What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Want-A-Fest!

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: Want-A-Fest!

#21 Post by Tim Fortuna »

I am disappointed to find it is not a bust of a bearded and bald Mathew McConaughey. ;)
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#22 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote:I am disappointed to find it is not a bust of a bearded and bald Mathew McConaughey. ;)
Alright, alright, (etc.)

I'm sure our bud Dennis would agree - http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/memberl ... ile&u=1464

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#23 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
tay666 wrote:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/634859803? ... MZ0RFWHiPY

Painting a Reign of Fire Dragon Bust from Black Heart Models

Just like WF itself, there is so much to see that I cannot take it all in.
Had no idea that bust existed.

Thanks for the link Trev,

Neither did I.
George has been cranking out so many new pieces I can't keep up.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#24 Post by tay666 »

Almost forgot to mention. Things are still behind as far as the contest goes.
There was such a huge response, George is still wading through all the submissions and getting the photos up.
Not sure when the things will be ready for viewing, but it is gonna be epic!
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#25 Post by tay666 »

Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#26 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

So far, I've only gone through the "FIGURE" photos.
      • THERE ARE A LOT!!!!!
Amazing work in here - and a TON of modellers (and Clubhouse members) names I recognise.

Did people mail in their shots to George? (because they are all excellent/consistent quality).

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#27 Post by derekc62 »

Yes, all images were mailed to George and then he and a few others scrambled to get them all uploaded.
It was hoped the shots would be up by late afternoon but it ended up being more like late evening.
I think it was well over 600 entries with 3-4 shots of each kit entered.
A mammoth undertaking in a short amount of time since it seems most of the entries came in the last 24 hours before the deadline.
Since this was an on-line event you really had to pay attention to your photography skills.
Derek Conlon

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#28 Post by derekc62 »

I was really impressed by the quality of the busts even more than the figures.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#29 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote:Yes, all images were mailed to George and then he and a few others scrambled to get them all uploaded.
It was hoped the shots would be up by late afternoon but it ended up being more like late evening.
I think it was well over 600 entries with 3-4 shots of each kit entered.
A mammoth undertaking in a short amount of time since it seems most of the entries came in the last 24 hours before the deadline.
Since this was an on-line event you really had to pay attention to your photography skills.
Geez - well that speaks to people's photography skills as well as the modelling talent!

Not to mention George's patience & perseverance!

Impressive.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#30 Post by bucketfoot-al »

They are still uploading because a lot of entries weren't uploaded at first (undoubtedly due to George, Lyn & Norbert having to click/upload like crazy people today to get everything up-it was inevitable things would be missed. Frankly I was amazed they actually got it up today!).

So come back tomorrow, give them a chance to catch up, and then go through the entries again once they are updated. (Disclaimer: 3 of my entries were omitted due to the insane volume of entries swamping them system - but I re-sent them to George tonight).

My hat's off to him and the team. This thing just took off on them. The variety and craft that I've seen in the entries is downright awe-inspiring. Its great fun to see a few of my builds and kitbashes "bringing up the rear" :lol:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#31 Post by derekc62 »

bucketfoot-al wrote:
My hat's off to him and the team. This thing just took off on them. The variety and craft that I've seen in the entries is downright awe-inspiring. Its great fun to see a few of my builds and kitbashes "bringing up the rear" :lol:
I'm right behind you! :lol:
Derek Conlon

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#32 Post by Tim Fortuna »

That was awesome! Thanks for the links Trev.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#33 Post by tay666 »

This was posted a couple hours ago

"Hello, Want-A-Festers. What an awesome thing YOU folks have done for this hobby.

First, we hope his event helped provide some distraction from the tragedies of the last several days which are still playing out and likely will for a few more days. We also hope it provided some relief from whatever COVID19 social isolation most of you have observed during the last several weeks. Be safe out there folks.

Second, we hope you have been checking out all the cool videos and live-streaming by some amazing artists; photos of in-progress and completed works by fellow modelers and sculptors; new kits and good deals on modeling stuff from producers and hobby vendors, many of whom are participating in our Vendors Hall and in our Artist Alley; and videos and photos that take us tripping down memory lane to friends and happenings at past WonderFest conventions.

Third, YOU FOLKS BROKE FACEBOOK.

Before we tell you what that means, let us tell you this: the only change in how the model contest will be judged is that folks will have two or three additional votes to make when they vote. What we mean by that is that because of the numbers entered in our model contest, we have too many for three of the model kit categories to be judged by a Facebook Poll. We learned this morning that Facebook polls only allow up to 100 items to vote on in a poll. To have polls to accommodate the number of entries in our Figures, Busts and our Dioramas/Collections categories, we will need at least two polls for each. How the heck were we to know that we’d see well over 500 if not 600 entries??!!??

So, tonight we will be working late again to get polls up for folks to vote on the contest. You’ll have all day tomorrow to check out the work of Because of the delays in this thing, we will have voting end at Midnight tomorrow. We will do our best to get the polls finished tonight.

GeoS"
Trevor Ylisaari

Crazy Joe
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#34 Post by Crazy Joe »

derekc62 wrote:I was really impressed by the quality of the busts even more than the figures.

Agree wholeheartedly, Derek!
crazy joe

"Many miles away----- something rises to the surface...

of a dark........

Scottish.......

lake............"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmodels/albums

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#35 Post by Todd P. »

Lots of wonderful work shown. I wasn't going to make it to WonderFest so this was a great substitute.

Looks like the polls are still being worked out, and I haven't read a word about the raffles yet. I suspect it's going to be a few more days before everything's figured out. Which is terrific. I'm glad it went over so big.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#36 Post by bucketfoot-al »

I did a "thank you" music video for George Stephenson and the rest of the organizers on a 'spur of the moment' yesterday. At least THAT is getting a lot of "likes" (unlike my contest submissions!!! :rolf: )

Seriously, as I expected, mine are bringing up the rear and that's A-OK with me - just participating is giving me a buzz. :lol:

A lot of the work on dozens of the entries is mind-boggling and it is literally impossible to choose based on 'merit alone' because there are so many - how do you choose between a Picasso and a Matisse?

But the answer to that last question revealed itself easily to me - I am voting for the best in the subjects that INTEREST ME. (Which eliminates the vast majority of the entries and makes my job easier.) Makes me feel better too because it means I am choosing build ups that are not getting many (if any) votes, because horror and superheroes appear to be 'ruling the day' in terms of both submissions and votes. And those two categories I have little interest in.

Stop-motion and Godzilla have been my choices so far. No votes for dinosaurs because - other than mine - there are so few submitted :(

There are a few lighted-up horror dioramas I saw that I might have to vote for when the polls come up. (4 polls up so far, at least 4 more to go later today ...)
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#37 Post by derekc62 »

bucketfoot-al wrote:I am voting for the best in the subjects that INTEREST ME. (Which eliminates the vast majority of the entries and makes my job easier.) Makes me feel better too because it means I am choosing build ups that are not getting many (if any) votes

I started at the bottom of each list to give the otherwise unnoticed kits a fair chance to win my vote.

All four of my votes ended up going to submissions that were somewhere in the middle. It was nice to see them jump up a few notches due to just one person saying, 'good job.'
Derek Conlon

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#38 Post by tay666 »

Yet more videos keep turning up

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/636595552? ... iMFLplYA8c
Painting a Caracolilla Bust from Black Heart Models in Oils!

Almost 8 hours long :o
Trevor Ylisaari

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#39 Post by Todd P. »

The festival has been extended through June 7. Organizers are working to catch up on the workload, probably at the same time they've had to return to their days jobs.

There have been bugs, but overall I think they can call this a big success. Plus, plenty of lessons learned should they decide to try it again.

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#40 Post by barad_dur »

Thanks to all who put this fest together !
And thank you for posting the pics where us non-facebookers could see them.
See my model kit collection on YouTube Model Club TV Episode 86
See my kitbash work-in-progress pics in the Kustomizers section of the clubhouse
Thanks for looking !