What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

AFM’s “Hands On” Modeling Clinics" At "Resintopia"

Resintopia info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

AFM’s “Hands On” Modeling Clinics" At "Resintopia"

#1 Post by RESINCRYPT »

I'm hoping the moderators will be kind enough to allow this post to remain on the Garage page since this is a whole new approach to the modeling classes and has never been offered before in this manner.

Amazing Figure Modeler Magazine is proud to present their first ever “Hands On” Modeling Clinics at the 2nd annual Resintopia show to be held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Fairfield, N.J. on March 23rd and 24th 2013. Modelers looking to improve their modeling skills will do exactly that with these affordable, target specific, one of a kind model clinics. Two classes are being offered on a limited basis and will feature hands on instruction headed up by AFM’s very own talented writers! The first AFM “Hands On” Clinic will focus on hand painting and detailing eyes and will be instructed by artist Fred DiSanto, an award winning professional modeler with over 15 years experience. It’s often been said “the eyes are the windows to the soul”, but as all modelers know, achieving realistic eyes that are convincing on a scale model is easier said than done. That is until now! Join Fred as he takes you step by step in preparing, outlining and detailing a set of eyes so real, you won’t believe your own eyes! In addition to painting and finishing a set of eyes, Fred will also be covering mouth detailing such as teeth, gums and lips. This intensive, two and a half hour class will cost $150 and will include a 1/3 scale, resin Phantom of the Opera bust (a $75 dollar retail value!) sculpted by Tony Cipriano. You’ll also be provided with a lesson plan and a set of Reaper brand paints and brushes to detail your bust.

The second AFM “Hands on” Clinic will tackle various Diorama base techniques in working with balsa foam. Diorama base making is an art unto itself, but achieving credible results can be daunting for modelers to say the least. Heading up this exciting class is veteran modeler and AFM writer Dave Prosser, a talented gent who has over 20 years of experience in creating award-winning, eye catching diorama bases that are simply amazing! The focus of this informative, two and a half hour class will be shaping, prepping and detailing numerous blocks of balsa foam. The curriculum will be broken down into three parts: creating a flat base with wooden planks, fashioning a tombstone, stone texture effects as well as replicating rock and ground cover surfaces. Dave will cover all aspects of cutting, detailing and sealing this versatile product as he walks you thru the process in a simple yet concise manner. The cost for this class is only $100 and is a real value for all the useful modeling tips and tricks that modelers will gain in improving their diorama skills. Included with this class is an ample amount of balsa foam as well as all the required materials needed to shape, scribe, detail and seal your one of a kind creations.

As a special bonus, all attendees for both classes will receive a free years subscription or renewal to Amazing Figure Modeler Magazine absolutely free! Hurry and don’t delay, seating for both AFM “Hands On” Model Clinics is strictly limited to only twenty persons per class. The clinics are designed for modeler’s age 16 or older with skills at all modeling levels. The Eye Detailing Clinic will be held on Saturday afternoon, March 23rd from 1:00 - 3:30 The Diorama Detailing Clinic will be held on Sunday, March 24th at 12:00 noon – 2:30. Note: all materials and supplies offered as part of the classes are yours to own and keep. To reserve your seat you must do so by March 9th and you can pay by either one of two ways. Paypal orders should be handled the following way. Payment must be sent selecting the Gift option. Email payment via Paypal to: vintage1@worldnet.att.net or you can send a check or money order directly to AFM at: P.O.Box 30885, Columbus, Ohio, 43230. When ordering, please include your name and phone number so we can verify your reservation. For any specific questions or concerns please contact AFM directly at: http://www.amazingmodeler.com Modeling instruction this target specific has never been offered before in a classroom setting and we expect both classes to fill up quick, so don’t delay and make your reservation now! We guarantee you’ll have an AMAZING time and you’re sure to walk away with improved modeling skills that’ll last a lifetime!
Last edited by RESINCRYPT on February 3rd, 2013, 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

Re: AFM’s “Hands On” Modeling Clinics" At "Resintopia"

#2 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

Im so looking forward to the show here! :D
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

Nalissa2

#3 Post by Nalissa2 »

Mouth and teeth have always eluded me, so the Sat class looks interesting. :)

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#4 Post by raydrz »

moved to proper forum at the suggestion of several people...

certainly hope same BS from last year will not repeat itself...
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

boondocksaint
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by boondocksaint »

raydrz wrote:moved to proper forum at the suggestion of several people...

certainly hope same BS from last year will not repeat itself...

I agree. So much wasted time and energy on nonsense. Live happy build happy. :)
Check out Modeler's Lair model group on Facebook

Jerseyfest sept 8th-sept 10th 2017

http://jerseyfestfair.com

henry pratt
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by henry pratt »

Sounds great...Im In
Hope to learn a trick or two from FRED..

jb

needful1one
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by needful1one »

This being the first of many clinics where you can learn from the Gang at AFM to me is worth any price.

I want to take the Dave Prosser class my self. I hope I can get away from my table to do so.
-Robb

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#8 Post by RESINCRYPT »

The show is going to be Absolutely Phenominal!! Be sure to book both AFM classes quickly to insure a space in each class. Come early, stay late. There will be an AMAZING array of eye candy. Come join the party!! Be sure to reserve your rooms quickly at the special Resintopia rate by calling the hotel at 973-227-9200 and ask for the Resintopia rate or use code DP3. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the Resintopians in just a few weeks. Please check our website at http://www.resintopia.com for further info. This is going to be one Rockin Shindig you don't want to miss.
Last edited by RESINCRYPT on February 9th, 2013, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Graybeard »

Unfortunately I can't do Wonderfest so I'm glad this show is close to home and I actually did Good at the first one . I don't think I can sit still enough for a modeling class though !! Lol

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#10 Post by timetraveler »

Sorry to hear there won't be a Gillman table at Wonderfest. I met some great people and got some cool stuff there last year! :(

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Graybeard »

timetraveler wrote:Sorry to hear there won't be a Gillman table at Wonderfest. I met some great people and got some cool stuff there last year! :(
Next year we will be there .

sideshowtony
Glue Sniffer

#12 Post by sideshowtony »

Looking forward to this...first show the wife and I are attending....taking the Friday and probably the Saturday class....

--Sideshowtony
"And when there weren't no crawfish we ate sand." --Raising Arizona

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by timetraveler »

Paul, thanks for looking ahead to Wonderfest 2014. I know I'll be there. I can only imagine what great additional kits you'll have by then.

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#14 Post by RESINCRYPT »

Good evening Resintopians,
Space is going quickly for The AFM Hands On Modeling Clinics. You know in many ways I wish I could I could take both these classes but I will be running around the hotel all weekend long. It's times like these I wish I could be cloned (now that's a scary thought). I could then take care of the show and go to all the classes. Both these classes are a phenominal. I was breaking down each of them and they both are truly great values. Just imagine bringing AFM magazine to life in live and living color. That is whats going to happen on March 23rd and March 24th at Resintopia. In the painting class you get a absolutely gorgeous Phantom bust sculpted by the very talanted and gifted hands of Tony Cipriano (a $75.00 value), paints, brushes and tutelage from AFM's Fred DiSanto plus a years subscription to AFM ($30.00 value). When you add it all up your really only paying $45.00 for the class. The Phantom bust is gorgeous and it's an exclusive piece which can only be obtained by taking the AFM Modeling Clinic. In the detailing Dioramas class you will be getting an ample supply of balsa foam, all the tools needed to create some awesome custom bases, tomb stones (and more), gesso to seal your creations tutelage from AFM's Dave Posner plus a years subscription for AFM magazine ($30.00 value). All in all this is a tremendous value and great opportunity to learn from some of the most talanted people in the hobby. Best of all you are walking away with a wealth knowledge from both of these Amazing Hands On Clinics. Don't be left out. Book your classes as soon as possible. See you at Resintopia. :D

jasonjaconetti
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by jasonjaconetti »

Going to the show, but don't think I will be able to take either class. Shame, because they sound so great
Jerseyfest Aug. 28th - 30th, 2015
http://www.jerseyfestfair.com

Nalissa2

#16 Post by Nalissa2 »

Sent payment off yesterday! Very excited.

RESINCRYPT
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

Re: AFM’s "Modeling Clinics" At "Resintopia" Limited Space

#17 Post by RESINCRYPT »

Space is running out very fast. Don't be the one who misses out. Those of you planning on taking the AFM Modeling Clinics being held on Saturday March 23 and 24, 2013 need to sign up by March 9th. That is by this Sunday. Both classes are going to be Absolutely Awesome and features two of the hobbies best artist Fred Di Santo and Dave Prosser. This will be a great opportunity to learn new tricks, improve on skills and rub elbows with old and new friends and all at a very affordable price. Each class includes all materials needed, professional instruction and a year's subscriptions to the coolest magazine on the planet "Amazing Figure Modeler" Resintopia is now only 17 days away!! Justin time to melt away the winter blues!

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#18 Post by derekc62 »

A big Thank You to the folks from AFM and especially to Fred who was a very patient and encouraging instructor for The Eyes Have It class.
I only had time to do the Saturday class but I learned some great techniques and tips from Fred, who very graciously offered his e-mail address to everyone in the class in case we need help in the future.
Here's hoping the AFM classes continue for future shows.
Derek Conlon

zombiphobia
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#19 Post by zombiphobia »

Hey Derek,

Thanks very much for the positive feedback on the AFM class. It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else on Saturday afternoon. I hope I was able to pass on some helpful painting advice. Everyone did such a great job, and the time seemed to fly by.

Thanks again, :D
Fred