G-Fest info, news, and questions here!

Moderator: Moderators

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

CH @ G-fest09!

#1 Post by raydrz »

we had a decent showing of CH brethren at this past weekend's G-fest...myself, jon legrand & his son, carl "zombiezilla" isonhart, matt "kaijumodeler" evangelista, steve "evilryu" granato, fred "tohoboy" delvecchio, "honorary member" dennis reid (a good pal of hobbydude bilal---c'mon & join up dennis! g-mail accounts are OK!), and a nice surprise-robert "plyometrics" troch...who'd i forget? anyone????

sorry you couldn't make it kenny...
as usual sorry XOjohn tucky and mike wallace couldn't be there...i miss them days...

one of these days, maybe we'll get bill, jason, phil, max and some of the other chi-town CHers to attend...

fred's destroy all monsters mega diorama was a real treat with a beautiful name plate and an awesome pic of mt fuji behind as a backdrop...

dennis and jon both had over 10 entries and dominated that whole side of the room...very cool guys...jon's stoutasaurus dio looks so incredible in person, as did his scratchbuilt orga/spaceship form...i got a buncha good looks at dennis' dios at WF09 but the G-festers really were blown away by all the details...

of course the three of them were well compensated for their efforts...they won t's facto kits (84 & GMK), image kits, just awesome!...these were donated by kaijumodeler matt...BRAVO to all of you! =D> =D> =D>
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Hobby_Dude
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

Re: CH @ G-fest09!

#2 Post by Hobby_Dude »

Hey John,

Thanks for the show report. I really wish I could have attended. Dennis was calling me throughout the show giving me updates so I guess that was the next best thing. Now all I need my fellow G-Fans to post some show pictures.

I heard that Matt did a great job working with Stan Hyde in the model seminars and those were some awesome contest prizes. Congratulations to all of the winners.
-- Hobby Dude

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#3 Post by plyometrics »

I had a good time seeing all the build ups, being part of the modeling seminars, hanging out with guys and as an added honor being part of the judges panel for the kit contest.

The DAM was cool. The famous photo in 3D! A great nameplate too.

Jon's Stoutosaurus dio was also excellent.

The smaller Gamera dio that Dennis brought was my fave of his stuff

Plus those 2 guys (Jon and Dennis) really did dominate one whole side of the room!

Then there was the Dio that Larry did. No kaiju but....... all kind of details and things going on. Conquistadors, a monster coming out of a pool, a cannon about to fire, a "conjurer". It was on at least three different levels and had a sort of Pulp magazine, movie poster or even movie set feel to it.

Some cool stuff from the young ones too

Stan has some ideas to improve the contest/seminars too. Next year I may have to drive out there so I can bring something to enter. In fact EVERYONE needs to bring something! Now is the time. Get busy everyone.

Best,

Robert Troch
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

zibbazabba
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by zibbazabba »

If anybody has any pics, please post, thanks!!!!

razorwyre1
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by razorwyre1 »

i almost made it this year, but circumstances got in the way. im gonna make time for it next year, by gumm!
"I wrestled with reality for 35 years. I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
-Elwood P. Dowd

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#6 Post by plyometrics »

Oh yeah....Fred gets lots of credit for the DAM dio. Imagine yourself painting up 11 monsters for one dio. Well....he did it!

Robert Troch
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#7 Post by raydrz »

Then there was the Dio that Larry did. No kaiju but....... all kind of details and things going on. Conquistadors, a monster coming out of a pool, a cannon about to fire, a "conjurer". It was on at least three different levels and had a sort of Pulp magazine, movie poster or even movie set feel to it.
you guys might have seen this at WF09...larry tribula built a 'prequel to the relic' dio...just amazing how all the people in the scene are going about their business trying to trap the kothoga...

larry loves them smaller scale dios...anyone recall his "gorgo as london burns"???
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#8 Post by raydrz »

zibbazabba wrote:If anybody has any pics, please post, thanks!!!!
i'm on it tonight!!!
JOHN PETIK

zibbazabba
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#9 Post by zibbazabba »

I'm on it tonight!!!
Thanks John, I haven't gotten to go for the last 8 years, so I really appreciate any pics at all from the model contest. :D

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#10 Post by raydrz »

PIXXX AVAILABLE FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/573392390ieOnuw
JOHN PETIK

tohoboy
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by tohoboy »

Hey guys. Hope everyone had a safe trip home. It was really great to meet everone in person (Jon, John, Dennis, Rob), and thanks for all the positive feedback!!!! It was great to see everyone's incredible work!! You guys are really a talented bunch of artists. Well-deserved awards by Jon and Dennis and all the other winners!!! Amazing work! Special thanks to Matt for all the prizes!!! The DAM diorama was a labor of love for me, and tribute to my favorite G-film. Next time, I'll pick a sturdier support rod for KG!

The modeling seminars were great. I don't know of any other figure modeler's close by me, so all the feedback, and everyone sharing their modeling tips and experience is invaluable to me. I hope the judges do the feedback thing Stan mentioned next year. That would be very useful in helping me to improve my modeling.

It was a great G-Fest! Got enough loot to keep me very busy until the next G-Fest. Looking forward to seeing everyone again next year!!

All the best,
Fred
Fred Del Vecchio

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Jon LeGrand »

It was a great time in Chicago, I was really glad to meet some of the CH'ers in person (Robert, Fred, Dennis, etc), and to see Matt, John and Steve again. Had sushi at Todai with John (Raydrz). Good times, John! Spent over $900.00 on models, movies, G-Fan back issues, etc!! :roll: Thanks Matt for donating the prizes! I have more than enough to do for a few years now! Just no room. John had a good idea selling buildups there, he had some great stuff, including an unbuilt Sakai SpaceGodzilla I picked up from him. Another highlight kit I picked up was the Attlier G-1 (Honeybones?) 54 Future. Matt's buildup of this kit was highly inspirational. Fred (Tohoboy) is a great guy, and his DAM got the Peoples Choice Award! Well deserved! It was a centerpiece of the model room, just awesome! It was good to see so many more great models on display than last year, Dennis should win a prize just for transporting 13 models from Atlanta in the back of a van! I can't ever make it to WF, so this is my only shot at something like this, and for me it is Godzilla Heaven! :wink: I have lots of plans for next year, hopefully they don't move it out of my range. Hey, there is a great convention center in Omaha, and that "O" is the belly button of the US of A, right in the middle! Robert, our friend Greg once said NYC is the armpit! :lol: Looking forward to the coming of Showdown of the Godz by the way! Thanks to all who contributed to a great G-Fest!
ALL YOUR KAIJU MODEL KITS ARE BELONG TO US!!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Paul Helfrich
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by Paul Helfrich »

I was there with my sons and had a great time! These were their models:

and Fred's Destroy All Monsters was awesome!
A well-deserved People's Choice winner. Jon and Dennis had incredible stuff, too.

My younger son Gerry was thrilled to win best Jr figure for his Polar Lights Rodan, even more so when we saw the super Image Rodan kit he won as a prize courtesy of Kaiju Modeler!

This was our first G-Fest and we will definitely try to go again.
“Hello darkness, my old friend...I've come to talk with you again." - Paul Simon

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#14 Post by raydrz »

dang it paul...wish i coulda met you & your crew...nice going there by the younguns!...image rodan is a helluva "1st resin kit"...hope he'll win again in 2010 with that kit...i know lotsa folks were digging that gigantics mantis he did 8)

where ya from????
JOHN PETIK

Paul Helfrich
Squire of the Sprue

#15 Post by Paul Helfrich »

Hey John! Sorry we missed you too! We live in Dayton, OH.
“Hello darkness, my old friend...I've come to talk with you again." - Paul Simon

Hobby_Dude
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by Hobby_Dude »

Paul,

Your sons kits are amazing. Very impressive work! I look forward to seeing more :-)
-- Hobby Dude

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#17 Post by raydrz »

there was a zillion ohio license plates in that parking lot...too cool! :thumb2:
JOHN PETIK

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Jon LeGrand »

I wish I could have met you and your family too, Paul! I thought the Rodan was awesome, and so was the Mantis. I have a mantis I never built, and your son did such a great job on it, makes me want to work on mine! I'm glad he won an Image kit, my 1st resin was an Image baragon (DAM). I also got the Rodan from Image at the 'Fest. Congratulations! =D> =D>
ALL YOUR KAIJU MODEL KITS ARE BELONG TO US!!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

tohoboy
Jack of all Trades

#19 Post by tohoboy »

Congratulations to your son!!! He did a great job on those kits, and he should be very proud of his work! He'll really like doing the Image Rodan kit. Rodan is one of my favorites, and the Image Rodan is one of the best Rodan kits out there.

We should plan an outing for the next G-Fest so we can all get together and meet.

Meeting everyone in person was the best part of the show!
Fred Del Vecchio

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#20 Post by raydrz »

^
sorry you & yer pal missed the sushi, fred...great food, great time 8)
JOHN PETIK