What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Jim Groman coming to Resintopia 3!

Resintopia info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

Jim Groman coming to Resintopia 3!

#1 Post by RESINCRYPT »

Resintopia is extremely fortunate and excited to announce Jim Groman as one our special guests at this years show. Jim Groman will be doing a presentation on his career and Charcter Design. It would include a quick recap with photos of some of the stuff I have worked on, including my mainstream toy work as well as my resin, plastic, vinyl model kits. May even show some photos of my time with Richard Taylor and the folks at Weta. But would finish up with how I might "redesign" or "reimagine" a classic monster in a way that has never been done.

After graduating with a BFA degree from Cleveland Institute of Art in 1986, James Groman was hired by American Greetings Entertainment and Toy Concept Division: ‘Those Characters from Cleveland’,where he worked on the development of brands like Care Bears, Popples, Madballs, Blurp Balls, Barnyard Commandoes, My Pet Monster, and Ring Raiders. At this time he also entered the garage kit arena sculpting and producing his kits of Ray Harryhausen's Jupiterian, Conglomeron: The Patchwork Horror, and his best selling: Beach Blanket Beastie.

After TCFC, James established his own freelance studio providing design, sculpting and prototyping on products based on Star Wars, Harry Potter, Stretch Armstrong, Godzilla, Universal Monsters, G.I. Joe,Jonny Quest, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and various Marvel and DC comics characters for companies like Kenner/Hasbro, Cap Toys, Galoob, Ertl Collectables, Playing Mantis, and Polar Lights to name just a few.

Putting his own kits on hold for a while, James sculpted the patterns for 2 Star Wars vinyl kits ( The Rancor Monster and Luke Skywalker on TaunTaun) for Ertl Collectables, Universals The Mummy and Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow styrene kits for Polar Lights/Playing Mantis. Career highlights were also creating the sculptures of the Creature from the Black Lagoon for Geometric Design and a unproduced 1998 Godzilla kit for Polar Lights, as well as a huge, 18 inch 1954 Godzilla for PL and Toys R Us.

Before coming back to American Greetings in 2005, James worked for 4 years at Hasbro Toys Playskool group on their Go Bots/Transformers, Major Powers and Cool Crew brands. While working on the Star Wars Jedi Force toys James had the opportunity to travel to San Francisco and work with the folks at Lucasfilm on the development and design of the line.

Now back at American Greetings Properties, James works on brands like Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake and Madballs as well as new ventures like Sushi Pack and Tinpo for CBS, Twisted Whiskers, Maryoku Yummy for The Hub Network, Packages from Planet X for Disney XD.

Most recently had the honor of James travelled to New Zealand to work with Richard Taylor and the team at Weta Workshop for a week on the film: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

James has just finished designing and sculpting Rotten Rexx, a zombified dinosaur vinyl toy for Lullubell Toy Bodega in Japan, as well as illustrating a comic book about the beast. Over the last year he has been traveling to conventions a gallery shows to promote this and future toys he will be doing with Lullubell.

https://www.facebook.com/james.groman
Last edited by RESINCRYPT on June 4th, 2014, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Jim Groman coming to Resintopia 3!

#2 Post by Graybeard »

Very cool hopefully I'll have the New Groman Godzilla bust
He wants to have ready for the event .

XactoHazard
Glue Sniffer

#3 Post by XactoHazard »

what are the chances that he will have printouts of his art for sale?

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by RESINCRYPT »

XactoHazard wrote:what are the chances that he will have printouts of his art for sale?
I spoke to Jim last night and he will be bringing a beautiful array of his work for display and sale and including art prints and kits.

XactoHazard
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by XactoHazard »

nice

needful1one
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by needful1one »

Jim Groman. One word "Gentleman". This is one of the most talented and awesome human beings this hobby has had in its ranks. On top of that he is an incredible artist. Paint,draw,sculpt. He is so well rounded. It will be great to see him once again.
-Robb

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#7 Post by Otto69 »

I have one of his Zombot Ghoul kits, as well as a CHUD head :) Love his work. See a lot of it here.

http://jgroman.blogspot.com/
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Graybeard »

Talked to Jim the other day he's working on a major project
For Cartoon Network after that he's going to begin sketches on a Godzilla Bust
To debut at Resintopia . It will be a combination of the 54 the new G and a lot of
Jims personal style . Rob is right he is a very nice person !!!

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Graybeard »

Should be good time.
Last edited by Graybeard on August 14th, 2014, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayco35
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#10 Post by jayco35 »

Jim is a great guy it will be good to catch up with him again its been years. Many of the old school dealers and modelers will remember him and his work. 8)

XactoHazard
Glue Sniffer

#11 Post by XactoHazard »

he did NOT disappoint... great guy