What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Galileo Shuttle 2022 1:32 Scale

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

Re: Galileo Shuttle 2022 1:32 Scale

#41 Post by Trekkriffic »

Thanks Mister Spike. Appreciate the compliments. Here's another update...

Upper and lower door panels mate together well, especially when I get the interior glued in place and can glue the front of each side of the hull to the bottom. that will tighten up some minor gaps:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 094 by Steve J, on Flickr

The main control console awash in Solvaset. This took about 4 treatments with gentle tamping after a few hours using a cotton swab and microbrushes then repeating until I finally got the decals to lay down. This last soaking should do it though... I think:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 90 by Steve J, on Flickr

Port and starboard Winglets swapped and re-glued to hull sides with Testors red tube glue and gap filling CA. Nacelles no longer toe inward but face straight forward:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 097 by Steve J, on Flickr

After swapping and re-attaching the winglets I used Vallejo acrylic putty for smaller gaps and AVES Apoxy Sculpt to fill larger ones:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 100 by Steve J, on Flickr

Special attention is paid to the juncture of the winglet trailing edges and the stern of the fuselage. Lots of filing and sanding makes for a smooth transition:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 099 by Steve J, on Flickr

Starboard cabin wall was glued to floor. Decided to take some pics of the crew in their seats while the epoxy cured and the port wall was not in the way of my camera lens. The figures are not glued into the seats at this stage as I still need to give their uniforms a matte coat. They also still need their badge and sleeve braid decals:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 101 by Steve J, on Flickr

Seats were glued in with 5 minute epoxy. Figures were temporarily positioned in the seats while the glue dried so I could be sure their feet would touch the floor. The seats all rotate so I can pose the crew members in various directions. Funny, in this one, four of the crew members appear to be looking in Mister Boma's general direction probably having an argument. Yeoman Mears appears to be interested more in what McCoy is up to as she is looking almost directly at him. McCoy is looking sidelong to his right roughly in Mears's direction as if to say "Can you believe this..."

The Galileo 7 - WIP 102 by Steve J, on Flickr

Cabin assembled. I'll need to finish the crew and place them in their seats before attaching the roof:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 104 by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up... installation of the cabin into the hull...

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#42 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Again - amazing attention to detail, combined with premier league workmanship.

Every time I see those figures in a new photo, I am floored by how accurately they represent the actors in the episode. A combination of the original sculpts plus your expert re-sculpting & modifications has created a result that (IMO) could not possibly be bettered.

You, Sir, are VERY talented, and I truly appreciate the time you take to share here for us :thumb2:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#43 Post by tay666 »

First of all, everything Spike said.

While being stunned by all the amazing eye candy in this post, I could not help but notice and dwell on this.
Trekkriffic wrote: After swapping and re-attaching the winglets I used Vallejo acrylic putty for smaller gaps
How have I never heard of this substance before?

I am now off to do some research on this.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#44 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Can't wait to see how this turns out ... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#45 Post by Trekkriffic »

tay666 wrote:
Trekkriffic wrote: After swapping and re-attaching the winglets I used Vallejo acrylic putty for smaller gaps

Here’s a link to the putty on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ70401- ... 8096211937

I prefer it over Perfect Plastic Putty now, mostly because it doesn’t dissolve when I try wet sanding it Ike PPP does.
It even works for other applications, such as filling a fine crack outside along the top of my center bay window frame that was allowing rainwater to seep thru onto the floor of my dining room. I’ve had no more leaks during all the atmospheric rivers we’ve been having since then here in Northern CA. Amazing stuff that does the trick when you don’t have anything else available in an emergency,

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#46 Post by Trekkriffic »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

Again - amazing attention to detail, combined with premier league workmanship.

Every time I see those figures in a new photo, I am floored by how accurately they represent the actors in the episode. A combination of the original sculpts plus your expert re-sculpting & modifications has created a result that (IMO) could not possibly be bettered.

You, Sir, are VERY talented, and I truly appreciate the time you take to share here for us :thumb2:

You honor me with your comments sir. Thanks again!

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#47 Post by Trekkriffic »

bucketfoot-al wrote:Can't wait to see how this turns out ... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks! I can’t wait either. Here’s a video showing the cabin after installation into the outer hull which was not an easy feat to accomplish. I also lament all the extra work I made for myself when I glued the winglets on backwards… :oops:

The Galileo 7 - Video WIP 109 by Steve J, on Flickr

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#48 Post by tay666 »

Trekkriffic wrote:
tay666 wrote:

Here’s a link to the putty on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ70401- ... 8096211937

I prefer it over Perfect Plastic Putty now, mostly because it doesn’t dissolve when I try wet sanding it Ike PPP does.
It even works for other applications, such as filling a fine crack outside along the top of my center bay window frame that was allowing rainwater to seep thru onto the floor of my dining room. I’ve had no more leaks during all the atmospheric rivers we’ve been having since then here in Northern CA. Amazing stuff that does the trick when you don’t have anything else available in an emergency,
Thanks for the link, but I already ordered the smaller dropper bottle of the stuff last night. After watching a few videos and deciding I really need to try it myself.
I couldn't find the larger tube of it that was fulfilled by Amazon. And I needed something small to add to other items to get me over the $25 minimum to get free shipping.
If I like it, I plan on getting the tube as well. I always have small thin lines that need filled, and aves is not the answer for those.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#49 Post by barad_dur »

You really bring your kits to life! The resulting realism of your work is amazing.

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#50 Post by Trekkriffic »

barad_dur wrote:You really bring your kits to life! The resulting realism of your work is amazing.
Thanks! I really like how the crew turned out for sure. They will really add to the realism once I glue them into their seats.

Next update...

Cabin ready for insertion inside hull. A test fit will be needed after my thickening of the forward wall:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 105 by Steve J, on Flickr

Stern impulse engine unit is made up of three sections.
I test fit within the stern of the shuttle so I knew they would fit together when in place.
The sections were then glued together and allowed to dry before removing them.
The impulse engine ports and cowling were painted with Krlyon satin black acrylic lacquer and were masked beforehand.
I will install this subassembly into the fuselage after the cabin is installed:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 108 by Steve J, on Flickr

Clear astrogator disc got its decal and the flight console is glued in place in the front of the cabin:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 110 by Steve J, on Flickr

After some tricky maneuvering, I finished installing the passenger cabin into the outer fuselage using Testors tube/brush glue and slow cure CA:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 111 by Steve J, on Flickr

Aft compartment rear wall tanks are snapped into place - no need for glue:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 112 by Steve J, on Flickr

Forward wall is glued to the bow of the upper hull.
Some mods were needed to give enough clearance for the cabin to fit inside the outer hull:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 113 by Steve J, on Flickr

Some minor filing and sanding got the doors to fit snuggly into the hull opening.
Later I filled in some small gaps using the Vaseline and AVES method.
I am hoping this is the end of the tweaking process but who knows:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 114 by Steve J, on Flickr

The Galileo after the final priming coat:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 115 by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up... masking and airbrushing of final coats followed by gloss coats before decaling.

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#51 Post by Trekkriffic »

Time to get caught up ...

Nacelles attached with Testors red tube glue and slow cure CA. Windows still masked:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 126 by Steve J, on Flickr

Woodland Scenics sticky tack glue was carefully brushed onto the upper inside lip of the door frame so as not to make a mess on the outer hull. This is enough to hold the upper door piece in place once the lower door piece is up:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 127 by Steve J, on Flickr

Door top piece held in with sticky tac glue. Bottom panel overlaps to hold bottom of upper "split" panel:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 128 by Steve J, on Flickr

Vanity shot:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 129 by Steve J, on Flickr

Impulse engine exhaust manifold unmasked:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 130 by Steve J, on Flickr

Rear Landing Strut was brush painted with Humbrol brass enamel, which is a challenging paint to work with using a brush. I finally gave up trying to get a brushless coat on the bottom of the pad without using a ton of goopy brass enamel so I decided to airbrush the final coat. First though I brushed a fresh coat of insignia red on the bottom of the pad and let it dry overnight:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 131 by Steve J, on Flickr

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#52 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Ya know . . . these threads of yours are like a "Dr. Seuss" book for modellers . . .
    • I see it now . . . One paint, Two paint, Red paint, Brass paint . . .
Great photos & info as always Steve :thumb2:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#53 Post by barad_dur »

The model club tv guys should absolutely do a show featuring you and your work Trekriffic!

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#54 Post by Trekkriffic »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Ya know . . . these threads of yours are like a "Dr. Seuss" book for modellers . . .
    • I see it now . . . One paint, Two paint, Red paint, Brass paint . . .
Great photos & info as always Steve :thumb2:

Thanks! I try. :)

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#55 Post by Trekkriffic »

barad_dur wrote:The model club tv guys should absolutely do a show featuring you and your work Trekriffic!
:like

Thanks for the compliment mister dark tower man! Interesting idea for a tv show...
Hmmm,,,If the idea was to impress the viewers with my modeling, I'd have to make sure the tv guys didn't show all the mistakes I made while building this one. :oops:
Then again, if the idea was to help educate the audience, then, how to overcome one's errors would be a good thing to show I guess. :lol:

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#56 Post by Trekkriffic »

Starting the decal process...

Strips of Tamiya tape will aid in the positioning of each decal to match the pictures on the sides of the kit box:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 133 by Steve J, on Flickr

I like a lot of water on these larger decals. I trapped little or no bubbles under the decals so no major worries about silvering:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 132 by Steve J, on Flickr

Now that the big shuttle registry decal is on, tamped down and partly dry, I can use it to help me position the red stripe:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 134 by Steve J, on Flickr

All decals are on. I'll wait a day to spray with a clear gloss sealing coat:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 135 by Steve J, on Flickr

I finished foiling the rear landing strut using a new sheet of this chrome "mirror" foil.
It's got adhesive backing but I still laid it on over a layer of metal foil adhesive so it stays put.
I then gave the strut a shot of Dullcote:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 136 by Steve J, on Flickr

Bussards and endcaps were glued to the nacelles:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 137 by Steve J, on Flickr

Decals were added to the stern.
I like how my flash makes the impulse engine vents light up:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 138 by Steve J, on Flickr

I found a way to slide the roof on without scratching the sides at the rear.
You use your left hand to spread the sides of the aft end of the hull just a little wider, I used my thumb and forefinger.
You only need maybe a half millimeter or less to get enough clearance to slide the roof on with your right hand without scratching the paint:

The Galileo 7 - WIP 139 by Steve J, on Flickr

Still need to re-attach the front landing pads to the nacelles and attach the rear strut.
First, I'm going to see if i can substitute metal tubing for the easily bent plastic shafts the front pads attach to.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#57 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Masterful! Love the detailed "how-to"! :like
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#58 Post by barad_dur »

Looking fantastic - as usual with your work !!

I forget if I already asked you this, but do you ever take your kits to wonderfest ?

It would be great to see your kits in person.

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#59 Post by Trekkriffic »

barad_dur wrote:Looking fantastic - as usual with your work !!

I forget if I already asked you this, but do you ever take your kits to wonderfest ?

It would be great to see your kits in person.
I have not attended Wonderfest. Hope to get there someday though.

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

#60 Post by Trekkriffic »

bucketfoot-al wrote:Masterful! Love the detailed "how-to"! :like
Thank you and you're welcome!

:like