What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Books. What are you reading?

Pull up a chair and discuss your favorite books, magazines, comic books, etc.
But not too loud, the Librarian doesn't like noise...

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: Books. What are you reading?

#821 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Third face by Samuel Fuller. Always emitted The Big Red One (restoration is way better).
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#822 Post by derekc62 »

A Mind to Kill by Anthony Horowitz.

This is his third James Bond novel and the only one to be a direct sequel to the Ian Fleming books (Trigger Mortis was based on unpublished Fleming material).

As with the other two Horowitz Bond stories this latest is set in the early/mid-sixties with all the appropriate atmosphere and stable of familiar characters.

Horowitz keeps his Bond firmly rooted in Fleming's universe where his three novels blend seamlessly.

In a Mind to Kill, Bond has recently returned from his mission to Jamaica and his confrontation with Francisco Scaramanga - The Man with the Golden Gun. Having proved himself again as the service's best agent Bond is tasked with returning to the control of the Russian psychiatrist who programmed him to assassinate M. His ultimate mission is to uncover and eliminate the latest threat posed by the Russians and former agents of SMERSH, all the while wondering whether he still has what it takes in the face of younger opponents and a body battered and scarred by years of abuse.

Highly recommended reading for fans of Bond.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#823 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

So while our wee Trevor is out re-living part of HIS (and my) youth (and both our lives!) this evening . . . and is driving back as I type . . . I had THIS turn up a couple of days ago (after me waiting 10 months to order!), which resulted in me re-watching the movie for the umpteenth time.
    • The movie STILL holds up! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: . . . and the book is GREAT! Image Image Image

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

belrog999
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#824 Post by belrog999 »

Mario Bava : All The Colors Of The Dark
belrog

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#825 Post by Misellus »

Be the Serpent by Seanan McGuire (ebook while bored at work), and The Troop by Nick Cutter (audiobook while driving or working around the house)

Be the Serpent is book 16 in the October Daye series. I recently finished a re-listen to the audiobooks for the first 15, alternating with the 14 books of the Wheel of Time series and the first 16 books of the Bob and Nikki's Saucer Repair series. In other words, light reading, heavy reading and something in between.

I'm only 20 minutes into The Troup. It's been a few months since I got it so I don't remember anything about it other than it's horror.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#826 Post by Misellus »

I got on an autobiography kick and listened to the Dio autobiography Rainbow in the Dark, then Windswept and Interesting by Billy Connolly, and currently Confess by Rob Halford.

Dio was interesting, I'm a fan, so I already knew the broad strokes. Neat to see behind the scenes.

I know nothing about Judas Priest/Rob Halford. I liked certain songs but was never a big fan. I'm a bigger fan now in my 50s than I was then in my teens and 20s. Again, interesting to see how things began.

m-
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#827 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Misellus wrote:I got on an autobiography kick and listened to the Dio autobiography Rainbow in the Dark, then Windswept and Interesting by Billy Connolly, and currently Confess by Rob Halford.

Dio was interesting, I'm a fan, so I already knew the broad strokes. Neat to see behind the scenes.

I know nothing about Judas Priest/Rob Halford. I liked certain songs but was never a big fan. I'm a bigger fan now in my 50s than I was then in my teens and 20s. Again, interesting to see how things began.

m-

Liked some of RJD's work, but saw part of his 2022 "Dreamers Never Die" documentary and found him too pretentious to watch past the first 10mins. Plus I've heard things first-hand about his Wife that are none too pleasant, so couldn't cope with her either.

I got hold of "Tall Tales and Wee Stories" at the end of 2019, just after it was released. Although I'm a big fan of Billy, I found it a bit boring. Let me know what you thought of the new one as I may still pick this up (even though I know his history VERY well, and have seen the wee fella live more times than I can count).

The Halford one is apparently somewhat less than honest in places. I don't know specifics but do remember social media churning between the Halford/Tipton/Andrews vs. KK camps. The way KK was treated was disgraceful. Not a book I'm ever likely to pick up, but then I didn't get KK's either :oops: What was your take on the accuracy?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#828 Post by Misellus »

No idea at all about accuracy of any of them, even Dio who I knew the most about before the book. No idea if anything I say here is reality or a combination of Halford shifting blame, and/or me not remembering what he said correctly.

Halford mostly glossed over the other members of the band. They were there, they were friends and he loved being in a band with them. But this was his story, not the band's so he didn't get into certain things. The book could have been called Growing Up Gay in Heavy Metal and been an accurate title (his attempts at a sex life is major theme)

Per Halford, getting a second guitarist was a label decision, not a band decision. 5 member bands were the thing. They could hire a keyboard player, or another guitarist, they felt the guitarist fit the sound better. He stated the 2 guitarists never got along and didn't elaborate. I took this as "not my story to tell" but if you're feeling less than charitable it could have also been "I didn't care."

KK left the band when Halford (and then others) stated they were over 60, tired of touring, and would retire at the end of the tour (spoiler, they didn't and KK wasn't invited back since he quit the band mid tour and left them scrambling). Again, no idea if this is true or Halford putting the blame on KK for overreacting to something that started as a flippant remark Halford made while exhausted after a show. Maybe I should find KK's book and see his side.

Later, some of KK's royalty money was (accidently, according to Halford) paid to Halford and someone else (can't remember). RH claim he immediately worked to fix the mistake but KK believed it was deliberate and RH was cheating him. I've no idea who is correct.

The other big blowup was when he quit the band. This was the point I felt he was definitely leaving things out (or just lying). According to him, the label required him to officially quit JP in order to do his solo project. The plan was to simply rejoin as soon as the record was done. He told the others he was doing a solo project, said they all gave their blessings, but he never told them he was quitting but would be back (they were on a break anyway which was why he was doing the project at that time). He quits the band, the band says okay, we'll get a replacement, Halford goes huh? you don't want me? *sad pikachu face*

Rather than calling and trying to clear things up he decides to just roll with it and spends 10 years not talking to his friends. I found this to be the least reasonable and realistic part. 10 years later it was hey guys, I miss you I want to rejoin. Sorry I never told you the whole quiting thing was a misunderstanding. And they say okay.

Re: Dio
I also felt his wife was a piece of work. Around the time Dio left Sabbath, Wendy became friends with Sharon Osbourne and definitely based her managment style on Sharon's (awful person but successful)

Re: Billy
I knew BC from Head of the Class, plus watching a few comedy specials over the years. In other words, not much about him. I never knew he started as a folk singer who told stories and eventually stopped the music part of the act. I enjoyed listening to him talk, but in the end thought he was a bit of a knob. At one point (mid/late 70s IIRC) he was asked during an interview what he thought of George Carlin. "Never heard of him." Bet you never head of Simon and Garfunkle either.

m-
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#829 Post by Buc Wheat »

Been awhile since I picked up a book! But Amazon was nice enuff to alert
me to another Steven Brust novel in the Vlad Taltos series!!

Tsalmoth (Vlad, 16) Was nice returning to that world, esp since this story
takes place early in his life (was great cuz I loved this time!!)

DEADMAN
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#830 Post by DEADMAN »

re reading Blood meridian by Cormac Mccarthy and Jos Hudson's painting military figures book as well
Eric Tengren