think it fits here just fine.
While some of this may apply to the Garage, I also see it as a separate thing.
If anything it would get moved to the miniature forum, as it applies to that more than it does the Garage.
I respectfully disagree.
This really has nothing to do with miniatures or the referenced show, except for the fact that the level of skill demonstrated by the builders at this particular show was referenced because it seemed to eclipse a percentage of the builds seen in the contest at WF.
As Scott has verified, this really was intended to be the beginning of a discussion about challenging ourselves, not settling but rather pushing ourselves to a higher level.
Maybe not "The Garage", but for sure "The Monkey Bars" (Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...)
But definately not "Show Announcements" (For info on other shows. Do you have local shows that you'd like to post about. Put it here!) or "Historical and Fantasy Miniatures" (All aspects of Historical and Fantasy Miniatures are under discussion: including creating diorama's and vignettes).
The intent of Scott's post has nothing to do with either of those categories.
If we want to continue to have a discussion about a perceived level of complacency in our builds, put it (the discussion) in a subforum that more people see...don't bury it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

NM 156
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#17 Post by NM 156 »

To make my point...
Scott Johansen wrote:Now before the crap hits the fan this is not a knock to the WF contest at all (or any other GK contest). It's directed at those entering these contests.
Misunderstanding? Or poor choice of words?

It's one thing to praise the efforts of miniature modelers, but "knocking" those that one
feels aren't producing good stuff or getting better, is, in my opinion, a bit condescending.
Even if he knocks himself - :roll: :lol:

Through my years of being in this hobby, I have heard many modelers express how
their stuff isn't "good enough" to enter into the contest. Although, maybe they are
right that their stuff isn't as good as some of the stuff they see in said contests,
I feel, from my own experience, that actually entering has made me a better modeler.
So maybe my "misunderstanding" may also be shared by others, like some of those
apprehensive modelers that I mentioned, and discourage them from entering.
Just for the record, I have been entering WF contests since '07, and have done
increasingly better (judging-wise) as the years went by.

My other point is that the contest, at WF at least, is the only place where attendee
modelers can display/show their stuff. Knock them and they may be discouraged
from doing so. As in my original post, it's cool to see SO many models on display.
Discouraging newbies, novice, or "recreational" modelers from entering, and those
numbers will unfortunately go down.
Matt K.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#18 Post by tay666 »

It's also comparing apples and oranges.
Those guys entering in the miniature contests also make their living painting minis.
That is their work. They are pros.
While most that enter WF or JF are enjoying a hobby.
Most aren't trying to win awards so they can charge higher commissions, they are showing off what they accomplished while holding down a steady job, and keeping their family happy.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by resin addict »

tay666 wrote: Those guys entering in the miniature contests also make their living painting minis.
That is their work. They are pros.
While most that enter WF or JF are enjoying a hobby.
Most aren't trying to win awards so they can charge higher commissions, they are showing off what they accomplished while holding down a steady job, and keeping their family happy.
And you're basing this statement on what proof?
And I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the decision was made to move this...as you've just indicated by your post, it's not a discussion about a specific show, but rather a discussion about the level of quality/expertise that people are working to attain...I'll request again, move this to the Monkey Bars or Garage...but please don't bury it in the Conventions/Shows subforum

eastman3
Brush Jockey

#20 Post by eastman3 »

I'm kind of late to this party, but wanted to comment.

Some of the exhibitors are World Expo were full time professional painters. That is true. World Expo brings the best of the best (and me last year since it was local). There are a number of exhibits featuring the original sculpt as painted for the kit box. But even though many of the exhibitors may paint professionally, there are a number of those who don't paint as a full-time job. One of the Fantasy Painters is a medical doctor in real life.

The judging standards at World Expo are significantly tougher than the US shows (the MMSI Chicago show is one of the premier US shows for Historical models, and I saw a number of pieces which were awarded gold in Chicago previously only score Bronze of Silver at World)

As a judge in the Fantasy category for MMSI Chicago, we encourage cross-over between the different categories. It is always great to have a dinosaur, next to a 1:1 scale nosferatu head, next to a "pin-up" kit across the aisle from a rank of 54mm Napoleonic & WWII figures.

edit - thanks for posting the link to Norbert's pictures, good to see those pieces again. My tool girl is at the bottom of page 5.