What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

AFM #59 HAMMER HORROR!!!

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

AFM #59 HAMMER HORROR!!!

#1 Post by Cult of Personality »

JUST got my copy and once again am FLOORED by just perusing the pics!!! Stuff that jumps out (in NO particular order) the INCREDIBLE Hammer GK Gallery (an honor to have THREE projects I worked on for John at Posthumous make the cut) Jeff Camp's repaint of an Ingrid Pitt "Countess Dracula" prepaint and a build-up of Gillman/MVT's 1/4 scale "Curse of the Werewolf". Not only that, but an interview with Veronica Carlson (who I was able to meet at the last Resintopia). Will post more once I have had the chance to DEVOUR this issue!
Kudos all around!
Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Lonnie James
CH Supporter / Registered Seller
CH Supporter / Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: AFM #59 HAMMER HORROR!!!

#2 Post by Lonnie James »

I can't wait to get my copy! The mail can't come fast enough.......

Lonnie James
I'm not a hard working guy, I'm a genius!

Visit my Website!

https://lj4429.wixsite.com/monstermodelmadness

The Coop
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by The Coop »

I got home from a few days working out of town to mine on the kitchen table. I didn't even realize it was due so it was a very nice surprise.
"I feel a little strange inside,
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde."
Rory Gallagher

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Cult of Personality »

I knew Terry and Dave had hoped to debut it at WF, but I did not expect to have mine so soon after the show! BTW, another great guest editorial, this one by George Stephenson. And Stewart, if you are reading this, your Hammer GK gallery article is FANTASTIC!!! Mike and Charlie; what a truly AWESOME kit your "Curse of Frankenstein" diorama is. Paul and MVT; I have told you in person how I feel about your Leon figure, but HOLY COW it is just too cool to see how your talents of sculpting and casting payoff in the hands of a skilled builder. This just looks to be another issue where subject matter, skilled sculptors, painters, writers (and of course editors) combine to a total package greater than the sum of the parts. (And I'm STILL only about halfway through, LOL! :D )
Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Joe Fleming
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by Joe Fleming »

BEST ISSUE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it yesterday and I am trying o read it slowly to prolong the enjoyment so I just keep reading the same articles. Trying to save the David Fisher article for Saturday.
The question is not so much where we are as when we are.

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Cult of Personality wrote:I knew Terry and Dave had hoped to debut it at WF, but I did not expect to have mine so soon after the show! BTW, another great guest editorial, this one by George Stephenson. And Stewart, if you are reading this, your Hammer GK gallery article is FANTASTIC!!! Mike and Charlie; what a truly AWESOME kit your "Curse of Frankenstein" diorama is. Paul and MVT; I have told you in person how I feel about your Leon figure, but HOLY COW it is just too cool to see how your talents of sculpting and casting payoff in the hands of a skilled builder. This just looks to be another issue where subject matter, skilled sculptors, painters, writers (and of course editors) combine to a total package greater than the sum of the parts. (And I'm STILL only about halfway through, LOL! :D )
Tom
Tom: Thanks man, I'm very glad your're enjoying the article, it was a true honor for me to be part of AFM and contribute on my favorite subject. Thankfully, David was very patient and understanding regarding my novice status with putting something like this together. Not real cyber savvy, but I caught on.

I'm hoping mine will come today as I've seen the PDF for the article and the cover and as always, I was blown away by David's work. Based on responses so far, I'm drooling!

Stewart :D
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by DoctorG »

I'm happy to see that everyone is enjoying the new issue! As Tom mentioned, everyone pulled together to make this an extra-special issue. Stewart, since I do the proofing/editing, I want to thank you for an extremely well-written piece on your first attempt; you made my job a lot easier :D
Dr. G.

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Stewart Jackson »

DoctorG wrote:I'm happy to see that everyone is enjoying the new issue! As Tom mentioned, everyone pulled together to make this an extra-special issue. Stewart, since I do the proofing/editing, I want to thank you for an extremely well-written piece on your first attempt; you made my job a lot easier :D
That's a relief! I'm glad it was easy for you to work with. Terry had originally asked if I could keep it to 30 or 40 Hammer subjects and while I tried it that way, there was just too much great work that would have had to be left out. Even keeping it to 72 was tough!

I'd like to take a moment to thank all those who went out of their way to contribute build up pics for the article. It's your work that really makes the piece shine!

Stewart :D

Nalissa2

#9 Post by Nalissa2 »

Still waiting on mine. :cry:

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Nalissa2 wrote:Still waiting on mine. :cry:

Susan:

Should be very soon. I got my copies today and Holy Mother of Resin it is absolutely magnificent! I may be biased as I adore Hammer and Hammer subjects, but it is a thing of complete beauty. Dave and all of the artists pulled out every stop and delivered a huge, brilliant issue! Dave's graphic work and layout AND doing a show stopping build of Forbidden Zone's Curse of Frankenstein kit is nothing short of astounding!

I'll be digging in tonight with a huge grin on my face!!

Stewart :bow:

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#11 Post by Tiger2 »

AWESOME! My copy arrived today, it is a sumptuous production in every way, outstanding content and design, a veritable howitzer of Hammer eye candy and over the moon to see my Mike Hill Lee in the gallery :D

Nalissa2

#12 Post by Nalissa2 »

Got mine today! Very cool! :)

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by DoctorG »

It's kind of sadly ironic that the release of the Hammer issue somewhat coincided with the passing of Christopher Lee...
Dr. G.

Avall15
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#14 Post by Avall15 »

I checked my faithful Barnes and nobles yesterday and they didn't have it yet.... can't wait to see the fine work

Kitzilla
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#15 Post by Kitzilla »

Hope they don't have the delivery issues that plagued the last issue.

Avall15
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#16 Post by Avall15 »

Disclaimer: i know i can get a subscription, but there is something about going to the store and picking it up that i like better.

so, each issue for the past however many years i have been getting from a local barnes and nobles. This particular issue still has not reached this location......is there a way to know if this issue didnt make it to the stores for whatever reason (perhaps WF) or is AFM no longer supplying issues to the stores? I do know that not all Barnes and Nobles carry it....but this one has been carrying it for many years.

Thanks, would appreciate any feedback.

bobgregory
Brush Jockey

#17 Post by bobgregory »

Before I got my subscription I bought mine at the local b/n. They usually get the new magazines every Tuesday. Check with an employee and they will look it up and they should have a readout of when it is coming and how many. Also the employee doing the stacking may have put in another section by accident.
Bob Gregory
Ruining one kit at at a time.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#18 Post by Otto69 »

Just a thought: it's best to subscribe if you want to see AFM continue. By subscribing, AFM can more accurately project how many copies to make and more easily manage its finances, putting fewer out on the stand that might be returned for credit.
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Avall15
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#19 Post by Avall15 »

Thanks Bob... Worth a shot. I know last week I had relatives check and clerk just said they didn't have them, but you are right about asking more questions.
Wasn't sure if anyone from AFM knew if there was a hitch with this issue or if they know it was no longer being offered in stores.

Otto... Just a matter of preference I suppose. At minimum I know two less would be returned to them :)

bobgregory
Brush Jockey

#20 Post by bobgregory »

As an example, the local b/n here in williamsburg said they had issue 58. But I never saw it on the racks. Then on my way home from my ipms meeting I stopped at a huge b/n in Hampton va and they had several copies.
The other day I saw issue 59 hiding behind a Lego magazine.
Bob Gregory
Ruining one kit at a time