What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

How long have you been going to Chiller.

All Things CHILLER!

Moderator: Moderators

scottaltimages
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

How long

#21 Post by scottaltimages »

My first table was at a movie theater? I had a table right by the stage .
We've been there every show since! Would'nt miss it ! It's like a holiday that comes twice a year!
Scott/ Altimages !
The Power of Resin compels you!
http://WWW.ALTERNATIVEIMAGES1.COM

Dave ESPI
Finger Painter

#22 Post by Dave ESPI »

1995 Oct was my first time going. I went with some friends in the hobby, and it was "OK". IT POURED RAIN! Had more fun in NYC for hallowen.

Came back in 1996 April, as a resin kit guy. Went with Alternative Images and Dan Fay's crew and I had a blast. It was the year that Rob Zombie just happened to "show up" and was cool hanging with him in the hotel bar playing pool. October It was good.

1997 I was premier with my company as a stand alone.
Was good, did both oct and april. Really a super good kit show. Perhaps the best I can remember. A LOT of really nice kits came out this year for a bunch of different companies.

"Crack-head Bob" from the Howard Stern Show was there also. He was hilarious.

1998 went to April and Oct Chiller as a Vendor.

1999 Just did the April show as a vendor.

2001 Went to October as a Vendor. Was a good model contest that year. I took a first place with my Deaths'Head build up and a Honorable Mention for Phill Lister (He painted my Beach Blanket Beastie)

2001 Did my last "vendor" appearance at the April show. Was a big wash-out show. It was NOT a model-fan show clientelle. A lot of films and bootleggers and general "junk" dealers and the usual "skin" peddlers. Big problems with the new hotel, and they were real asses. Firemarshal was there and he really restricted the flow of people into the show and dealers room. Airconditioning also broke and it was hot hot hot !
A lot of us resin companies went home "broke" or close to it as sales really hurt.

2005 Went down and hung out in October. Kevin was cool(as always) and hooked me up with a dealers badge so I could have free movement around the place (last time they ever did it at the hotel with the party in the lobby and the tent outside). Had a crazy evening and John Diaz and myself and a few other people almost dragged this video vendor out and curb stompted him for being a jackass........ Was hilarious... good times, but that was the last I was at chiller.

Am looking forward to perhaps the April Show in 2009 as I do not think I will have time to come down in Oct of 08.
Back from the dead, resin pickled my head.

Alan1
Glue Sniffer

#23 Post by Alan1 »

Hey Guys,
I have been going to Chiller since the early 90's. I think the best time I had was when they held it at the Farleigh Dickinson convention center. To this day, i still feel that a convention center is were a show like that belongs. Why they continue to hold it at Hotels is beyond me(other than it probably is cheaper). The shows are sloppily put together, its impossible to move around, there still is no room to move, guests are all over the place, etc....
i do fell however that the Parsippany setup is a bit better because the show is all on one floor, not in a tent, on the first floor, the lobby, etc.. as it has been in the past.
dont get me wrong, I love Chiller, i wouldnt miss it. I seriously got into modeling and probably my business "digital Realm Models" was seeded in my mind because of all you guys out there especially the ones who hung in ther like Scott and Alternative Images, Terry Webb, Sassy's Sattelite, etc... over the years. Thats why I started selling at shows. Although, none of us will ever forget the heyday of Chiller in the mid 90's. Chiller is what it is and it IS what we make of it now. Yeah, its getting better. so come out and support it.

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#24 Post by plyometrics »

10 years I think.

Robert T.

Phil109
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#25 Post by Phil109 »

I've been going since '96. I drove with my buddy Tom Parker and a buddy of his from Canada. I went until I moved south from 2002-2007.
I started again with the Fall '07 show. I think a few years after that, things started to slip. Now...oh boy! The kit dealers just don't bother much.

Phil L

sirbacardi
Seam Filler

#26 Post by sirbacardi »

My first show was Oct. '91 at the Rothman Center. A 'couple of years later I was staffing the Art portion of the Model contest. Now every October I'm with the rest of the"Hole in the Wall" gang, manning the model contest.

Chiiiiilllllllerrrrr...
Dave W.,
A.K.A. Dr. Pretorius at the Hobbytalk forum,
A.K.A. Ale Knight at Cool Mini or Not,
Chiller Theatre Model and Art Contest staff

Models are cool!

LFSPaul
Member Non-Grata
Member Non-Grata
Seam Filler

#27 Post by LFSPaul »

Yep I was there at the first Rothman shows in 90-91, somewhere around there. It was small and you could sell just about anything as long as it resembled the character.

Saw the first Wonderfest shows and Mad Model Parties in CA, those were the days.

I later made the Chiller T-shirts for about five or six years and all of the Mad Model Party T-shirts. Anyone remember those Garage Kit that ate my Wallet T-shirts I made for Terry Web? Now that's going back a few years. :)

Paul

modelpainter416
Jack of all Trades

#28 Post by modelpainter416 »

LFSPaul wrote: Anyone remember those Garage Kit that ate my Wallet T-shirts I made for Terry Web? Now that's going back a few years. :)

Paul
I wore mine 'til it literally fell apart! :lol: Marc

LFSPaul
Member Non-Grata
Member Non-Grata
Seam Filler

#29 Post by LFSPaul »

There your go Mark, I always liked that shirt, but the Chiller shirts were my favorite.

I've got a mint GKTAMW around here somewhere, it was a lot of fun.

Paul

hedorah59
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#30 Post by hedorah59 »

LFSPaul wrote:I later made the Chiller T-shirts for about five or six years and all of the Mad Model Party T-shirts. Anyone remember those Garage Kit that ate my Wallet T-shirts I made for Terry Web? Now that's going back a few years. :)

Paul
Did you also do the Mad Model Party shirts? I still have mine from the first two MMP shows. Great stuff!
Kirk

Self proclaimed King of the 'Nice work' comment...

LFSPaul
Member Non-Grata
Member Non-Grata
Seam Filler

#31 Post by LFSPaul »

Yeah I did the MMP shirts but the artwork was generated by Sideshow at the time. With the Chiller shirts they were all my design and Kevin and I would discuss the characters he wanted to see on the shirts. Each year we tried to make them more involved.

Paul

DicemanCreations
Master of Masking

Re: How long have you been going to Chiller.

#32 Post by DicemanCreations »

Funny how people's memories works. The 1st Chiller show (Horrorthon) was in 1990 at the Williams Center here in Beautiful Rutherford, NJ roughly 2 blocks from my house. Had 4 guests and a slanted floor with terrible drop lights. It was a blast!! Terry was there but that was about 3-4 years before AFM came to be. It was the "The Garage" era (remember that pamphlet?) And Rutherford was the original home of the Chiller Theatre store on Park Ave. Before it was Chiller Theatre it was a Music store owned by Kevin.

Both 1991 shows were held at Fairly Ridiculious and were also the last of the Horrorthan shows.

1992 brought the show to the Rothman Center in Hackensack and was the 1st Chiller Theatre show.

1993 brought the show to Secaucus at the Crowne Plaza and the rest is History.

ManthingVT
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#33 Post by ManthingVT »

Hey Ed, good info to know! So the April 93 was the last at the Rothman Center (I actually have my original ticket with that info) with the October 93 show being the first at the hotel right? I almost went to the Oct. 92 show, but found out about it too late and I hadn't gotten so committed to the hobby yet. Didn't it go back to the Rothman Center for one more show? I remember going there a second time when the contest was moved from the rear of the hall to the front, near the entrance. The only reason I know the May 93 was at Rothman (it's part of FD) is it that it was my first show and it was after the 1992 elections- I didn't go to any show before then. I'll need to check my photo albums and see which one it was that I'm thinking of...

MVT

Paulbo

#34 Post by Paulbo »

Does zero count in the topic?

I am correcting that sad number this year - already have my room booked.

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

#35 Post by ignatz »

I remember Chiller 93. That was my first Chiller, and what a freakin' glorious show it was!
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

Headless Hearseman
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#36 Post by Headless Hearseman »

May or October 1992, and I did not miss any shows until a handful that had conflicting dates since 2006.

Ed, I was to 3 shows in the college gym before it moved to the Hilton. Would that make it May '92?
Headless Fritz
Kits, Nameplates, Monstrology Models:
http://HeadlessHearseman.com
http://Resintopia.com

jasonjaconetti
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#37 Post by jasonjaconetti »

Been going to Chiller since October 2002. I know, not as long as some people, but it happens.
Jerseyfest Aug. 28th - 30th, 2015
http://www.jerseyfestfair.com

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#38 Post by RESINCRYPT »

The only one I missed was the first show at the movie theater. I wish I was at the one. Lot's of fond memories from the shows I've attended and many friends made over the years. This years show looks like it will be blast. Best, Vin 8)
Last edited by RESINCRYPT on September 14th, 2010, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graf orlok
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#39 Post by graf orlok »

My first show was in april 1995, and I came totally unprepared for the madness that awaited me. We'd read about the show in "Revenge of the Garage Kit that ate my Wallet"-book as well in Kitbuilders Magazine. We didn't have a table at the show, but Shawn at Death Inc had sort of invited us, so we stayed at his table. He was next to PuffNstuff's table and we made really good friends with Joe and Lois. We hooked up with Terry Webb, who didn't have a table that year, but took us in and made us feel really welcome, met William Paquet at John Wangs table, Lois De La Fuente, Paul Komoda, and the list of people we've only read about just kept going on and on... Coming from a place where this hobby were non-existent this was pure heaven. Everybody told us to come back for the Halloween show, promising an even more intense show.
...and they were right!
I kept going to the shows up until 2001 when I realized there were not many dealers left, the days when people were carrying towers of stacked kit boxes were gone, the hay days were over. I had already decided to go another route with my artistry, so I sadly stopped going to any of the shows. Not much point in going if I couldn't make some of the cost of traveling back.
Staffan
VFX Sup & Anim Sup - http://www.fido.se
Sculptor & Painter - http://www.SwedeCreations.com
====

-My paint-ups at the Clubhouse-

dinofan62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#40 Post by dinofan62 »

I am just a newbie compared to the posters here. My first Chiller was in the fall of 2006 and I haven't missed one since. Loads of fun there. I hear from my fellow local hobbyists (Tom and Saul) that it was a sea of resin at the beginning and in the 90's. It has morphed into a more celebrity oriented place with less emphasis on kits and resin. However there are still great dealers there and I have picked up a few prepaints and kits that I would have never seen. Still a great time there and the fall model contest is not to be missed.

Jeff