What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Moebius' Frankenstein

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Moebius' Frankenstein

#1 Post by kevtk135 »

This kit was bought when my local model club was having a contest based on kits that originated with Aurora. I remember building the Frankie as well as almost all the other monsters that Aurora released.Then I come to find out that No, this is a new kit. Oh well it didn't really matter as I was one of the judges for the contest and I wouldn't have included my kit in the judging anyway. Can't go to waste, let's build it. 

The kit is very nice with a big stone castle wall and door as a backdrop. The face was a decent sculpt, but I went with Escape Hatch Hobby's Frankenstein replacement head. Seems I didn't take the "before" pic so here's some parts glued up with the original head.

The wall/door was also very well sculpted - 

To change things up I started painting the background/base first. This is just the base coating a lot more paint as well as weathering has to go on...

Painting the monster was a series of back and forths between a flesh color and a pale green. What I also did, with a very thin brush was to paint in some veining and bruises, tho they can't really be see with my crappy photography. The suit and shoes was a dirty black, and the shirt was a brown.  

Since I got the kit, I really didn't like the way the doorway opened to nothing. I had no intention of creating the appearance of another room, so I took some sheet styrene, painted black, and covered over the door opening. 

With that he was done. Thanks for looking.

Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Moebius' Frankenstein

#2 Post by timetraveler »

Very beautifully done. Excellent shading on the face and the base is a perfect match. I wonder how this kit would have gone over in the early sixties?

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by kevtk135 »

timetraveler wrote:Very beautifully done. Excellent shading on the face and the base is a perfect match. I wonder how this kit would have gone over in the early sixties?
Thanks.

I dunno. The bases for the Aurora monster models were very simply IIRC. Wouldn't be surprised if the cost of the kit doubled with a base/background like that. Prolly they'd make it into a separate kit. The door is a work of art itself.
Otherwise the monster itself is a pretty straight fwd kit, nothing out of the ordinary for a 60's modeler.
Kev
~~~

overspray
Jack of all Trades

#4 Post by overspray »

Looks great, nice work. Really like the gravel you added on the base.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by timetraveler »

Given the size and complexity of the base, Aurora might have issued it as some type of "Monster Customizing Kit".

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#6 Post by kevtk135 »

overspray wrote:Looks great, nice work. Really like the gravel you added on the base.
Thanks.
Even tho all the castles I've visited are very clean museums, I always thought that they were dusty, dirty places. ;)

timetraveler wrote:Given the size and complexity of the base, Aurora might have issued it as some type of "Monster Customizing Kit".
Agreed. They made other little kits to fill out a scene, why not a castle wall and door. :)
Kev
~~~

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by llricmc »

That came out really nice! What a coincidence, I am working on the same one.
Ric McHone

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by bucketfoot-al »

*Excellent*!!! :lol:

The black styrene panel really creates the illusion that he is coming out of a dark room, or in from a dark night - well done!!! :drool2:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett