What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Next AFM?

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: The Next AFM?

#81 Post by derekc62 »

Timber wrote:
Would be fine if AFM were a bi-weekly or monthly magazine.
If you're not in Star Wars, you have to wait a half year for "your" next AFigure(!)M.

Just my opinion
Rainer

Unfortunately as with all things 'media' related - be they magazines, news papers, radio or television - advertising is key.
I seriously doubt there are enough advertisers in this niche hobby with pockets deep enough to help sustain a monthly magazine.
There is a reason why AFM stands as the lone survivor for this part of the hobby.
Derek Conlon

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#82 Post by yellowcat »

Quarterly is fine with me. I order mine through the Preview catalog from my local comic shop or any comic shop across the US and Canada. The good thing is you won't be charged for any shipping cost just the cover price and comes in flat boarded in plastic bag. (No more folded magazines by the postman.) The bad is it is always late due to distribution. I won''t be getting mine till January 9th.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT188715

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#83 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

yellowcat wrote:Quarterly is fine with me. I order mine through the Preview catalog from my local comic shop or any comic shop across the US and Canada. The good thing is you won't be charged for any shipping cost just the cover price and comes in flat boarded in plastic bag. (No more folded magazines by the postman.) The bad is it is always late due to distribution. I won''t be getting mine till January 9th.
Thanks for the info Felix. So how does this work using the link you gave?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#84 Post by yellowcat »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
yellowcat wrote:Quarterly is fine with me. I order mine through the Preview catalog from my local comic shop or any comic shop across the US and Canada. The good thing is you won't be charged for any shipping cost just the cover price and comes in flat boarded in plastic bag. (No more folded magazines by the postman.) The bad is it is always late due to distribution. I won''t be getting mine till January 9th.
Thanks for the info Felix. So how does this work using the link you gave?

You can print out a copy of the page or give your local comic shop the order number. For this issue the number is OCT188715. Even it has passed the due date, they can still be able to order it for you.

You can also subscribe the magazine through the comic shop. Just let the shop know that you want a subscription and the magazine is published quarterly. They shall call you when new one arrives. New stuff (comics, magazines, statues, model kits etc) arrive every Wednesday and there is no shipping charge or custom duty on all the stuff just the regular sale tax.

From time to time you can also do a search on the Preview website https://www.previewsworld.com/ when you know there is a new one coming. Just type in Amazing Figure Modeler in the the search and it will show you all the details. You can also check with the comic shop.

You may be able to find some out of production resin kits in the comic shop. Some resin kits are distributed through Diamond comic distributor to the comic shop.

Hope this help!

Heavy Metal Spike

#85 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Ah - got it - so you order via a local comic shop NOT through the weblink.

Well, it's worth a try - the envelopes that AFM's subscription distributor uses are too flimsy to guarantee safe arrival in the post.

Thanks again Felix :thumb2:

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#86 Post by yellowcat »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Ah - got it - so you order via a local comic shop NOT through the weblink.

Well, it's worth a try - the envelopes that AFM's subscription distributor uses are too flimsy to guarantee safe arrival in the post.

Thanks again Felix :thumb2:

Yes, via your local comic shop and no shipping charges. You save $8.50 US shipping cost for a single copy and deliver to you with no damage.
I have been ordering from the comic shop since the early nineties.

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#87 Post by centaur1 »

Received my issue today. Several really well done figure articles, although I personally am not into the ships/ vehicle genre they added this time, I can easily understand adding so many vehicle articles to this particulat issue given it is Star Wars themed. May also bring in some more readers from the vehicle genre over to figures

The usual killer graphics and layout, and interesting editorial read as we can expect from David and Terry.

.... overall, another really impressive issue. Always brings a smile to my face to pull a new issue of AFM out of the mailbox, even after 15-16 years of subscribing

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#88 Post by Stewart Jackson »

I received my copy on Christmas Eve and while I am not a fan of Star Wars, there is so much there in tips and ideas that goes beyond subject matter. As always the magazine is beautifully produced and photographed. As there are so many Star Wars fans out there it really is a good choice for a themed issue.

I remember going to see the first Star Wars film because Peter Cushing was in it. I did enjoy that one and it's sequel, they lost me with Return of the Jedi. Much later they got me again with putting Christopher Lee in one, but wow, that was just bad. Thought I was going to be attacked by angry fans when I burst out laughing during the light sabre fight between Lee and Yoda. Never watched another.
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

CPATTER328
Glue Sniffer

#89 Post by CPATTER328 »

Is it too soon to ask the status of the next issue?

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#90 Post by Zeiram »

I think it’s headed to the printers soon if it’s not there already.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#91 Post by DoctorG »

Yes, it should be headed to press soon, if not already :D
Dr. G.

RogueJ
Jack of all Trades

#92 Post by RogueJ »

Will the new issue be in my hot little hands before WF?
Celebrities. Is there nothing they don't know? – Homer Simpson

Heavy Metal Spike

#93 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I'm hoping there was enough time to allow some sort of tribute to John Tucky.

I loved what was done in issue # 65 for Mike Parks.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#94 Post by Todd P. »

I hope so too. In addition to being a longtime friend of the magazine's publisher's, I'm betting John was AFM's biggest advertiser.

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#95 Post by Zeiram »

So the new issue is shipping, but...

Apparently the printer screwed up big time and dropped the ball on putting the magazines in envelopes. They're being shipped with mailing labels stuck on them. Terry and David are both livid and taking the printer to task. There is NO plan to drop the envelope, and I think they intend to work with the printer to replace damaged copies that are reported. Just an FYI.

- larry
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

yellowcat
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#96 Post by yellowcat »

I order my copy from my local comic shop. Free shipping and no damage.

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#97 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Zeiram wrote:So the new issue is shipping, but...

Apparently the printer screwed up big time and dropped the ball on putting the magazines in envelopes. They're being shipped with mailing labels stuck on them. Terry and David are both livid and taking the printer to task. There is NO plan to drop the envelope, and I think they intend to work with the printer to replace damaged copies that are reported. Just an FYI.

- larry

Glad that it's not the wave of the future as our postal carriers would find a way to fold a Buick. Actually, I'm surprised it got to me with only a creased cover.

That aside, the issue is really enjoyable and I like the thinking on expanding the coverage. I'm especially intrigued about full size latex/silicone heads and 1/1 figure how to's. I've enjoyed past articles on Mike Hill's and Tom Kuebler's work and have been lucky enough to talk with Jordu Schell when he was part of a show at the museum I work for here in Delaware.

I think back over the last 25 years and do so with such gratitude to Terry and David for creating the premier magazine for the hobby. They have always pushed themselves to go above and beyond and it's an arduous task and I hope they never see it as thankless, because each finished mag shows it's creators' palpable love for the hobby.

Thank you yet again and I'll be subscribing as long as you care to continue. What says everyone else?!
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

Heavy Metal Spike

#98 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Mine turned up in Canada today.
  • • In a white envelope, but battered & bruised on the spine.

• Also looks like a huge paperclip has been pushed over the first 20-pages - double-crimping/creasing them accordingly (possibly a printing press error).

• There was a blank white label on the front cover, but with a bit of care & patience, that came off without leaving a mark (hopefully that's the case for everyone else too).

That's the last issue from my 4-issue subscription, and I won't be renewing. I'm one of those collectors/hobbyists that likes his reference mags in great condition, and I'm just not prepared to accept the damage risk going forward.

I do want to do my bit to help the mag continue though, so from now on, I'm hoping to source via the same place Felix (yellowcat) gets his from.

I've only had time to glance through the mag so far, concentrating on a few pages . . .
  • • The subject matter isn't for me again (don't have a single zombie kit and likely never will), but it looks like there are lots of interesting build details to pore through.

• A lot of VERY talented builders in this issue for sure. I know I'll also enjoy Larry's 4-page "Ant-Man" / 3D printing article.

• It was wonderful to see David's honest, heartfelt, and personal observations on pages 2 & 3 regarding John Tucky, and the full-page "In Memoriam" on page 9.

I'd love to see a larger (multiple-page) article on John - hopefully in the next issue when Terry, David & other contributors have more time to prep. This forum won't be here forever, and it would be great if there was something "tangible" out there that will always remind people of John's HUGE contribution to the hobby. John deserves no less.

Heavy Metal Spike

#99 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Just wanted to give a public shout-out to Felix (yellowcat).

Since he lives local to me, I contacted him via PM to nail-down where to buy from, and he gave me all sorts of interesting info.

I now have an accessible comic store that will be getting THIS issue in next Wednesday.

So only 1½ weeks behind postal delivery PLUS no shipping charges (saves $6-$7 CAD per issue) PLUS (most importantly!) no shipping damage.

Thanks again Felix - you've been really helpful, and have assuaged my concerns going forward :bow: =D> =D> =D> :thumb2:

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#100 Post by Zeiram »

Glad you found an alternative source for your garage kit fix! I'm still waiting for my copy. I know Terry is mad as hell about the situation and will be looking for solutions. I've known Terry a long time, and I don't think I've ever heard him as pissed off as when he told me about that printer snafu.