What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Advice in Selling Comic Books

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

starmanmm
Duke of Dry Brush

Advice in Selling Comic Books

#1 Post by starmanmm »

I'm over 60 and have boxes of comic that I feel is time to go to a good home. Looking for ideas on where/how to unload these comics.

Thanks
Honoring those who improve the species...by
accidentally removing themselves from it! Darwin Awards

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: Advice in Selling Comic Books

#2 Post by Otto69 »

First, consider buying an up to date comic book price guide. Go through your books and see if you have any that are worth a significant amount. If you do, you have the option of selling them via a comic book dealer or trying to sell them directly. Both of which can have pluses and minuses. For some comics that are worth more than just a few bucks, there's the option of paying to have them slabbed and graded, which makes them easier to sell for a good price.

I'd start with a local comic book store to buy the price guide, and explore options as you go.
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#3 Post by tay666 »

Depends on how much work you want to put into it.

I'll explain the method that has worked well for me over the years. It doesn't maximize value, but it does minimize aggravation and hassle.

I sell them on ebay in bulk lots.
I usually use the priority mail medium flat rate box, that way weight isn't an issue.
Figure out how many comfortably fit in the box with some padding, then just make up lots that are roughly that size.
I usually take photos of all the books laid out together so buyers can get an idea of condition.
Then in the listing I say
"Disclaimer. I can't guarantee what condition these comics are in.
Newer stuff (late 80's & 90's) was mostly purchased new and read once. Then bagged and boxed. Older stuff was bought 2nd hand and I wasn't real picky about them. For the most part, I haven't even looked at these since 2000. That is why the starting price is so low. I just want to get rid of these. Look at the photos and ask questions if you have doubts about any of these."

Then I start the auction at 99 cents + shipping.
And let the market decide what they are worth.
If it only gets one bid, I don't really make any money, but I still get rid of the books.
If it ends up with a bidding war, great.

To me, just clearing them out and sending them on to a good home was the goal.
Most dealers don't want boxes of books. They want to cherry pic the good stuff, then leave you to try and get rid of the rest on your own. At best, if you can find a dealer that will take bulk, they will probably give you about 5 cents a book. But that is a big if.
I also don't have time to sit down and figure out what books are hot right now, or what grade my book is. If I know I have some desirable ones, I will spread them out across the lots to help all the lots sell, and get the out of my way.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

starmanmm
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by starmanmm »

Otto69 wrote:First, consider buying an up to date comic book price guide. Go through your books and see if you have any that are worth a significant amount. If you do, you have the option of selling them via a comic book dealer or trying to sell them directly. Both of which can have pluses and minuses. For some comics that are worth more than just a few bucks, there's the option of paying to have them slabbed and graded, which makes them easier to sell for a good price.

I'd start with a local comic book store to buy the price guide, and explore options as you go.
Good advice, I have been out of it for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

starmanmm
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by starmanmm »

tay666 wrote:Depends on how much work you want to put into it.

I'll explain the method that has worked well for me over the years. It doesn't maximize value, but it does minimize aggravation and hassle.

I sell them on ebay in bulk lots.
I usually use the priority mail medium flat rate box, that way weight isn't an issue.
Figure out how many comfortably fit in the box with some padding, then just make up lots that are roughly that size.
I usually take photos of all the books laid out together so buyers can get an idea of condition.
Then in the listing I say
"Disclaimer. I can't guarantee what condition these comics are in.
Newer stuff (late 80's & 90's) was mostly purchased new and read once. Then bagged and boxed. Older stuff was bought 2nd hand and I wasn't real picky about them. For the most part, I haven't even looked at these since 2000. That is why the starting price is so low. I just want to get rid of these. Look at the photos and ask questions if you have doubts about any of these."

Then I start the auction at 99 cents + shipping.
And let the market decide what they are worth.
If it only gets one bid, I don't really make any money, but I still get rid of the books.
If it ends up with a bidding war, great.

To me, just clearing them out and sending them on to a good home was the goal.
Most dealers don't want boxes of books. They want to cherry pic the good stuff, then leave you to try and get rid of the rest on your own. At best, if you can find a dealer that will take bulk, they will probably give you about 5 cents a book. But that is a big if.
I also don't have time to sit down and figure out what books are hot right now, or what grade my book is. If I know I have some desirable ones, I will spread them out across the lots to help all the lots sell, and get the out of my way.
Great information. More or less what I what to do... give them a good home by getting them out of mine! :wink:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by tay666 »

I just realized.
The last time I sold comics, I had to bump up my starting bid. Since ebay now charges a final value fee on the shipping costs too, 99 cents wasn't enough to cover the fees.
Can't remember what they worked out to, but you need to check that. Want your starting price to at least cover your selling fees.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by derekc62 »

In my experience - having sold the bulk of my collection years ago (gold and silver age) - expect no more than 60 per cent of value if dealing with a dealer.

That being said, if you want to sell quickly and with a minimum of effort/time involved, find a reputable dealer in your area and make a deal to buy the entire lot - no cherry picking of the key books leaving you with lesser valued books to sell.

Depending on thew size of your collection some dealers will travel to you to see what you have to sell.

This again is if you're looking for the fastest, easiest way to divest yourself of the collection. If time and effort are not and issue they try e-bay and individual buyers.

finding common ground on grades and values will be the toughest part.
Derek Conlon