What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Customised McFarlane Traitor Guard

Customizing Action Figures, Dolls, Die Cast Vehicles and Other Toys. Also repainting, customizing and collecting Pre-Painted Statues.

Moderator: Moderators

Grahame
Brush Jockey

Customised McFarlane Traitor Guard

#1 Post by Grahame »

Hi everyone,

I haven't tried customising an action figure before but when I saw the 'artist proof' Traitor Guard from the Mcfarlane Warhammer: Darktide range I really wanted to give it a shot 8) Sadly I don't have any in-progress photos but hopefully the finished pics here will tell the story. The figure itself is 7" tall & the artist proof version comes in matt grey, ready to paint. I had a look online for colour ideas & the painted version of the guard, & the in-game version, are mostly black.. hmm.. well, the outfit & armour kind of reminded me of the shoretroopers from Star Wars: Rogue One & I liked the olive drab/sand combination, so I decided to go with that.

Altho the figure out of the box is matt grey I still undercoated with grey primer, & all the painting was done with The Army Painter acrylics by brush.

So, face first - here you can see the quality of the detail in the figure, it really is excellent & makes painting a lot easier. You can see I touched in the eyes & mouth with a little gloss after a coat of airbrushed Vallejo matt varnish.

Again here, the detail of the figure is clear & the texture of the tunic is very well done. The chains on the shoulder pad & in the hand came from my scrap box.

Before any painting, I covered the knee & elbow joints with tissue paper soaked in PVA glue, pushing it into creases & wrinkles to disguise the kit articulation.

The handles of the stick grenades are soft plastic & a bit too bendy for my taste, so I replaced them with short pieces of bamboo BBQ skewer.

The gun is really nicely detailed too, & at some point I plan to add a shoulder strap.

The next few photos show the wear & tear on the armour, scratches & damage etc.

Overall I really enjoyed this as a painting exercise, & I do plan to make a small base to replace the round plastic one supplied.

Thanks for looking 8)
Grahame

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Customised McFarlane Traitor Guard

#2 Post by barad_dur »

Cool modifications - great job hiding the figure joints !
See my model kit collection on YouTube Model Club TV Episode 86
See my kitbash work-in-progress pics in the Kustomizers section of the clubhouse
Thanks for looking !

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Beautiful weathering! Do you have a photo of the "straight" built figure so we can compare? You know, although I rarely do human figures, those - like everything else I do - I have bashed and bashed! So I would encourage you to continue in this vein, any time you see a figure that would look great as ... SOMETHING else ... :D :like
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#4 Post by Grahame »

barad_dur wrote: March 1st, 2024, 3:41 pm Cool modifications - great job hiding the figure joints !
Thank you, much appreciated :)

Grahame
Brush Jockey

#5 Post by Grahame »

bucketfoot-al wrote: March 1st, 2024, 3:42 pm Beautiful weathering! Do you have a photo of the "straight" built figure so we can compare? You know, although I rarely do human figures, those - like everything else I do - I have bashed and bashed! So I would encourage you to continue in this vein, any time you see a figure that would look great as ... SOMETHING else ... :D :like
Thanks for the compliments :)

This is a pic of the artist proof figure

And this is the factory painted version - excellent quality but a bit too dark for my preference

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by LOBOREX »

Very cool.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

tay666
Site Admin