What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Next AFM?

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: The Next AFM?

#141 Post by Stewart Jackson »

I received the new issue yesterday and had a chance to peruse it and I was just struck by how incredibly well produced these are. Not that I haven't noticed that before, because it has always been a beautiful production that just got better and better as time went on.

In the editorial Terry put forth the question about going digital, or staying with print. I'm torn on the subject as there is nothing like having AFM(s) right there in your hands, but I am also sympatric to the headaches and increasing costs associated with the publishing and distribution of the mag. Ultimately, I'm good either way that Terry and Dave want to continue AFM, because I'd rather see it go on than disappear. That decision rests with Terry and David and I respect their choice, because they have clearly shown their persistence in the face of all obstacles to share their love of this crazy hobby with the rest of us nuts!
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#142 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Stewart Jackson wrote: . . . In the editorial Terry put forth the question about going digital, or staying with print.
I'm torn on the subject as there is nothing like having AFM(s) right there in your hands, but I am also sympatric to the headaches and increasing costs associated with the publishing and distribution of the mag . . .
Agreed.

I haven't read the editorial yet, and don't know how successful other publications were when they converted to digital.

Having said that, given the audience, my guess would be that it would become simply another set of details on the interwebs, and wouldn't last long Image

I'd rather the price was increased if it THAT would enable the printed version to continue.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#143 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Spike;

Yep, I too would have no problem parting with more green to keep AFM going. Now the hard question is: will enough others feel the same?

JJJ92557
Jack of all Trades

#144 Post by JJJ92557 »

Still waiting for mine.
A Mind Is A Terrible Thing, And Must be Stopped Within Our Lifetime

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#145 Post by timetraveler »

AFM's perseverance through the decades is a testament to the expertise and devotion Terry and David have shown for the hobby. Put simply, the magazine is great! There is really nothing quite like it. I definitely prefer hard copy as opposed to digital format. Its like having a model, or looking at pictures of a model. I'll take the real thing. There is something about the tangibility that connects on a different level. I have been a subscriber since its inception, support the advertisers, take their classes and buy things at the vendor table. I'll keep doing this as long as possible. :D

hellboy51
Finger Painter

#146 Post by hellboy51 »

I am behind AFM staying in print. I usually pick up from Barnes and Nobles but think I'll subscribe once I move. The magazine is great and has always been high quality. I'll pay more to keep it in print. I recall the Kitbuilders tried to go digital but it didn't work since they never updated the site.
Still Ill take the magazine in any form I can get.
Don't panic. OK, you can panic a little.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#147 Post by Scooke123 »

I would rather have AFM in print and would support a price increase if need be. I'm sure the costs to publish are enormous and that getting manufacturers to buy ads have to be dwindling as well. If going digital is the only viable option to keep it going I'll support that as well. I'd hate to see the last man (figural mag) standing go away................
Steve Cooke

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#148 Post by Todd P. »

I don't want to be too negative, but I'd say that AFM going digital would be a mistake, as it was for Kitbuilders. At the same time, I know they must be taking a terrible financial beating right now and that can put you into a downward spiral that's nearly impossible to stop. I also think they're close to the ceiling on how much people will pay for a magazine.

I'm rooting for them.

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#149 Post by centaur1 »

I think, given the times, they almost have to go Digital in order to survive

I am amazed they made it this long, given the cost of printing, and the lack of demand for printed material of all forms in this digital age

Embrace the times and go digital, and drastically Cut your costs, so you can stay afloat .....and continue to supply the publication to your diehard fan base

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#150 Post by scuzzfink85 »

The problem is the hobby is changed so much since AFM came out.
Subscriptions are down because there's much less modelers and new subscriptions are down..
Sure newstand helped by how much..? people can still buy a single issue from the cultman tv
Comic book stores are going the way of vhs we have none around hear.
I miss kit builders and Modelers resource .. everything has it's time.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#151 Post by centaur1 »

scuzzfink85 wrote:The problem is the hobby is changed so much since AFM came out.
Subscriptions are down because there's much less modelers and new subscriptions are down..
Sure newstand helped by how much..? people can still buy a single issue from the cultman tv
Comic book stores are going the way of vhs we have none around hear.
I miss kit builders and Modelers resource .. everything has it's time.
You ain’t kidding

I also miss kit builders and modelers resource. I advertising in both, and they both ran articles on my pieces. Never one article on any of my kits in AFM over 11 years of Kit producing. That group is very cliquish, as many have learned the hard way. But it is what it is

Anyway....... I spoke to Dan J. not long ago and he’s doing well ——and I hope Fred Deruvo is doing well too

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#152 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

centaur1 wrote: . . . I spoke to Dan J. not long ago and he’s doing well . . .
Good to hear - I always liked that guy - great painter and very knowledgeable, friendly & approachable.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#153 Post by centaur1 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
centaur1 wrote: . . . I spoke to Dan J. not long ago and he’s doing well . . .
Good to hear - I always liked that guy - great painter and very knowledgeable, friendly & approachable.

He and a couple others put on a regular collectibles/ toy event here in St. Louis and they had Randy Bowen as a guest a few months ago. Dan and Barb had Bowen come and spend time at their house.

Last I heard many years ago, Fred was trying to get into acting. I’m not sure how that is going, but he’s a good man and I wish him the best

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#154 Post by centaur1 »

I checked three comic stores here in St. Louis that all carry diamond, and none of them had the new AFM

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#155 Post by yellowcat »

centaur1 wrote:I checked three comic stores here in St. Louis that all carry diamond, and none of them had the new AFM
It was delivered to comic stores on September 30. Likely it all been sold out. May be the store can back order for you.

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#156 Post by centaur1 »

yellowcat wrote:
centaur1 wrote:I checked three comic stores here in St. Louis that all carry diamond, and none of them had the new AFM
It was delivered to comic stores on September 30. Likely it all been sold out. May be the store can back order for you.
I asked for it and had a couple of the stores looked it up, and they could order it, but did not stock it

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#157 Post by yellowcat »

[quote="centaur1"][quote="yellowcat"][quote="centaur1"]I checked three comic stores here in St. Louis that all carry diamond, and none of them had the new AFM[/quote]
It was delivered to comic stores on September 30. Likely it all been sold out. May be the store can back order for you.[/quote]

I asked for it and had a couple of the stores looked it up, and they could order it, but did not stock it[/quote]

The magazine is not a regular item that comic stores will stock up. Unless their customer request for a subscription then they will bring in couple extra copies for sale in their stores.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#158 Post by Todd P. »

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#159 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Yes indeed they did! Downloaded mine just now and skimmed it. It's absolutely AFM all the way just missing the paper. Dave tackles all 5 of Jeff Yagher and Paul Gill's Blade Runner busts and OMG are they beautifully painted by Dave at the top of his game! So much goodness to enjoy and I'll take a deep dive into it later, but anyone who wasn't sure about doing the digital version, I urge you to rethink it as you'll really be missing great stuff.

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#160 Post by yellowcat »

Download my copy and it is fantastic.