What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Going all-digital with the model kit magazines

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

DinoMike
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Going all-digital with the model kit magazines

#1 Post by DinoMike »

I confess, I was really skeptical when AFM announced they were going to a digital-only format. I didn't think I'd enjoy the publication as much, and reading the file on my laptop screen seemed to validate my misgivings.

THEN... I got an electronic tablet, and it made all the difference. The "page turn" feature with the swipe of a finger is close enough to the actual "reading a physical magazine" feel that I'm OK with it. Another thing I like is the space savings. I have a number of digital AFM issues, and 35 years worth of FineScale Modeler all on my tablet, ready at hand anytime. Try hauling all that in physical format to the garage when you expect a long wait while they fix your car! :D

I just wish FSM would offer a digital-only subscription in a straightforward PDF file, like AFM does. It's easy for me to make backups in case I get a corrupted memory card or something with PDFs. These oddball proprietary formats like FSM is in, via Zinio or Kindle bug me. You're at the mercy of those companies as far as continued access to issues that you paid for. I don't want to get print copies anymore, that's just more clutter. Also, you can't make backup copies in case you do something dumb like leave your car window open, it rains, and your soggy issue of FSM gets welded into a solid mass by Texas heat the next day. :D (RIP, issue with the build article on the Space:1999 Hawk)

I get that they're worried about digital "theft", people buying an issue and sharing it around the internet, but really... having a print copy & a phone camera is all anyone needs if they want to go that route. I suppose I could do that with physical issues of the magazine, to get them into a digital format that I could save, but... I really don't have the time nor inclination to jump through all those hoops.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: Going all-digital with the model kit magazines

#2 Post by Misellus »

No idea if this will help you or not...I don't have FSM digital file to test, but try Calibre ebook manager

https://calibre-ebook.com/

It can translate a lot of formats into other formats

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Going all-digital with the model kit magazines

#3 Post by DoctorG »

Very happy to hear that you're enjoying the new digital format for AFM....
Dr. G.