What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Dr Who 60th Anniversary Celebration Build!

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

Dr Who 60th Anniversary Celebration Build!

#1 Post by Tiger2 »

Having been relegated to a humble ‘lurker’ for a while due to work and assorted ‘family crisis’, I’ve finally got the bit between my teeth
to build and paint something. With the longest running Sci Fi TV show in history turning 60 this year, I thought it was a good excuse
to wade into the rest of my Sevans stash.

These kits are true vintage, multi media creations, getting on for around 35 - 40 years old now, but still revered as some of the most
accurate model replicas of the original props on the planet. Mainly vac formed parts, with extra details like mesh, piping, fur etc. Sevans models
are true, cottage industry products, certainly more garage kit than mainstream. As with any low run kit, they take a bit of spit and polish to get them
together, but are well worth the effort. At 1/5th scale, they capture the look and feel of these iconic creatures very well.

I did a build thread of the Ice Warrior here: http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 9&t=120917

Highly sought after by Dr Who collectors, any glance on eBay will show most of these kits mint in box going for around $350.
I’ve gradually acquired mine over the years at reasonably ‘sensible’ prices, but they’ve lined my stash cupboard for too long!

So, which one to start with… The Movie Dalek builds into versions from either of the wonderful Peter Cushing films and can also be
made into a TV Dalek. The Cyberman is based on the design seen in ‘Earthshock’ from the Peter Davidson years. I have plans to modify
this guy into a walking pose. But one of my all time favourite characters has to be…

…DAVROS!! Creator of the legendary Daleks, this kit is based on Michael Wisher’s stellar performance from 1975, Genesis of the Daleks.
Blimey, I was 10 years old! :shock: It was a golden era for the show, with Tom Baker as one of the best Doctor’s, for me anyway, of the entire series.
A worthy contender then to kick off with then and celebrate 60 years of Dr Who.

All main parts are in vacuformed sheet styrene, with the head and hand in resin. Others details provided in wire, white metal, decals and
mirrored card. A sheet of detailed instructions and full history of the character and BBC prop complete the package.

First job, separate the main components from their backing sheets. Simply score round the parts with a sharp knife, gently flex the surrounding sheet
plastic and the parts pop free. With some gentle sanding and scraping, any rough spots are ironed out and I'm finally ready to start some assembly.
Ahhh, the heady fumes of styrene liquid cement is beckoning, back with more Dr Who action ASAP :D

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

Re: Dr Who 60th Anniversary Celebration Build!

#2 Post by tay666 »

Oooooo!
This is gonna be fun.

I really enjoyed your other Doctor Who build, so this should be even better.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by LOBOREX »

Talk about coincidence, a couple of weeks ago knocked my sevans Davros off his shelf along with several books. He has definitely seen better days now. Look forward to seeing your build while I try and put mine back together.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by barad_dur »

Looking forward to watching your progress on this build !

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by Ant »

Looking forward to following this Paul - you did such a great job with old Icy!
I have the TV Dalek, built in the early 90's. It was a challenge but I got there. I also had the Cyberman but after struggling with for a while I sold on to a friend (for probably a criminally low price :) )
Good luck!

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#6 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Oh this is going to be good :D

Bring on the dancing girls Image Image Image Image Image

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Seems like some cruel punishment this company intended for U.K Modelers
Dr who approves ..
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#8 Post by Tiger2 »

Thanks for your friendly support guys, I have been making progress with the skirt assembly, then knocked off my perch on Friday with a positive test for bloody COVID!! First time I've had it since it all began, I'm pretty well vaccinated but still feel like I've been run over by a rugby team. Just my luck, play will resume with more progress pics and annotations ASAP. Take care everyone, it's still out there!

All the best,
Paul

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by Ant »

Oh bad luck! I made it til last Xmas but to get it now takes the biscuit. Speedy recovery!

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#10 Post by tay666 »

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: . . . still feel like I've been run over by a rugby team . . .
Hope you feel better FAST mate - sometimes it seems like it's one thing after another . . .

Sending positive vibes from the West coast of here.

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#12 Post by Tiger2 »

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I'm taking plenty of rest, which isn't easy for me as I'm one of these people that feels guilty if I'm not working or doing something! However, I know if I push it there's every chance it could go into the long term version, so that's the incentive to slack down!

That said, in between sleeping, I've done a bit more sanding and scraping on Mr Davros this afternoon, so should have another update in a day or two once I can get the pics onto the computer.

Take care everyone,
Paul

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by scuzzfink85 »

With such thin plastic I don't know you glue it ?
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#14 Post by Tiger2 »

scuzzfink85 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:45 pm With such thin plastic I don't know you glue it ?
The plastic isn't that thin, I'd say about 1mm thick in places, so quite robust. Liquid styrene glue is recommended for the majority of work, it melts the parts together and helps fill seams nicely too. Any areas that need a stronger bond, I'll use styrene tube glue. Any dissimilar materials (white metal, resin, wire etc) use cyano.

I'm still testing positive after 5 days of this ruddy virus, slight cough, all taste and smell gone and generally feeling washed out and tired. So, not interested in gluing anything else just yet, I've got to be focused and not risk making mistakes!

Cheers,
Paul

Heavy Metal Spike

#15 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:05 am . . . I'm still testing positive after 5 days of this ruddy virus, slight cough, all taste and smell gone and generally feeling washed out and tired.
So, not interested in gluing anything else just yet, I've got to be focused and not risk making mistakes!
Cheers, Paul

Don't rush it, don't risk it (the recovery AND the kit) . . . you'll pull through this Paul mate . . . and we all know you'll knock the build out the park.

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by Tiger2 »

Cheers Ian for your kind words, it's a right royal pain in the backside I can tell you! Hang about, what time is it where you are? Shouldn't you be in bed?!

Meanwhile, mum enters her 5th week in hospital, having fallen and broken her femur during another escape bid while dad wasn't watching. Apparently she's medically fit to leave, but needs to go to respite care first and no beds available. Clearly with COVID, I cannot visit her, so a bit of a bum time all round at the moment!

Sorry to moan and stay safe,
Paul

Heavy Metal Spike

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tiger2 wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:45 am Cheers Ian for your kind words, it's a right royal pain in the backside I can tell you! Hang about, what time is it where you are? Shouldn't you be in bed?!

Meanwhile, mum enters her 5th week in hospital, having fallen and broken her femur during another escape bid while dad wasn't watching. Apparently she's medically fit to leave, but needs to go to respite care first and no beds available. Clearly with COVID, I cannot visit her, so a bit of a bum time all round at the moment!

Sorry to moan and stay safe,
Paul

Geez - like I said: "sometimes it seems like it's one thing after another" . . . best wishes for HER speedy recovery too. Tell her to cut out the bungie-jumping next time!

RE: "Hang about": I was up late watching the final episode of "Ted Lasso" - love it so much I couldn't wait until I got up today :)

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#18 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Never watched the show but am familiar with the theme. Baker was THE Doctor. "Davros", eh? Is this what Klaus Schwab is working on at Davos??? :rolf:

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#19 Post by Ant »

Hey Paul - I just tried to PM you and it said "specified user does not exist" :shock: Forum upgrade glitch??

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#20 Post by Tiger2 »

FINALLY, I tested negative after 2 full weeks! :shock: Not a good time despite all the vaccines but hopefully
it will have strengthened the immune system a bit. I certainly don't intend getting it again for a while, if ever :2guns:

Enough of me bleating on about feeling ill, I've managed to get an update put together on Davros, this is what's been cooking on the bench.
First up, the removable panels on the skirt. Plastic strips have to be scored and separated, then glued onto the rear of the panel to create a crude,
but effective locking system.

I then assembled the details to be revealed behind these panels, adding extra details with styrene sheet, rod and left overs from a tank kit
to busy them up a bit more.

Next step, adding the skirt panels, starting with the rear. Despite all my careful cutting, chamfering of edges and sanding, gaps are still present!
Oh well, it’s part of the mindful process of modelling I guess, so on with the primer and putty. I have a feeling this might take a few goes, but it’s
going in the right direction.

Now onto the consoles, front and rear. Main parts are vac formed, the rear requires styrene strips to be glued around the front edge,
creating a lip to help with location on the skirt later on.

Again, this is quite crude on initial assembly and will require a little elbow grease
and putty to get it looking sharp. Certainly not a shake and bake kit, but I’m enjoying surfing on the edge of scratch building!
This assembly now needs priming, then painting before adding a yellow transparency on top, along with other details later on.

Front console next, but that will be for the next update. In the meantime, takes care and keep modelling :D