What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

amazing figure modeler 'zine

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

Mitchman
Brush Jockey

amazing figure modeler 'zine

#1 Post by Mitchman »

Are all of the amazing figure modeler magazine in digital? Are there any that you can purchase that are paperback? sorry.alittle confused on there subscriptions site.
Also,is the "Revenge of the garage kit book" worth a Looksy? Looks pretty interesting.

monomaster2
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: amazing figure modeler 'zine

#2 Post by monomaster2 »

They are all specifically listed with either digitally or printed magazine availability.
Last edited by monomaster2 on December 9th, 2021, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Tim Casey
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by Tim Casey »

Some are digital, but not all.

lsamuels
Seam Filler

#4 Post by lsamuels »

Mitchman wrote: Also,is the "Revenge of the garage kit book" worth a Looksy? Looks pretty interesting.
The "X of the Garage Kits" books (attack, return, revenge) are mostly reference lists with photos and info about various kits produced. I really only look through them when I'm trying to find out something about an older kit (who made it, etc.). Sometimes the photos are a little poor and grainy. So, they don't do much for me, but your mileage may vary. -) And I'd be interested to hear counter opinions!

For great photos and techniques, I recommend the magazine instead (which in its own way, is a record of the history of garage kits). I'm lucky enough to have a full set (I had to buy a digital copy of #60), and I look through them for ideas, etc.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by derekc62 »

lsamuels wrote:
Mitchman wrote: Also,is the "Revenge of the garage kit book" worth a Looksy? Looks pretty interesting.
The "X of the Garage Kits" books (attack, return, revenge) are mostly reference lists with photos and info about various kits produced. I really only look through them when I'm trying to find out something about an older kit (who made it, etc.). Sometimes the photos are a little poor and grainy. So, they don't do much for me, but your mileage may vary. -) And I'd be interested to hear counter opinions!

For great photos and techniques, I recommend the magazine instead (which in its own way, is a record of the history of garage kits). I'm lucky enough to have a full set (I had to buy a digital copy of #60), and I look through them for ideas, etc.
I enjoyed all three as a history-of-the-hobby reference and I still flip through them from time to time.

There are also some interesting interviews with creators and producers that provide a snap-shot what the hobby was like at the time the books were published.

But I agree, the AFM issues are a tremendous how-to resource.
Derek Conlon

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by tay666 »

FWIW
AFM used to be only a printed magazine.
Last year, they made the switch only a digital magazine. They have started to digitize the back catalog and make them available for download.
That is why you will find some available only in print, only in digital, or not available at all.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths