What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Diamond Select Deadpool - now finished!

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Grahame
Brush Jockey

Diamond Select Deadpool - now finished!

#1 Post by Grahame »

Hi everyone,
After many years away from modelling I'm slowly but happily making a bit of a comeback & chose the Diamond Select Deadpool kit to practice on. I've had the kit for about 7 years, so it's about time! Before making this post I looked on the forums for other modellers examples & noticed comments re the fit of parts - I found it went together really well, altho I cut off the locating pins for snap-fit assembly, & used liquid cement & spruegoo to fill any seams etc.

Here's the basic figure in primer loosely positioned on the kit base. I didn't like the supplied moulded plastic 'smoke' that should be on the large rocket so I blanked off the end & added my own jet pipe, which is actually a nozzle from a cake icing bag (hopefully my wife won't miss it!).

This is the base with the rockets primed. In the photo the smaller rocket on the left is moulded as part of the rock it sits on & I didn't like the slightly soft join between, so I cut it off, removed the nosecone & tail, & added those to a new piece of tubing. Then I filled the hole in the rock with plastic card. The small rockets also don't have nozzles so I added those, using the caps from small tubes of artists oil paint.

This is my first attempt at painting the gun, which I've since changed. I didn't like the original barrels which were square so I cut those off & replaced them with metal tubes. I also added the sight on top, a scrap of plastic tubing.

So here's Deadpool with the basecoat red. I used The Army Painter acrylics, 2 thinned coats applied with a brush. It's the first time I've used these paints & I really like them.

Sadly I don't have 'in progress' photos of the painting, but the shading on the red parts of the suit was airbrushed (again with thinned Army Painter acrylics) & the black areas, details & weathering are brush painted. You can also see here the repainted gun.

And the other side. Here you can see the rocket nozzle that I added too.

Next job is the 2 swords & that will finish the figure itself, then I'll get the base done.

Many thanks for looking, more soon!
G
Last edited by Grahame on February 27th, 2023, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Diamond Select Deadpool

#2 Post by Buc Wheat »

looking good!

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Looks awesome so far, love the customization.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by LOBOREX »

Very cool so far.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#5 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Uber-cool!! Love it!

:like
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#6 Post by Grahame »

Many thanks for the replies & positive comments guys, much appreciated!

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by Tiger2 »

Very nice work, I don't know this kit, must look into it, my son is a major Deadpool fan!

Cheers,
Paul

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#8 Post by Grahame »

Tiger2 wrote:Very nice work, I don't know this kit, must look into it, my son is a major Deadpool fan!

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,

You can find these on Ebay but I don't see any in the UK, only Italy & America unfortunately

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#9 Post by Tiger2 »

Grahame wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:Very nice work, I don't know this kit, must look into it, my son is a major Deadpool fan!

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,

You can find these on Ebay but I don't see any in the UK, only Italy & America unfortunately
Many thanks for looking Grahame and a Happy New Year to you, I'll keep an eye out, you never know what floats through on eBay, might check Amazon out as well.

Cheers,
Paul

Grahame
Brush Jockey

Re: Diamond Select Deadpool - now finished!

#10 Post by Grahame »

Hi all, sorry it's been a while but finally I can post pics of my finished Deadpool figure!

In the last post I made I was ready to finish the two swords & then the base. So, the swords first - I covered the blades with chrome tape & painted the grips as per the box art. In the kit, the swords simply slide through two small loops on the body harness, but to me it was a bit off because Mr. Pool would be running around with bare razor-sharp swords flapping around! OK, he can self-heal & regenerate, but still... Anyway, I made two scabbards from thin card & a diamond shaped piece in-between, which looks similar to the movie & comic character. One sword had the blade removed & I glued the grip to one of the scabbards, meanwhile the other is fitted to DP's left hand.

Originally I was planning to use the large kit supplied missile on the base, but somehow I felt it detracted from Deadpool himself so I decided to do something else. After rummaging around in my garden I had a handful of stones that were pretty close in texture to the ones moulded into the base, they were fixed in place with PVA glue & then all were painted & dry brushed to more or less the same. Then I took the kit supplied unmasked head & using FIMO I made a Wolverine mask to fit, painted it up & put it under Deadpool's right foot instead of the smaller missile provided - thus turning the model into a decapitated victory pose from a classic character conflict!

There's a bit of gore at the back but I didn't want to go too crazy with that. A corresponding smear on the sword tells the story.

The last addition that I made was a strap on the gun - my first attempt was made from masking tape but it was too simplistic, so I made a new one from metal foil & bent wire for the buckles.

To finish the whole thing, I painted the base with slightly watered-down PVA & sprinkled sieved dry mud over, shook off the excess & gave it a light dust of matt lacquer. The figure & head were fitted (again with PVA) & a little more dry mud added around the left foot brought the whole thing together. Here's some overall shots:

Overall I'm happy with the result, it's not perfect by any means but I really enjoyed the build & painting, & my return to modelling!

Thanks for looking
G

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by bucketfoot-al »

That is bloody, gory, and EXTREMELY well-done. Not familiar with the character, but this I am sure this build up does it justice!!!

Nice customizations!

Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#12 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Very cool, love the customization. Came out excellent.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

spock
Site Admin
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by spock »

OUTSTANDING on so many levels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>
As a new member, I suggest that after you finish a kit, that you post it in the Model Museum for maximum enjoyment of the membership. Talent such as yours should be shared with as many as possible.
I for one am going to place it in the Clubhouse Gallery ASAP. https://theclubhouse1.net/piwigo/
The Clubhouse Model Gallery
When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is NOT what I had in mind!

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#14 Post by Grahame »

bucketfoot-al wrote:That is bloody, gory, and EXTREMELY well-done. Not familiar with the character, but this I am sure this build up does it justice!!!

Nice customizations!

Thank you! 8)

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#15 Post by Grahame »

Tim Fortuna wrote:Very cool, love the customization. Came out excellent.
Much appreciated! 8)

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#16 Post by Grahame »

spock wrote:OUTSTANDING on so many levels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>
As a new member, I suggest that after you finish a kit, that you post it in the Model Museum for maximum enjoyment of the membership. Talent such as yours should be shared with as many as possible.
I for one am going to place it in the Clubhouse Gallery ASAP. https://theclubhouse1.net/piwigo/
Many thanks for adding my model to the Clubhouse Gallery! 8) I've taken your advice & posted the finished item in the Model Museum too :D

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#17 Post by kevtk135 »

:like :like
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Scooke123 »

Very nicely done!! 👍👍👍👍
Steve Cooke