What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Acknowledging the greatness of Monsterpalooza

Monsterpalooza info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Acknowledging the greatness of Monsterpalooza

#1 Post by sktch4fn »

Hi fellow modelers!

As many of you know I love this hobby as much as the next guy, but have little time to work on our models and going to shows. Wonderfest is The Show to be if you love modeling, but many of us are unable to go because it is either too far from where you live or we just can't afford it.

I've been to a lot of big Horror shows like Halloween Party Expo in Texas and Transworld in St Louis, and the thing is that Monsterspalooza is one of the best shows out there and it is a great way to meet the great people of this hobby like Jeff Camp, Rick Cantu, Terry Webb, Mike Hill, John Allred, Steve Wang, Takeya, Jim Lawrence, Gabriel Garcia to name a few.

Mike Hill Life Size Frankenstein

But you get to see a lot of the companies that we love such as Whitworht Models, Blackheart, Casey Love designs, Creature features and many others.

Not only that but you can be part of AFM's Monster Making Model Contest where you can see a lot of great models painted by people like you and me who are passionate about this hobby, but you get to meet all those great people and get tips through just asking them or participating in the Blackheart Badger painting class to learn from the best and have a lot of fun.

BlackHeart's new Bride of Frankenstein bust By Jeff Yagher

This year's contest was great but we need more people and more models to make it even better. So next year make it part of your schedule to attend this amazing show. Bring your models and make the organizers realize that we need to be in a bigger room because the amount people participating in the contest has doubled. That way we will guarantee that more model kit companies will come over, meet great people and make sure the hobby stay alive and strong for many years to come.

Cheers

Check out these great photos of the show

https://www.facebook.com/stan.wong/medi ... 903&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/eric.tengren/m ... 538&type=1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bandwfrog ... 248436053/

Newedenite
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Acknowledging the greatness of Monsterpalooza

#2 Post by Newedenite »

Monsterpalooza was a blast and it was a pleasure to meet you Edison. Unfortunately I only got to go Friday, but next year I plan to go all 3 days and hopefully have some kits painted for entries for the model contest. It was great to also meet some others from the Clubhouse and make some new friends. Til next year.

Ozzy

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by sktch4fn »

Newedenite wrote:Monsterpalooza was a blast and it was a pleasure to meet you Edison. Unfortunately I only got to go Friday, but next year I plan to go all 3 days and hopefully have some kits painted for entries for the model contest. It was great to also meet some others from the Clubhouse and make some new friends. Til next year.

Ozzy

Hey Ozzy!

It was great to meet you too. Although I was working quite a lot at my booth, I did all I could to talk to people from the hobby. Got to chat for a few minutes to Scott Whitworth, Terry Webb, John Allread and John Ulakovic, former Janus owner.

I say that if you can only make it one day, make it on Saturday for it is by far the best day and you get to see the model contest.

Thanks again Ozzy and I will be contacting you soon

Edison

hedorah59
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by hedorah59 »

Edison - What booth were you working? I was there Friday and Saturday and had a blast! I didn't enter anything this year because I didn't know whether I could stay on Saturday.
Kirk

Self proclaimed King of the 'Nice work' comment...

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by sktch4fn »

hedorah59 wrote:Edison - What booth were you working? I was there Friday and Saturday and had a blast! I didn't enter anything this year because I didn't know whether I could stay on Saturday.
That was too bad... We needed more people for the Model contest but I was in one of the rooms, just by where AFM and Terry were set up. Same room as Annex Labs and Anthony Watkins Sculptures were. We were the guys selling the horror phone covers

Python
Seam Filler

#6 Post by Python »

I'm a regular Monsterpalooza attendee and would love to enter something in the model contest. The problem is transporting a kit to Burbank. I fly down from San Francisco and wouldn't trust sending a built up kit to arrive safely.

I was disappointed with the number of entries this year. The quality was there, but there weren't many kits. I think last year had more than this year.

It is a great show and it keeps getting better. The only problem is the crowds. Friday was crowded, Saturday you could barely move inside the main hall and Sunday was somewhere in between.

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by sktch4fn »

Python wrote:I'm a regular Monsterpalooza attendee and would love to enter something in the model contest. The problem is transporting a kit to Burbank. I fly down from San Francisco and wouldn't trust sending a built up kit to arrive safely.

I was disappointed with the number of entries this year. The quality was there, but there weren't many kits. I think last year had more than this year.

It is a great show and it keeps getting better. The only problem is the crowds. Friday was crowded, Saturday you could barely move inside the main hall and Sunday was somewhere in between.
I drove from AZ and I put my kits in a big box with towels around it as well as bubble wrap to avoid moving around. I never had a problem and I always bring some extra glue and paint just in case. You should try next year. It's worth it....

Yes, Saturday is crazy but if you are there for the 3 days, show up early on Friday and early in the morning to drop off your models in the contest and come back later int he afternoon when it is not as bad.

I hope to see your models next year, Python.....

Cheers

E.

Python
Seam Filler

#8 Post by Python »

If I were driving, most definitely. I always fly since I am a TERRIBLE long distance driver. What I may do is see if one of my friends in the area can take something down with them.

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#9 Post by sktch4fn »

Python wrote:If I were driving, most definitely. I always fly since I am a TERRIBLE long distance driver. What I may do is see if one of my friends in the area can take something down with them.
That is a good idea....... I'm looking forward to seeing your models next year.....

Cheers

dcole
Master of Masking

#10 Post by dcole »

I also drive with my kits wrapped in big towels and bubble wrap. And, the smaller kits (like the Sheer Terror bust I entered this year) are all-around easier to deal with - both transporting and just carrying down to the modeling room on the morning of the competition.

I would think that a smaller bust would travel well via airplane. :D
Debi

Reliving my childhood, one bit of painted plastic at a time.

hedorah59
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by hedorah59 »

Thats funny, Edison - I am sure I said hi to you but didn't know you were you! :lol:
I hung out with Anthony and Norm for awhile on Friday and Saturday, so I was in that
room quite a bit.

I drive down from San Jose, but this year (My second Monsterpalooza) as I said I didn't
know if I would be around for the show so I didn't bring anything :(

It was great seeing you, Debi, as briefly as it was! I REALLY liked your Zombie, I think
you did an amazing job on it. I also love those Sheer Terror Busts, and it was great to
see them well represented at the show.
Kirk

Self proclaimed King of the 'Nice work' comment...

sktch4fn
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#12 Post by sktch4fn »

Hi Kirk!

Sorry if I didn't talk to you much. Like I said i was overwhelmed at the booth and had so little time to do anything.

Thank you for the compliments about my Zombie. I ended up getting second best of the show with my Funny Frankie bust by Pinkerton and i was really happy about it.

Let's make an effort to have more models at the show next year. All we need is planning and hopefully we will make next year's contest the best one yet....

Cheers

dcole
Master of Masking

#13 Post by dcole »

hedorah59 wrote:I drive down from San Jose, but this year (My second Monsterpalooza) as I said I didn't
know if I would be around for the show so I didn't bring anything :(

It was great seeing you, Debi, as briefly as it was! I REALLY liked your Zombie, I think
you did an amazing job on it. I also love those Sheer Terror Busts, and it was great to
see them well represented at the show.
Great seeing you too, Kirk! I hope that next year you can get down early for the painting class AND bring some of your kits for the modeling contest on Saturday. Would love to see your work!

Yeah, I have two more Sheer Terrors now - the Blind Dead and Freudstein. Both look awesome just sitting on the shelf next to Mr. Plaid Shirt Zombie. :D The only issue is - which to paint first? :wink:
Debi

mjbare
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#14 Post by mjbare »

Hey Gang, Michael here. Didn't have the funds to attend the airbrush clinic this year but did the past two. My Scarecrow of Romney Marsh won 1st in Fantasy this year. I was really surprised to see the smaller amount of entries too. As Monsterpalooza approaches next year what we should do is really promote the AFM contest here and at any other boards we're members of.

If any one else thinks of other ways to promote the contest, let's share it and have a real successful one in 2015.
--------
"Tish! You spoke French! You know what that does to me!!!" Gomez Addams

KITS WANTED: Terry Reynold's The Purple Monster Strikes. Marvin the Paranoid Robot UK kit

dcole
Master of Masking

#15 Post by dcole »

mjbare wrote:Hey Gang, Michael here. Didn't have the funds to attend the airbrush clinic this year but did the past two. My Scarecrow of Romney Marsh won 1st in Fantasy this year. I was really surprised to see the smaller amount of entries too. As Monsterpalooza approaches next year what we should do is really promote the AFM contest here and at any other boards we're members of.

If any one else thinks of other ways to promote the contest, let's share it and have a real successful one in 2015.
Hey Mike!

How ya' doing? It was good to see you again this year. I remember your scarecrow - loved it! :D

Like everyone else, it seemed to me that the numbers were down this year. Maybe everyone was just plain busy and didn't get many kits done last year? I know that for myself, 2013 was really crazy so I did next to no painting. The piece I did enter I finished in record time (for me) - less than six weeks, lol!!

I would love it if they ran a second modeling contest in October, during the Son of Monsterpalooza. That would surely motivate me to spend more time at the workbench! :lol:
Debi

mjbare
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#16 Post by mjbare »

Hey Debi,

Great to see you again too. I drive up from The OC and pack or surround my kits when I take them to contests too. One airplane modeler I know makes these braces for the various parts of the plane. I keep forgetting to ask him on helping me to build one for figures.

Didn't make the last one so I hope to make this year's October version. Look at the three airbrush sessions they're going to have at Wonderfest and the two at Jerseyfest. Looks like others have taken George's idea and copied it.

Keep in touch! Michael
--------
"Tish! You spoke French! You know what that does to me!!!" Gomez Addams

KITS WANTED: Terry Reynold's The Purple Monster Strikes. Marvin the Paranoid Robot UK kit