What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Tony Wootson's second part of his 2023 Wonderfest Show Report

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Re: Tony Wootson's second part of his 2023 Wonderfest Show Report

#21 Post by bucketfoot-al »

barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm Hi Tony,
I sincerely appreciate your interest in my bashes!

Yup, the same kit was used for each werewolf bash.
I posted a pic below which shows an original unmodified scream’n werewolf kit beside the first iteration of my 2 werewolf bashes.

Yup, I did the YMIRS along with 4 other entries shown below (Balrog Deathwing dragon bash, shark hunter demon, shark hunter bash, and unmodified shark hunter).

My assessment of my painting style is that I have lots of room for improvement! :wink:
I think the main reason for the similarity of painting on my kits is probably because I do not use an airbrush.
I still only use old school paint brushes, some sponges and and pastels.

Thanks BA for pointing people to the kustomizers section where many work in progress pics can be found for these bashes and several others!

Joe - you're forgetting your "Dragon-Man" bash, which I personally found exceptionally inspiring and could not take my eyes off of. Show that one too. :lol: Understated pose perhaps, but you look at it and just go:

Edit: Here he is:

Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#22 Post by tay666 »

AntMan wrote: August 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm
For some reason waaay too many of them were unsalvageable. Also, many others appear "acceptable". (However, if you click on them
and view the large version of them, you will see that they remain a bit blurry).
I wonder if it has anything to do with the exceptionally horrid lighting in the contest room this year. Whatever bulbs the Crown Plaza has switched to, do not cast enough light. I talked to several people at the show who commented on it. It was especially bad on the far wall that had the props and such. Even with the wall sconces a lot of the items were blending with the table cloths due to the lack of light.
I know in lower lighting, my camera takes a fraction of a second longer to actually take a picture, so any movement results in blur and focus problems. (mine also suffers even more if I have the camera on too long and the battery seems to slow things down. So I have to turn it off for 5 or 10 minutes to like let it recover)

I also forgot to mention how much I admire your quest to photograph every contest entry. I wouldn't even attempt it. Especially with the number of entries we have been getting recently.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#23 Post by barad_dur »

Hah, Oh yeah, thanks BA!
See my model kit collection on YouTube Model Club TV Episode 86
See my kitbash work-in-progress pics in the Kustomizers section of the clubhouse
Thanks for looking !

Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#24 Post by Squidy53 »

barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm My assessment of my painting style is that I have lots of room for improvement! :wink:
I think the main reason for the similarity of painting on my kits is probably because I do not use an airbrush.
"Familiarity breeds contempt?" You mean "old school" like Leonardo DaVinci, Rubens and Monet? :wink: What you achieve is impressive. :bow: Airbrushes definitely have their place, but I like the look of stuff done with "old school paint brushes, some sponges and pastels", especially the creature stuff.
bucketfoot-al wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:21 pm Joe - you're forgetting your "Dragon-Man" bash, which I personally found exceptionally inspiring and could not take my eyes off of. Show that one too. :lol: Understated pose perhaps, but you look at it and just go:[/size]
I agree with BA on this one (don't I always? :wink:), this is a killer build. BA calls it "understated" -- I think the power of this build lies in its stillness.
Steve Walsh

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#25 Post by AntMan »

bucketfoot-al wrote: August 7th, 2023, 5:52 pm Yes he most certainly did. :wink: You'll find Joe's (barad-durs) "in progress" threads on all these builds over on the "Kustomizers" section of the CH.

Real good readin' (you have no idea how many iterations of 'bashing each one of his builds went through) ... :popcorn:
Kewl and great! Thanks for sharing.

I'll give his threads a look-see when I get a free moment.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#26 Post by AntMan »

barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm Hi Tony,
I sincerely appreciate your interest and kind words for my bashes!
Your assessment is exactly my primary goal with each bash which is to make a one of a kind creation that does look like an original.
You're very much welcome!
barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm Yup, the same kit was used for each werewolf bash.
I posted a pic below which shows an original unmodified scream’n werewolf kit beside the first iteration of my 2 werewolf bashes.

Yup, I did the YMIRS along with 4 other entries shown below (Balrog Deathwing dragon bash, shark hunter demon, shark hunter bash, and unmodified shark hunter). I also included a pic of the original unmodified sideshow weta balrog statue so you can see the significant changes I made for that bash.
I thought so!

Also, if I would have guessed, I would have also chosen all of your others, as well. (I also mention your Balrog in one of my videos. It was another
figure which caught my eye, and which I was admiring at the show).
barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm My assessment of my painting style is that I have lots of room for improvement! :wink:
Hey, we all have room for improvement in our own painting. It's admirable that you've accomplished all that you have in your figures
by just hand-painting them, along with using sponges and pastels.
barad_dur wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm Thanks BA for kind words and pointing people to the kustomizers section where many work in progress pics can be found for these bashes and several others!

I will check out your "custom conversions" when I get a free moment

Thanks for sharing all of your additional information on your figures, along with their conversions.
-Tony

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#27 Post by AntMan »

tay666 wrote: August 7th, 2023, 8:09 pm
AntMan wrote: August 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm
For some reason waaay too many of them were unsalvageable. Also, many others appear "acceptable". (However, if you click on them
and view the large version of them, you will see that they remain a bit blurry).
I wonder if it has anything to do with the exceptionally horrid lighting in the contest room this year. Whatever bulbs the Crown Plaza has switched to, do not cast enough light. I talked to several people at the show who commented on it. It was especially bad on the far wall that had the props and such. Even with the wall sconces a lot of the items were blending with the table cloths due to the lack of light.
I know in lower lighting, my camera takes a fraction of a second longer to actually take a picture, so any movement results in blur and focus problems. (mine also suffers even more if I have the camera on too long and the battery seems to slow things down. So I have to turn it off for 5 or 10 minutes to like let it recover)

I also forgot to mention how much I admire your quest to photograph every contest entry. I wouldn't even attempt it. Especially with the number of entries we have been getting recently.
YEAH!!!! I was thinking that it was just me, but I guess not!!!!

I have an external LED light, and found myself having to use it much more than I remember having to use it at previous W-Fest shows.
And there were times when I had to spend waay too much time trying to get my external light "just right", (not being too bright, causing
the models' colors to be washed out, but also being bright enough to properly supplement the the room's lighting system).

(Sooooo, I guess I can now chalk it up to not only my camera deciding to act up, but also the room's crappy lighting)??? :D

Also, thanks for your compliment on my quest to take pictures of each and every model in the contest room.
(I'm starting to feel that this is more of my personal Wonderfest curse, though). :D
-Tony

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#28 Post by AntMan »

BARAD_DUR, D-U-D-E,

You are Soooo underselling those modifications that you've made to your creature-figures!

When just looking at your two werewolf conversions, yours look SOO MUCH BETTER than the original one.
The proportions and details you added to their feet, their legs, their arms, their upper torso and their heads
are SOO MUCH BETTER than the original. (I kind of listed the complete figures there, didn't I, which kind of makes
them new sculpts)?

I'm even seeing addition fur and chest details that the original werewolf did not have, which yours do have.

I'm not sure if you've ever sculpted any original pieces of your own, but if you haven't, I think you should!
Last edited by AntMan on August 11th, 2023, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#29 Post by tay666 »

Nope!
The tool isn't the culprit. I've painted most of my time with no airbrush. The airbrush doesn't change how you paint, or even level up your painting. It just makes some things easier to achieve or speeds up some processes. (it can be fickle though and some time set you back and take even longer)

I think the reasons your kits look so similar when grouped together are multiple.
First, this is your current style. We all develop a style, and our styles change and morph as we move along this hobby.
These were all basically painted in the same time frame. You were under the gun trying to finish up for the show, so you were working as efficiently as you could. Which means that they are all going to have the same style. Because the most efficient way to paint is by doing things the way you are most comfortable doing them. Very little going out on a limb trying something new to get a new effect. No pushing things just a little further because the risk of having to start over is too great when you are under a deadline.
I know. I've been there. Hell, I still go there sometimes. You can tell, when you see the same exact paint on like 5 different kits :)

Trust me. The more you paint, the easier it gets, and the more adventurous you will get. The more you push the limits, the more you accomplish. I used to hate painting. Now I really enjoy it.
It's still rare that I start with a vision and actually get close to it. Things happen along the way, and the plan changes. I'm still not good enough to just go from point A to point B. Especially since I still suck at mixing colors to get what I see in my mind. I'm getting closer, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that in a year or two, your painting will look different. It will evolve. You will be more content with it, but you will never be completely happy with it.
Having an airbrush, or buying a new line of paints, or learning a new technique won't change that.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#30 Post by bucketfoot-al »

AntMan wrote: August 10th, 2023, 5:30 pm bucketfoot-al, D-U-D-E,

You are Soooo underselling those modifications that you've made to your creature-figures!
*SNIP*
You meant to direct that comment to BARAD_DUR. Those are his critters. :lol:

(I'm just the dinosaur 'bashing guy. :wink: )
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Squidy53
Jack of all Trades

#31 Post by Squidy53 »

tay666 wrote: August 11th, 2023, 12:23 am The tool isn't the culprit. I've painted most of my time with no airbrush. The airbrush doesn't change how you paint, or even level up your painting...Having an airbrush, or buying a new line of paints, or learning a new technique won't change that.
What a fantastic perspective -- given me a lot to think about too.
Steve Walsh

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#32 Post by AntMan »

bucketfoot-al wrote: August 11th, 2023, 1:38 am
AntMan wrote: August 10th, 2023, 5:30 pm bucketfoot-al, D-U-D-E,

*SNIP*
You meant to direct that comment to BARAD_DUR. Those are his critters. :lol:

(I'm just the dinosaur 'bashing guy. :wink: )
Got it, and sorry.

I've corrected it.
-Tony