What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Working on my workshop.

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

Working on my workshop.

#1 Post by tay666 »

As some may know, I moved this year.
So I am starting from scratch. All my stuff is still packed, while it waits for me to get my brand new workspace set up.

Today I finally finished the first project for that work space.

My spray paint shelf. Now I have a place to store all my cans of paint.
Which emptied out about 7 boxes and cleared a bunch of space.
As you can see, this provides plenty of storage, and makes it easy to find what I need.
Very bottom shelf is for gloss paints, the one above it is for my primers, and clear-flat.
(Needed someplace to store lots of cans of the same color/type. Plenty of depth and storage.)
The other 7 shelves allow me to see, store, and organize all the rest.

If anyone is interested in how it was built, you can see the progression here
http://www.tylisaari.com/models/mine/sprayshelf.htm
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Working on my workshop.

#2 Post by Scooke123 »

I'm glad to see you are finally getting a chance to start on your hobby related space. That shelf looks like it will hold a lot of paint!
Steve Cooke

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by Warped Speed »

Well that's a good start. I looked at your link and it seems your gonna have plenty 'o space. What's next, the all important work bench? :drool2: Or more storage?

Good luck with it all,
Carl-

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#4 Post by tay666 »

Probably going to start on the workbench itself next.
I already have the top, as I am going to repurpose the old countertop from the island that was in the kitchen. I also already have the castors for it. (almost all tables will be on wheels to keep options open). And most of the lumber.

I may build one of the secondary tables first so I have a place for the TV/stereo. The only problem with that, is I haven't fully sorted out what I want to do on the left-hand wall yet. I know what I would like to incorporate, but I haven't worked out the space needs for all my wants yet.
So if I do one of the secondary tables first, I will probably just do a quick throw-together that could easily be disassembled and modified if need be.

What I SHOULD do next is the spray booth and table for it.
I know where I want it. Just to the left of that shelf. On a rolling table that will sit over that sump hole but I can wheel out of the way if I need to access the sump pump. I can vent it right out that window that the sump drain runs through.
I can picture what I want. But I haven't worked out just how big a booth I want, and what I need to do to make that happen.
I also don't have the ability to power it over there yet. Not until I swap out my electrical panel in the spring and redo a bunch of the wiring. Pretty sure I'm going to end up using a squirrel cage with a furnace blower motor. So I'm going to want a dedicated circuit for that and the eventual airbrush compressor that will sit over there as well.

Lots and lots to do yet.
Trevor Ylisaari

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#5 Post by Rocketeer »

Good looking paint shelf. I built one a while back that consisted of wire silverware baskets screwed to a piece of plywood. Really helps you get organized.

My friend King of Greeblies had some foresight when he had air conditioning installed in his house. He put one a/c head unit in his garage, walled off that stall, and now he has a 10x20 heated/air conditioned workshop dedicated to modeling. He's the envy of all his friends.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#6 Post by kevtk135 »

Lookin' good! Cool too that one day soon, you'll have your dedicated space.

As someone whose work space is in the attic, climate control is important. Winters aren't as bad as I just have to open the door on the top floor and heat rises up there. But in the summer here in NYC, it can get to 100 up there, so an A/C is paramount.

If you have a few extra $$ I would definitely plan for whatever you will need for maximum comfort. After all, whats the point of having a cool from and then not being able to use it whenever you want.
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

OK - hadn't spotted this until I stalked your recent posts (hey - it's a good thing - it's like the Clubhouse version of "following" (but I ****ing REFUSE to use that "LIKE" smilie :lol: )

Just curious - why the timber + prime rather than laminate or coated chipboard/MDF etc. ?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#8 Post by tay666 »

Good question.

A few reasons.
1 - I'm cheap. And I had a bunch of this laying around.
2 - for the shelves themselves you need strength to hold those paint cans up. 1x6 allows me to span almost 4 feet without worrying too much about the boards bowing or breaking.
If I went with MDF or a laminated particle board, each shelf would need some extra support. Probably in the form of another strip along the edge to add rigidity. Also I don't like trusting those type materials with just screwing into the end.
With prefabricated stuff, there are usually pegs and other things to make that attachment more secure.
Could have used that stuff on the bottom portion, but see 3 & 4 for why I didn't.
3 - speed
This was a quick / easy project that I did.
I could have taken more time and made it look much nicer with just a few added steps. (like angle cutting the edge of the shelves to make them flush to the sides, etc). But this is just sitting in my workshop, and not a kitchen cabinet or piece of fine furniture, so I went with good enough. With luck, I am going to be banging cans against this thing for decades to come.
It's going to be used and abused (I know me). So no reason to go the extra lengths when I am prioritizing functionality over aesthetics.
MDF and laminated particle board don't hold up well to abuse. And once the surface is broken it degrades very rapidly.
4 - location
This is in my basement. I am still sorting out dampness / humidity issues down there.
Moisture is the Achilles heel of composite material. Moisture causes them to lose cohesion, and severely undermines strength.
Actual lumber OTOH is much more tolerant of damp conditions.

I did a lot of thinking about this project before I ever got to the point of being able to start on it.
I ran lots of scenarios and ideas through my head before ever putting pen to paper to sketch out what I wanted and figure out what I would need to buy. (one of the benefits of having ideas with no time/opportunity to do anything about them)

My actual workbench will be laminated. Basically because the old island countertop is laminated.
But since it is really old, it is laminated plywood, not particle board. So it is extremely sturdy (and heavy as hell).
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Good answer =D>

If you ever think about a change of career to Business analyst, it looks like you'd be able to write a good Business case :)

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#10 Post by Rocketeer »

I think laminate is a good choice for a workbench top. My own is laminate, and dried glue just pops off.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by bucketfoot-al »

My workbench is all lumber (built it myself), but I use a large engineered wood laminate piece you can buy in any large hardware store to actually cut/paint on ... its the one the green Trex is laying on in the photo ... that way I can also replace it when it gets too damaged ...

Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#12 Post by tay666 »

Sadly, work on my workspace has been put on hold the past few weeks due to car repairs.
Getting very tired of spending so much time under the wife's Jeep (not to mention the money on parts)

Since I have nothing new to show, or talk about, I thought I would show why I'm pretty much on hold for now.

This is where all my model stuff is.

That is a look at 2 of the 4 walls in what will eventually be my display room.
Yes, that's right, I will have an entire room in the house to display my goodies. The big catch though is, that room is going to take a lot of work.

If you look closely at the wall, you can see there are no less than 3 layers of paint/plaster showing.

So, before I can even think of building shelves, I first have to skim-coat the walls with fresh plaster. Then prime. Then paint.
Then I can finally design, cut, build/install the shelves. Paint those.

Then I can start digging into this pile

Which consists of unbuilt kits, built kits, in progress kits, paints, brushes, supplies, and some other collectibles that are mixed in.
For an idea of the scale of that pile. The ceiling in that room is 8.5 feet.
The pile is 5 feet deep, and 8 feet wide. And that isn't all of it!
There is the stuff on the other side, as well as the closet in that room is also packed full!

So.
It's gonna take a while.

At least if I get the bench done though, then I can pick at the edges to find some of the stuff to go down to the basement.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . Then I can start digging into this pile

Which consists of unbuilt kits, built kits, in progress kits, paints, brushes, supplies, and some other collectibles that are mixed in.
For an idea of the scale of that pile. The ceiling in that room is 8.5 feet.
The pile is 5 feet deep, and 8 feet wide. And that isn't all of it!
There is the stuff on the other side, as well as the closet in that room is also packed full! . . .
Call that a pile . . . tis but a scratch :) :oops:

Hope you can get this underway soon Trev - I KNOW how frustrating it is to have your plans interrupted with other responsibilities.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#14 Post by tay666 »

It doesn't help, I keep adding to that pile.
I took those pics when I took another box upstairs to add to it. I will have another one coming in the mail soon too. Some deals you just can't pass up.
Trevor Ylisaari

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#15 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote:It doesn't help, I keep adding to that pile.
I took those pics when I took another box upstairs to add to it. I will have another one coming in the mail soon too. Some deals you just can't pass up.
One word of advice about that, Tay: "RESIST!!!" :wink:

Whenever I go on a kit-buying spree, I always try to get rid of some stuff that I KNOW I will never get to afterwards .... with my wife's gentle encouragement ... speaking of which ... didya happen to see the two FINE dinosaur kits I just posted over in the "Swap 'n Sell"?

:rolf:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#16 Post by tay666 »

Actually, I've been on a bit of a Godzilla spree lately. Got all 3 busts during the Blackheart sale. Just scored the Max Factory G vs Mothra with the glow vinyl on ebay.
As well as the new prehistoric scenes add-ons.
Trevor Ylisaari

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#17 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote:Actually, I've been on a bit of a Godzilla spree lately. Got all 3 busts during the Blackheart sale. Just scored the Max Factory G vs Mothra with the glow vinyl on ebay.
As well as the new prehistoric scenes add-ons.
... ah-um ... nice haul ... and did you "pencil them in" to your "build-up calendar" yet?

This century - or next? :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

(I'm on a roll here - yes, we're all in the same boat here on the CH!!!)
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#18 Post by tay666 »

bucketfoot-al wrote:and did you "pencil them in" to your "build-up calendar" yet?
:green_rollin: :green_rollin:

That is a good one.
I have no schedule at all. I pull out whatever is in progress still, as well as a kit or two that get my attention. I work on those hoping to get at least half done by WF.
Along the way, something else comes along, takes center stage on the bench, and throws the plans for the others into total disarray.

Hopefully, once I have a dedicated work area, it will break this cycle.
I will actually be able to leave things out and pick them up to work on them whenever.
Instead of just the usual mad scramble from Jan to June then the longing to work on stuff but lack of desire to drag everything out in order to do so.
Trevor Ylisaari

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#19 Post by kevtk135 »

Cool that you'll have an entire room. I hear you on having to do the repairs beforehand. I'm in the attic, and in the beginning it was a typical rafters and the backside of the roof boards. I built the walls, and hung the drywall myself, but I needed a guy to come in and plaster and do the electric. Then I painted and did the rug by myself.
I still have to add more shelves-the shelves I had from Ikea are long since jam packed.
But little by little you'll "git er done!" ;)
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

splake
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#20 Post by splake »

Wow. you guys make me feel like a rookie. I get nervous and anxious when i have a ton of kits. Then I end up having a sell off keeping only a few I intend to build soon, then i feel better.. time passes, then I have regret for what I just sold and buy again, and the cycle repeats.